Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Extinction Rebellion protester grounds plane at London City...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I get the point, the cause is very important. However this continued disruption is very inconvenient for a lot of people

I have had transport delayed for all manner of reasons... primarily linked to rank incompetence or penny pinching by corporations. I’d much prefer a delay due to this cause.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Protest in towns and cities, fair enough. Gain as much attention to the cause as possible - also fair enough.

Disrupting a relatively small number of people intending to fly is the behaviour of an utter selfish wanker. It's not for me, this bloke. No better than people who flew drones in order to stop people flying to or from Gatwick. They don't have the right to disrupt people's lives.

Do we have the right to live in a way that will mean that parts of Bangladesh and the Maldives disappear (amount the many many other consequences)? Nice one. Watch the Jonathan Pie clip to educate yourself.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
What good did he do on the plane this morning? None. It was the act of a selfish wanker. Who wants to be delayed on a plane by a preacher? The flight is happening regardless, he's offering nothing.

I understand what they're protesting about and why, and obviously climate change is THE single most important thing to address (rather than Rooney's wife vs Vardy's wife) - but one prat on a plane isn't the way. It gets publicity, but not sympathetic publicity. March through London, fine. Give public interviews to educate the electorate to elect people with appropriate views on how to combat climate change, etc. But gluing yourself to a train? Standing up and refusing to leave a plan? Piss off.

Your solutions however well intended aren't working. That's the point. Governments are doing very very little/making things worse.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Haha, are you for real?

What a hypocrite that you are worried about the climate but fecking it up on a business jolly.

They have a lovely lot of plastic tents too I noticed, they are just a bunch of activists that love being wa**ers as they are smacked out of their paranoid heads on drugs.

Your words sounds like they came out of Boris's mouth. Pillow talk perhaps.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
History shows us peaceful protests / marches solve nothing.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The likes of Andrew Neil and Piers Morgan pick and choose who they want to interview very carefully. They are cowards and bullies.
George Monbiot (who is well informed, articulate, an experienced media operator and understands the science very well) has said he very much wants to be intereveiwed by them...but they won't have him on.
Yes Morgan absolutely tore into a women the other morning for having a TV, he's an absolute cretin along with that stuck up bint next to him.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The Green party and the Labour Party have understood. Other parties have not.

Labour leadership support green policy while in opposition, while some of the electorate are in love with the idea. once they cotton that theres no industrial jobs in the green utopia, they'll drop it for pragmatic policy.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
[tweet]1182081931804119040[/tweet]

Interesting Andrew Neil 'Extinction Rebellion' interview.

Andrew Neil. The big defender of children's rights with a long history of campaigning for children's wellbeing. That Andrew Neil? He often comes across as a bully. Bullies are scared of others. He's scared of interviewing George Monbiot.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
More inconvenient than mass migration caused by climate change? More inconvenient than droughts, flooding, mass species extinction, habitat loss and the threat of global catastrophe?

Quite, the inconvenience has been very trivial so far. These people are far better citizens than myself....

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
All the time we have absolute ***** in charge like Johnson and Trump, that only understand money, we're doomed!

D

Deleted member 2719

A generator you say?

Gosh, well that proves it, climate change is definitely NOT happening and nothing needs to change.

Thank you for helping me see the light

I never have said things don't need to change, but these eco warriors are such hypocrites in fact most people who confess to being green really talk crap, I blame it on the smack.

View attachment 116050

Imagine trying to use The Express as a reputable source :lolol::lolol:
A true eco warrior would not have anything plastic, They would have a sheep named Caroline, and a spinning wheel and some hand sheep shears, to make their clothing with. They would have No car and never use planes.
Smell because they don't have many baths or deodorants.

I have never met a true green, just the upper-class type that professes to be eco and the smackheads that don't know what planet they are on.

Is there a true eco-warrior on this board............of course not they would not have a device to post on.

Your words sounds like they came out of Boris's mouth. Pillow talk perhaps.
Well if I was going to bed with Boris there would not be a lot of talking, he would clearly be pole dancing.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Protest in towns and cities, fair enough. Gain as much attention to the cause as possible - also fair enough.

Disrupting a relatively small number of people intending to fly is the behaviour of an utter selfish wanker. It's not for me, this bloke. No better than people who flew drones in order to stop people flying to or from Gatwick. They don't have the right to disrupt people's lives.

Absolutely. these idiots just manage to cheese off potential supporters with their antics, and I cannot see governments bowing to this, as they know full well that the broad mass of the public do not want to be disrupted, however sympathetic they might be to the idea of action against climate change.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I have had transport delayed for all manner of reasons... primarily linked to rank incompetence or penny pinching by corporations. I’d much prefer a delay due to this cause.

