Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] I think i love that from Hurzeler

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I f***ing loved today but I'm old enough to remember when our knobhead fanbase turned on Hughton for winning 1-0 like that 3 games in a row - including a very similar performance at St James' park.

Glad to see this game being rightly celebrated
Except the difference is, the entire season had been like that all season. We were worried. We then were almost relegated that season. That was the first time we have seen us play that way. That is what makes me happy about today, we completely changed our tactics.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I’m going to get rinsed for this but I miss RDZ and DeZerbiball. Obviously delighted we won but it’s not nearly as good to watch.
We're 5th in the league man. And without some key players and one key summer signing. As soon as dezerbiball was found out we didn't have a plan b. Hence a significant decline. The best managers are those who are willing to adapt styles to win games, and are able to do so. Rode our luck a little today, but Newcastle have a f***ing good record at their place, so today was a great sign, imo

And flogged our players like beasts of burden.
Actually our players working hard flogging themselves to death is precisely how I’d describe Fab’s style, albeit he is tactically flexible as many others have pointed out.

The big difference is Fab has the option to bring on huge waves of subs in the second half that don’t weaken the team and preserve the players, so we are getting results in the business end of the game. As we saw with Mitoma today, it actually strengthened the team to a much better second half performance than the first. RDZ wanted that too, but horrendous injuries and poor recruitment denied him the options Fab has now, even tho with his rotation policy RDZ was clearly signalling that this is how successful teams work

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It was a thoroughly professional smash-and-grab style away performance.

Exactly the type of thing we've been victims of at the Amex where we curse our luck, or laud the opposing manager for doing a job on Potter / De Zerbi /
Hurzeler.

And, like many others, I'm f***ing well here for it.

We're 5th in the league man. And without some key players and one key summer signing. As soon as dezerbiball was found out we didn't have a plan b. Hence a significant decline. The best managers are those who are willing to adapt styles to win games, and are able to do so. Rode our luck a little today, but Newcastle have a f***ing good record at their place, so today was a great sign, imo

He’d probs agree with everything you said there - but his point is different, that the possession football of Potter and RDZ is a better watch than the more direct and counterattacking style that Fab favours overall (tho yes we also played some good passing in the second half).

I tend to agree with him but that doesn’t mean we aren’t as ecstatic as anyone else about victories. Having sat in a coach for more than 8 hours up to Newcastle, you are bloody well delighted with wins by any means necessary!

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
No need for that ffs🤷
I stand by it. All in the past now but what sort of entitled fanbase moans about a team battling to stay up successfully grinding out clean sheets and wins!?

We've spent a few hundred million since then and thankfully most people see today for what it is, as it was then. A fantastic result in a results business.

We all did - until we got found out. Unfortunately the last four months of his tenure were awful. The difference is Fab has a Plan A, B and C .
But give him the wrecked squad that RDZ had towards the end of the season, he’d have needed a D, E and F plan as well. In fact the whole sodding alphabet

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Pragmatic, not married to a system, got us a win at one of the hardest away days of the season. No high line, no wingers, there you go Newcastle, we're just going to be solid and compact and we're going to restrict you to two or three decent chances in the 90. Yes it wasn't pretty for long periods, and yes, several players weren't at their best, but that was a performance that said we want the win, we don't care how we get it, we mean business. And as I'm up on cloud nine at the final whistle, that will do me Fab 😀
And, in the second half, in-between defending very well...we played some lovely stuff that kept Newcastle worried about our counter attacks. Really good performance 👏🏼👏🏼.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Horse shit of course, those 3 wins came in October. We were expected to be in a relegation scrap then. 3 wins in a row and people moaned because we were winning without style. It's still mental looking back.
Thats also horseshit, as i remember the wolves game. The commentator saying two teams who should be aiming for mid table. We were also on course to do it until the new year rolled around.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
i don’t imagine he’ll make it a regular occurrence like hughton did but it’s really good to know we have the ability to play like that in our back pocket. we’ll need that if we get into into the latter rounds of the cups and hopefully, in the future, back into europe. seen city and arsenal do it plenty of times.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Thats also horseshit, as i remember the wolves game. The commentator saying two teams who should be aiming for mid table. We were also on course to do it until the new year rolled around.
Lol. A team with Gaten Bong, Ali Jahanbaksh, Beram Kayal and Dale Stephens in the Premier League. Our fans were absolute bellends about it then. Those wins took us to 11th, until our entitled fanbase started demanding a more attacking team, Hughton wrongly changed formation and we fell apart.

Fortunately most people have realised today that results matter over performances. And today was one of them. 40% posession and an absolute masterclass from Verbruggen and the defence despite our squad today 'only' costing the best part of 200 million. And i bloody loved it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pragmatic, not married to a system, got us a win at one of the hardest away days of the season. No high line, no wingers, there you go Newcastle, we're just going to be solid and compact and we're going to restrict you to two or three decent chances in the 90. Yes it wasn't pretty for long periods, and yes, several players weren't at their best, but that was a performance that said we want the win, we don't care how we get it, we mean business. And as I'm up on cloud nine at the final whistle, that will do me Fab 😀
It was more than this. Bart made three great saves at the very last.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here