Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus: Not happy with two players

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
If Gus thinks that Vicente is an out and out forward, maybe we should worry....I hope that's the last time he asks him to play there.

This was our problem last night. This is just not vicente's position, we lacked a striker's instinct in and around the box. Vicente should be the supply

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...
This was our problem last night. This is just not vicente's position, we lacked a striker's instinct in and around the box. Vicente should be the supply

This. He is too good a player to be stuck up front. He was trying to do it all last night, meaning that he went far out of position, meaning there was no one in the box. I am also baffled by the playing of barnes as a winger. IMO should be played at striker.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Harley and Dicker just went AWOL and I really wonder at those that keep defending Harley when the total contribution of his Albion career can be summarised in about 10 words. The general retort is "he didn't do anything wrong" my view is "he didn't do anything right", indeed "he didn't do anything". It wouldn't matter who we had up front if we have no MF they'll never get any decent chances. The absence of those 2 meant everything had to go through the FB's and it was so predictable.

I hope they were both absent because they were admiring and learning from their number 10, a decent player but no better, he had a bit of hunger and drive and wanted to make things happen and not prance around.

Noone was cack too

Bollox, woken up really angry!!

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
It's a tough one. I do think our current squad is too big and should be trimmed as people were hoping for at the end of last season until everyone found out most of the squad had been granted contract extensions to the end of this season. Navarro's wasn't hence why he left. Mi do think Sparrow should go together with Dicker and possibly Harley. In my view jury is still out in Harley - he was a target for some time so there must be something there. If Vicente had not been signed I think he would be playing a lot more - although saying that he featured very little last season when El Punal was out for so long.

I do think Vincelot should stay though. His versatility is a real strength and he is a decent player who fits into our side well based on the occasions lat year when he played.

Out: Dicker and Sparrow
Maybe out: Harley
Keep: Vincelot

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'll be interested to know what Sparrow has actually done wrong.....

He's a solid performer who drives on and has scored a few goals when given the opportunity. I think people are being a little harsh on Dicker, who had a off-night (but generally is in the 'just about ok' category in the Championship). Harley, however is woeful, offers nothing, for a creative midfield player he never demands the ball and basically hides. Noone has no confidence and his decision making is 'shot' at the minute. The other player who I just can't see has to be Dunk, who looks a shadow of himself defensively.

Why is El-Abd not playing?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
This. He is too good a player to be stuck up front. He was trying to do it all last night, meaning that he went far out of position, meaning there was no one in the box. I am also baffled by the playing of barnes as a winger. IMO should be played at striker.

Agreed. It was totally baffling. Maybe Gus thinks Vicente can do everything?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Please please please be talking about Dicker, he really shouldn't be near the first team.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
I love Noone but he had a shocker last night, his final delivery was woeful. Although, I highly doubt he is one of the 2 mentioned. I actually thought Harley didn't play too bad (compared to previously) but again our midfield was completely over run and Bridcutt had no support from either Harley or Dicker.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Confirmed as Sparrow and Vincelot

Attachments

• P1090071edit.jpg
    P1090071edit.jpg
    865.4 KB · Views: 133

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Confirmed as Sparrow and Vincelot

Blimey .... gobsmacked TBH ... I think he's got this all wrong. "In Gus we trust" has never been so pertinent, just hope he knows what he's doing. Surely he would want to reconsider after last night?

Albion4Ev3R

Aug 23, 2010
Hove
Noone and Dunk they were worst players on the pitch for me dunk just let benson walk past him and noone couldn't put a ball in the box even if he'd picked it up and threw it

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Really surprised. Sparrow was having a good run in the team last year up to his unfortunate red cards. Vincelot always looks good and is incredibly versitlie. After last night performance i dont understand that decision at all. I would have thought it puts both these players in the frame to play. Harley and Dicker were anonymous, noone terrible and Greer and dunk had shockers.

I think its strange that this would come out a few days before the season - why not announce when you got rid of Navarro and see if you get bids for them etc.

Really strange one for me. But what do i know about footy???

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
What does it say,why are those 2 being axed?

I would of put my mortgage on one of the 2 being Harley, I didn't even realise he was on the pitch until he was subbed.

Oh well, Gus knows more about football than I do fortunately.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Gus must have a midfield player lined up as well as a striker as we aren't exactly spoilt for choice.

When I saw the selection of Harley last night I thought 'can't imagine Matt Sparrow is very happy with that' then when Harley (as predicted) has an absolute shocker and is replaced before the hour mark it would have been the perfect opportunity for Sparrow to come on (much more a like-for-like to crofts than Harley will ever be) yet we play a right back in central midfield. Seems to me that was a tactic by Poyet to frustrate Sparrow into leaving, if I was Sparrow I'd be less than impressed.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
It's a tough one. I do think our current squad is too big and should be trimmed as people were hoping for at the end of last season until everyone found out most of the squad had been granted contract extensions to the end of this season. Navarro's wasn't hence why he left. Mi do think Sparrow should go together with Dicker and possibly Harley. In my view jury is still out in Harley - he was a target for some time so there must be something there. If Vicente had not been signed I think he would be playing a lot more - although saying that he featured very little last season when El Punal was out for so long.

I do think Vincelot should stay though. His versatility is a real strength and he is a decent player who fits into our side well based on the occasions lat year when he played.

Out: Dicker and Sparrow
Maybe out: Harley
Keep: Vincelot
Agree with you Davey, Vincelot is a good versatile man for the squad. Should'nt read too much in two DS on the bench...it's giving them experience in the first team squad. As a nice guy as Dicker is,he is too slow for the Championship. When Crofty returns and Lua Lua/Buckley we will just be missing that big striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here