Oh, spare us, please. I can just see you congratulating them when the delay is such that you miss the Albion due to your flight being delayed. And with regular flights for matches, you are going to tell us next how keen you are on saving the planet . .

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
i agree something needs to be done on climate change.

But to think these people are just targeting the airline industry is something that really bothers me. Granted, I work in the airline industry; i am fully aware the industry needs to adapt new technology.

But that research and development cannot be rushed. The new Airbus NEO planes are 17% more fuel efficient, research is being conducted on hybrid engines. But this CANNOT be rushed when we are considering there are people's lives at stake.

Prior to working in the airline industry, I worked for Cemex. Cement manufacturing is one of the most energy intensive industries out there. The production of Clinker is terrible and I could be wrong (please let me know if i am) but cement manufacturing contributes almost 2x as much carbon emissions as the airline industry. Cemex had no interest in developing new technology or investigating other means of producing clinker. They had no reason too.

Where are the protests against energy intensive industries such as Cement, steel and the like? There isn't. Because targeting one industry like the airline industry garners attention; but unfortunately the wrong kind of attention.These people can look like martyrs without doing all too much.

There are much worse industries out there. No protests against them, no shouting or scrutinising of them. Instead, these people will listen to what Greta says and without much thought or investigation of their own, take is as gospel.

The spraying of red paint on the Treasury department is nothing sort of 'sheeple' claiming they're only interested in economic growth. A line which Greta used. These people are showing a resilience to sitting down and thinking, what's going to impact the environment more? How else can I help raise the profile of climate change? They'd rather let someone else do the thinking. That's the tragedy of this.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I never have said things don't need to change, but these eco warriors are such hypocrites in fact most people who confess to being green really talk crap, I blame it on the smack.

A true eco warrior would not have anything plastic, They would have a sheep named Caroline, and a spinning wheel and some hand sheep shears, to make their clothing with. They would have No car and never use planes.
Smell because they don't have many baths or deodorants.

I have never met a true green, just the upper-class type that professes to be eco and the smackheads that don't know what planet they are on.

Is there a true eco-warrior on this board............of course not they would not have a device to post on.

Well if I was going to bed with Boris there would not be a lot of talking, he would clearly be pole dancing.

It’s not about being perfect or all or nothing, it’s about reducing our impact on the environment. It’s like Pie says, we contribute to society so therefore of course we are hypocrites but it’s better than being an ********.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
i agree something needs to be done on climate change.

But to think these people are just targeting the airline industry is something that really bothers me. Granted, I work in the airline industry; i am fully aware the industry needs to adapt new technology.

But that research and development cannot be rushed. The new Airbus NEO planes are 17% more fuel efficient, research is being conducted on hybrid engines. But this CANNOT be rushed when we are considering there are people's lives at stake.

Prior to working in the airline industry, I worked for Cemex. Cement manufacturing is one of the most energy intensive industries out there. The production of Clinker is terrible and I could be wrong (please let me know if i am) but cement manufacturing contributes almost 2x as much carbon emissions as the airline industry. Cemex had no interest in developing new technology or investigating other means of producing clinker. They had no reason too.

Where are the protests against energy intensive industries such as Cement, steel and the like? There isn't. Because targeting one industry like the airline industry garners attention; but unfortunately the wrong kind of attention.These people can look like martyrs without doing all too much.

There are much worse industries out there. No protests against them, no shouting or scrutinising of them. Instead, these people will listen to what Greta says and without much thought or investigation of their own, take is as gospel.

The spraying of red paint on the Treasury department is nothing sort of 'sheeple' claiming they're only interested in economic growth. A line which Greta used. These people are showing a resilience to sitting down and thinking, what's going to impact the environment more? How else can I help raise the profile of climate change? They'd rather let someone else do the thinking. That's the tragedy of this.

Of course there are protests against other industries. People are constantly protesting against animal agriculture as it has hugely damaging effects on our environment. But when the science suggests the two biggest things an individual can do to reduce their impact on the environment, flying and eating animal products, it’s hardly surprising that they are the industries targeted.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Of course there are protests against other industries. People are constantly protesting against animal agriculture as it has hugely damaging effects on our environment. But when the science suggests the two biggest things an individual can do to reduce their impact on the environment, flying and eating animal products, it’s hardly surprising that they are the industries targeted.

Not sure you even got a single point :ffsparr:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Not sure you even got a single point :ffsparr:

You were complaining about how people have protested against flying, citing other industries are worse yet people don’t protest them. I’ve given you a clear example of that not being the case and cited scientific research re the two things an individual can do to reduce their impact on the environment.

However, if I’ve misinterpreted your post please by all means point me in the right direction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here