Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ferdi Kadioglu **Singed 27/08/24**

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
As a Fenerbahce fan that also follows Brighton games since I know Ferdi from the early days he joined our club (I think he was around 15-16 yo) I did not like this input. While I agree Turkish league is not as hard as English one, but the top 3 of that league can easily be top 5 in Dutch, French and Portugal for instance, and probably mid-table in EPL.

Fenerbahce plays Europe consistently and gets okay results. So it's not like Ferdi was some secret gem nobody knew in a relegation team of second division of Brazil.
Yes, I found the original comment about the Turkish league disrespectful. Galatasaray have been European Cup/Champions League finalists a few times and won the Uefa Cup and Fenerbahce have been close too. I've been to the Sukru Saracoglu and it was one the best atmospheres I've ever experienced at a game. I don't recall many empty seats with five minutes to go either.

Professor Plum

NSC Patron
Jul 27, 2024
As a Fenerbahce fan that also follows Brighton games since I know Ferdi from the early days he joined our club (I think he was around 15-16 yo) I did not like this input. While I agree Turkish league is not as hard as English one, but the top 3 of that league can easily be top 5 in Dutch, French and Portugal for instance, and probably mid-table in EPL.

Fenerbahce plays Europe consistently and gets okay results. So it's not like Ferdi was some secret gem nobody knew in a relegation team of second division of Brazil. He was among the top 3 or top 5 in creating chances or key passes in the Euros, almost close to KDB. And Ferdi was trained by great coaches, Philip Cocu, Vitor, Vítor Pereira, Jorge Jesus. All of these coaches had championship trophies in Europe or saw finals in European competitions. I am a little sad that Ferdi had to leave without working with Mou, but I am not sure if it would give him a new mentality since I believe Mou is better at boosting players with, I hate to say it, but third or second world nationality players. Ferdi is half Dutch, he would prefer a professional coach than a moral-boosting coach in my opinion.

As for my personal input for Ferdi.. When he came to this club he was just a kid that likes to play in offensive middle or in the wings. He showed quality but was not consistent. I think it was Vitor that made him defensive back. I've been watching him for years every week since then.
I think if you want to get best out of him you have to play 3-5-2. He will never be great with 4-3-3 unless you find someone on the left wing with game-making, ball holding qualities like Dusan Tadic. Ferdi shined behind him as he would get the ball, turn his back to the opponent and hold the ball until Ferdi dribbles through corner line or gets into a position in front of the box to deliver a good cross. You have seen him delivering nice crosses when he is around the box, he will probably score a banger from there eventually as well. But if you expect him to be a defensive beast that no fast player will get past him, I think Ferdi option wasn't the best here. He was never great defensively. What made him special there he was good with the ball when the game gets stuck there and he has clean tackles. Other than that you have a solid back that can cover his back while he is dribbling.
One final note about him, some days he plays bad. Good thing about that you will eventually realize he knows he is playing bad. He even admits it in the post game interviews and you can see him in the pitch he is trying to compensate his previous mistakes by running 3x more than he does. His mistakes usually involves bad passing choices when pressed in the defense, or getting past by after an unmature tackle. In those matches he tries to play more guaranteed and tries to do 1-2 great things, this was my problem with him because we always needed his magic instead of his guaranteed play.

Currently I see him playing more guaranteed to understand the dynamics of the league, I hope he won't be keeping that too long and you will see what he is. He is defensively better at right wing, offensively better at left wing. I always wanted to see him playing n8 but nobody was brave enough to try. Maybe 1-2 matches I don't remember. He is a true baller that will play the entire season 90mins back to back without single complaint. No problems with coaches, no mentality problems, no nightlife problem, I always loved professional people like that and that's why I will always be cheering for your team as long as he is there!
Great post @Orderabi - thanks for taking the trouble to offer such an interesting view. The great majority of Brighton fans are fair-minded but like football fans the world over, we all get a bit emotional and irrational occasionally, some more so than others. Please don’t be offended.

Ferdi was very warmly welcomed here and I’m certain will be a massive asset to the team and to the club. I met him very briefly when he walked around to meet the fans before Crawley game. He seemed a really friendly guy with plenty of personality. Excellent player too though like any new arrival it will take a while for the coach to work out how best he can benefit the team.

Attachments

• EEE4B06B-00E7-48E6-BA7E-A6F9F2E8640F.jpeg
    EEE4B06B-00E7-48E6-BA7E-A6F9F2E8640F.jpeg
    347.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 4E4A6D45-E778-42BB-BE17-EEFD2A2FFCE3.jpeg
    4E4A6D45-E778-42BB-BE17-EEFD2A2FFCE3.jpeg
    353.5 KB · Views: 27

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
As @7:18 has pointed out, he stated that he preferred playing at left-back when he was interviewed shortly after signing for Albion (Episode 5 of Brighton Unlocked).

:shrug:
Alright, missed that. Well, either way he seems to think he is comfortable in both roles. Hopefully now with Pervis getting back on track, he can be more carefully introduced to the league than starting against some top teams.

Last edited:

Orderabi

Oct 9, 2024
Great post @Orderabi - thanks for taking the trouble to offer such an interesting view. The great majority of Brighton fans are fair-minded but like football fans the world over, we all get a bit emotional and irrational occasionally, some more so than others. Please don’t be offended.

