Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] I think i love that from Hurzeler

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
But give him the wrecked squad that RDZ had towards the end of the season, he’d have needed a D, E and F plan as well. In fact the whole sodding alphabet
No doubt we’ll find out. It does seem though that Hurzeler is more flexible in his tactics and team selection than RDZ but, as you alluded to, he has a much stronger squad to choose from than Roberto. By the way I loved what Roberto did for the club - 2023 January to May and our European tour at the end of the year were without doubt the most exciting and enjoyable times I’ve experienced watching the Albion.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Did you feel the same after our second half performance vs Spurs?

And did you enjoy the few months of absolute dog shit RDZ served up after our defeat to Roma?

Sure the last 4 months were poor but prior to that, especially the season before, it was superb. Most of his time here was, and the 4 months were as much to do with injuries as they were RDZ checking out.

Of course the second half against Spurs was great, it wouldn’t have been needed if the first half wasn’t so abysmal.

Tbf we are definitely improving and it’s to early to see how our football will be once it’s all up to speed and we are playing as Fab wants. I am not trying to say I think it’s bad or anything. Just I liked the game as we played it for the most part under RDZ and I’m kind of worried Hurzeler’s style is effective but less fun to watch.

Last edited:

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Huge credit to Hurzeler, if we'd have got spanked he'd have got pelters for that line-up.
As the Athletic points out, we have the most cosmopolitan line-up in the league. So many of our players have to travel serious distances for internationals, it's not surprising some of those were on the bench.

Last edited:

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
My opinion of him tumbled dramatically his last 6 months with us when he stubbornly refused to adapt his tactics to our opponents' style of play. Never the sign of a great coach, imo.

Fully agree. It was his refusal to change tactics when he didn't have the squad needed to play like that due to the injuries. I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to a dummy spit because Bloom wouldn't break the bank for him and he just decided to be bloody-minded in response. Bloody ridiculous.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Fully agree. It was his refusal to change tactics when he didn't have the squad needed to play like that due to the injuries. I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to a dummy spit because Bloom wouldn't break the bank for him and he just decided to be bloody-minded in response. Bloody ridiculous.
Having just lost that game to Fulham 0-3 we weren’t exactly in good form, so not giving due respect to Roma a few days later was stubbornness beyond belief and contempt to employers and fans alike.

He’s was lucky to inherit the team he did - managers usually come into clubs struggling. He certainly kept the momentum going in 22-23, but most of his success was built on the foundations of Potter’s team.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Sure the last 4 months were poor but prior to that, especially the season before, it was superb. Most of his time here was, and the 4 months were as much to do with injuries as they were RDZ checking out.

Of course the second half against Spurs was great, it wouldn’t have been needed if the first half wasn’t so abysmal.

Tbf we are definitely improving and it’s to early to see how our football will be once it’s all up to speed and we are playing as Fab wants. I am not trying to say I think it’s bad or anything. Just I liked the game as we played it for the most part under RDZ and I’m kind of worried Hurzeler’s style is effective but less fun to watch.
I'd say October 22 to October 23 were amazing times under de Zerbi, and the football was some of the best I've seen but from November 23 to May 24 was absolute dross in the league (losing 0-4 to Luton, for God's sake). He was only here 18 months, of which 2/3 was insane, amazing, enthralling football and 1/3 was sulky, uninterested, slow and plodding. Like most, I prefer to remember his reign for the first 2/3.

I don't know how Hürzeler will net out, but right now I'd take effective and less fun over ineffective and fun (although I'd say that Spurs was both effective and fun), especially whilst he finds his feet.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

The trouble with RdZ was once he was ’sussed’ he wouldn’t/couldn’t change his tactical mindset. TBF, it’s a common theme with coaches .. CH was the same as was Gus and to a lesser extent Potter.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Or as Potter put is when he left ... the team are performing at a high level ... and will only get better .. which they very clearly did

But GP needed the
Make It Rain Money GIF by Tim and Eric

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
I wouldn’t be surprised if Roberto threw a Poyet-lite hissy fit with Uncle Tony - and we all know who would win that battle.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Of course stuff like this is all about opinions, but I can't really understand negativity against the manchild. We've played 4 of the so called big six, plus Everton and Newcastle away and we've only lost one game. Even though we should have won the game, a point against this forest team isn't terrible.

I'd agree that the football isn't as good as peak de Zerbi but we've also had a lot of injuries and the games have been hard.

As someone else said, we get the wins against Ipswich and Forest and we would be top of the league.

And I will say that with more european games than ever before, we will see top teams losing more games than we are used to. Get a few injuries back and we are in a great place.

Until wolves screw us 2-0 at home.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Lessons clearly learned from the Chelsea game just after the last international break, when we used players that clearly had very little energy in the tank.

Resting most of the globetrotters was a good call and think we'll go with that again in three days or whenever the next international break is.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
It's always slightly unnerving when we change manager, but things are rolling along rather nicely. FH has shown a touch of pragmatism which can only be a positive IMHO.

billhems

NSC Patron
Oct 23, 2022
I thought two things at half time yesterday. Impressed that Hurz is pragmatic enough to change his approach when needed, and grateful that we don't have to watch the low block, long ball every week. We've really been spoilt with the standard of football we get to watch every week for the last couple of years.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
These are a good process.

I’m still not fully convinced by him tbh. Got a bit lucky first half. The line was ridiculous v Chelsea and Spurs. But glad he had the nerve to completely change it today at the same time. Want him to learn quickly whilst still picking up results, so happy overall.

Sometimes I really do question the opinions of our fans. We are 5th ffs. He is doing a great job and is showing pragmatism which exactly what we were missing last season. I like him, ALOT. We have the player now to be risky at times.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
I thought two things at half time yesterday. Impressed that Hurz is pragmatic enough to change his approach when needed, and grateful that we don't have to watch the low block, long ball every week. We've really been spoilt with the standard of football we get to watch every week for the last couple of years.
A tweak to our approach to a tricky away game felt right. Different vibe of course if we'd lost, but the smash 'n' grabbiness of the result left a warm glow. I'm sure we'll have Hurlitzer back next game rather than Houghton.

Shaktarman

Sep 19, 2022
Sometimes I really do question the opinions of our fans. We are 5th ffs. He is doing a great job and is showing pragmatism which exactly what we were missing last season. I like him, ALOT. We have the player now to be risky at times.
That’s cool - it’s a weird niggle of mine - maybe it’s a bit ageist too. Just a worry I have and have had since the fans forum. Chelsea was horrendous and he didn’t change it at 1-0 up when it was obvious. First half v Spurs too. That’s my reasoning. It may seem mad to you, and I’m usually very positive, but I still am not fully convinced by him. Again, I’m allowed to express an opinion on the message board aren’t I?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here