Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Extinction Rebellion protester grounds plane at London City...

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Unless it's made law to go green it'll never change.
People think why should I change if some rich tosser just continues their life of luxury.
It needs everyone working collectively at the same time. Can you see that happening?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Livestock production is responsible for more greenhouse gas emissions than the whole of the transportation sector. Plus, it produces an awful lot of methane, which is around 40 times more damaging than CO2.
So, by all means stop flying - but if you are serious about saving the planet you need to give up meat.
Personally I find I’m flying more, but eating less meat....so, I’m getting there (but recognise that the flying bit needs some focus...)

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
are you going to provide citation, because the Guardian article doesnt.

It doesn't, because the article speculates entirely.
shithouse.JPG

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Unless it's made law to go green it'll never change.
People think why should I change if some rich tosser just continues their life of luxury.
It needs everyone working collectively at the same time. Can you see that happening?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Page 8 - https://assets.publishing.service.g...0/2017_Provisional_Emissions_statistics_2.pdf

Emissions are falling.

Not fast enough, but people completely content with just making people fly less and eat less meat to make themselves feel better about themselves.

Reality is, unless someone stands up to big industry (beyond aviation) it won't fall fast enough.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Uh, yes it has.

[1] Your anecdote....
[2] Uh, updated sources is very important. That's almost a decade old and new technologies introduced.
[3] Working assumption that a tax would work. I've mentioned 3 times now what they are. You've avoided the,
-
Minor changes towards how we live our lives are not enough.You're virtue signalling. It's all you're doing. No point discussing this with you any further.

My anecdote was in response to your statement that environmental issues haven’t been at the forefront of animal agriculture protests - they have. I know this as I have a number of vegan activivist friends who have been going to animal rights marches for the last decade.

Re the sources, they may be old but you haven’t offered any evidence that disproves them. Here is one from this year with the reference to the 2017 study suggesting people should fly less: ‪https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...arbon-emissions-global-warming-a9005051.html‬

Many sources have suggested that ‘minor changes’ to how we live our lives, like adopting a plant based diets, are the single biggest things individuals can do to lessen their own environmental impact

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...-plant-based-diet-humans-study-a8378631.html‬

And all you’re doing is indulging in whatabouttery. Concrete is bad. So is flying. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Many sources have suggested that ‘minor changes’ to how we live our lives, like adopting a plant based diets, are the single biggest things individuals can do to lessen their own environmental impact

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...-plant-based-diet-humans-study-a8378631.html‬

And all you’re doing is indulging in whatabouttery. Concrete is bad. So is flying. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

globally all agriculture is around 10% emissions while energy is ~46%. in the UK agriculture is 8%, with energy is 25% and transportation ~20%. i wonder how they contort their data or assumptions to arrive at the conclusion?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What good did he do on the plane this morning? None. It was the act of a selfish wanker. Who wants to be delayed on a plane by a preacher? The flight is happening regardless, he's offering nothing.

I understand what they're protesting about and why, and obviously climate change is THE single most important thing to address (rather than Rooney's wife vs Vardy's wife) - but one prat on a plane isn't the way. It gets publicity, but not sympathetic publicity. March through London, fine. Give public interviews to educate the electorate to elect people with appropriate views on how to combat climate change, etc. But gluing yourself to a train? Standing up and refusing to leave a plan? Piss off.

This.

And I tend to take people more seriously if they have showered in the morning.

In Brazil the nutjob government is destroying the rain forests. This is serious. Meanwhile our eyes are taken off the ball by a load of swampy thunder***** nailing their testicles to a tree in Green Park. FFS.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It’s not virtue signalling at all. If you take a flight for your own pleasure then I think you are a ****. It’s not a signal, it’s a fact.

So everyone who works hard and saves all year to go away on holiday abroad with their family is, according to you, a c*nt then ?

Riiiight-o.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
image.jpg

At lunchtime, James Brown, a Paralympian cyclist from Northern Ireland, filmed himself sitting on top of an Amsterdam-bound plane which had been due to take off just after 13:00 BST. He was booked on to the flight. In a live stream posted on Facebook, he said it was "scary" because he hated heights, felt cold and hoped they would get him down soon.

"Oh man I'm shaking," he went on. "This is all about the climate and ecological crisis. We're protesting at government inaction on climate and ecological breakdown. They declare climate emergency and do nothing about it." After more than an hour on the roof, Mr Brown was brought down and led away by police.

More than an HOUR ?

Shit the BED, why didn't they just reach up and drag this chronic virtue-signalling COCKSPANGLE off the bloody roof within 30 seconds ? Over an hour. UNbelievable. And of course, I'm sure he's never flown anywhere in his life.

Shame he didn't have a bumpy looking vest on. They'd have got him off quick enough then, wouldn't they.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
The problem with all this being, although climate change affects us all not everyone understands the seriousness of the situation. We need to get the message to the majority, pissing people off is not an effective means to get them to want to learn and understand.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
The problem with all this being, although climate change affects us all not everyone understands the seriousness of the situation. We need to get the message to the majority, pissing people off is not an effective means to get them to want to learn and understand.

Not the people on the plane, no, but it has generated a lot of discussion elsewhere, which can only be a good thing. This thread being an obvious example.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
To be honest having just watched the video, it struck me as a feeble effort. It might generate some chatter on line but the fact is you need eloquent representatives with a very clear message. It came across as a third rate chumba wumba style publicity stunt, teenagers really do it much better. Protest is a good thing it applies pressure and scrutiny but shabby amateurish efforts like this do not further the cause and in this day and age there is no justification for it.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
It’s not virtue signalling at all. If you take a flight for your own pleasure then I think you are a ****. It’s not a signal, it’s a fact.

But if your goal is to reduce emissions, do you see how vocalising your distain might not be the way to get that done?

We need more people need to vote for green policies. And they're not going to do that if they're being belittled. It gives them an excuse, "I'm not going to vote for those people who insulted me". And some people are looking for an excuse. Don't give them it.

The planet is not going to be saved by abusing individuals, one by one, who are not at your own current standard of green-ness.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
So everyone who works hard and saves all year to go away on holiday abroad with their family is, according to you, a c*nt then ?

Riiiight-o.

Why all the fluff about working hard and saving all ŷear for a holiday? None of that reduces the environmental impact of making that flight, does it.

And I used the term ****, not c*nt.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
This.

And I tend to take people more seriously if they have showered in the morning.

In Brazil the nutjob government is destroying the rain forests. This is serious. Meanwhile our eyes are taken off the ball by a load of swampy thunder***** nailing their testicles to a tree in Green Park. FFS.

Lazy lazy stuff.

I think you are better than that.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Protest in towns and cities, fair enough. Gain as much attention to the cause as possible - also fair enough.

Disrupting a relatively small number of people intending to fly is the behaviour of an utter selfish wanker. It's not for me, this bloke. No better than people who flew drones in order to stop people flying to or from Gatwick. They don't have the right to disrupt people's lives.
Haha. Hilarious stuff. Well done you!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
He's a total moron in my opinion, delaying people temporarily, who flew anyway, for absolutely no personal benefit at all. Just a sad man with time on his hands and nothing better to do. What a waste of life. I hope he gets a nice, significant, fine.

You can make the comparison with the Gatwick drones wankers, because it's deliberate disruption to flights. Selfless acts.

It's not just rich Westerners who are flying, even I did it earlier this year. I get away once a year if I'm lucky, it's good for anyone to get out of their country for a while. It's an option, and why shouldn't people fly without any sense of guilt for having done so.
I think the moron has identified himself very clearly!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here