Ferdi was very warmly welcomed here and I’m certain will be a massive asset to the team and to the club. I met him very briefly when he walked around to meet the fans before Crawley game. He seemed a really friendly guy with plenty of personality. Excellent player too though like any new arrival it will take a while for the coach to work out how best he can benefit the team.

Oh no, we are all on the same page I wasn't offended but thank you all for your nice messages. Obviously EPL is quality, I think anyone who loves the game would prefer watching your league than any other on a Sunday night. (Except City matches lol) I was just trying to say the Turkish league is actually not that bad. I remember Dirk Kuyt and Rvp and few others talking to international media about it, they all said it doesn't play as easy as it looked from outside. Its not as physical as EPL but its more like Turkey national team plays against Turkey national team if you know what I mean. ( suddenly nonames become darkhorses and pull the deadliest counter-plays).
I would even say the league itself became park the bus simulation in the last years, that probably made Ferdi defensively less developed but offensively more efficient, but probably it was the Euros performance that made you buy him by bidding highest, according to our news it was you, United or Dortmund. And if you haven't watched Turkey's Euros run, I think you should just return and watch the games full 90 mins, not only because of Ferdi but for the sake of enjoying the football we all were craving for years, and I am saying that because England has always been my second favorite national team 😭. I was always thinking Owen Hargreaves will be the next big thing.

I've read a news-piece about your board, they are good at selling players. I wouldn't be surprised if they sell Ferdi double the price you bought him, maybe that was the whole project from the beginning.

Let's make some geordies sad this weekend!

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022

Fenerbahce plays Europe consistently and gets okay results. So it's not like Ferdi was some secret gem nobody knew in a relegation team of second division of Brazil. He was among the top 3 or top 5 in creating chances or key passes in the Euros, almost close to KDB. And Ferdi was trained by great coaches, Philip Cocu, Vitor, Vítor Pereira, Jorge Jesus. All of these coaches had championship trophies in Europe or saw finals in European competitions. I am a little sad that Ferdi had to leave without working with Mou, but I am not sure if it would give him a new mentality since I believe Mou is better at boosting players with, I hate to say it, but third or second world nationality players. Ferdi is half Dutch, he would prefer a professional coach than a moral-boosting coach in my opinion.

As for my personal input for Ferdi.. When he came to this club he was just a kid that likes to play in offensive middle or in the wings. He showed quality but was not consistent. I think it was Vitor that made him defensive back. I've been watching him for years every week since then.
I think if you want to get best out of him you have to play 3-5-2. He will never be great with 4-3-3 unless you find someone on the left wing with game-making, ball holding qualities like Dusan Tadic. Ferdi shined behind him as he would get the ball, turn his back to the opponent and hold the ball until Ferdi dribbles through corner line or gets into a position in front of the box to deliver a good cross. You have seen him delivering nice crosses when he is around the box, he will probably score a banger from there eventually as well. But if you expect him to be a defensive beast that no fast player will get past him, I think Ferdi option wasn't the best here. He was never great defensively. What made him special there he was good with the ball when the game gets stuck there and he has clean tackles. Other than that you have a solid back that can cover his back while he is dribbling.
One final note about him, some days he plays bad. Good thing about that you will eventually realize he knows he is playing bad. He even admits it in the post game interviews and you can see him in the pitch he is trying to compensate his previous mistakes by running 3x more than he does. His mistakes usually involves bad passing choices when pressed in the defense, or getting past by after an unmature tackle. In those matches he tries to play more guaranteed and tries to do 1-2 great things, this was my problem with him because we always needed his magic instead of his guaranteed play.

Currently I see him playing more guaranteed to understand the dynamics of the league, I hope he won't be keeping that too long and you will see what he is. He is defensively better at right wing, offensively better at left wing. I always wanted to see him playing n8 but nobody was brave enough to try. Maybe 1-2 matches I don't remember. He is a true baller that will play the entire season 90mins back to back without single complaint. No problems with coaches, no mentality problems, no nightlife problem, I always loved professional people like that and that's why I will always be cheering for your team as long as he is there!
Really interesting and insightful. Thanks.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Oh no, we are all on the same page I wasn't offended but thank you all for your nice messages. Obviously EPL is quality, I think anyone who loves the game would prefer watching your league than any other on a Sunday night. (Except City matches lol) I was just trying to say the Turkish league is actually not that bad. I remember Dirk Kuyt and Rvp and few others talking to international media about it, they all said it doesn't play as easy as it looked from outside. Its not as physical as EPL but its more like Turkey national team plays against Turkey national team if you know what I mean. ( suddenly nonames become darkhorses and pull the deadliest counter-plays).
I would even say the league itself became park the bus simulation in the last years, that probably made Ferdi defensively less developed but offensively more efficient, but probably it was the Euros performance that made you buy him by bidding highest, according to our news it was you, United or Dortmund. And if you haven't watched Turkey's Euros run, I think you should just return and watch the games full 90 mins, not only because of Ferdi but for the sake of enjoying the football we all were craving for years, and I am saying that because England has always been my second favorite national team 😭. I was always thinking Owen Hargreaves will be the next big thing.

I've read a news-piece about your board, they are good at selling players. I wouldn't be surprised if they sell Ferdi double the price you bought him, maybe that was the whole project from the beginning.

Let's make some geordies sad this weekend!
Agree with you on the Turkey national side. They were terrific in the summer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here