Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Evan Ferguson

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Lots of overly harsh posts regarding a player that has just turned 20 who has been out with a pretty bad injury, probably played through some pain last season and is clearly struggling for confidence playing for a new manager with some different ideas. If ever a player needed one to go in off his arse. The turn and shot against Ipswich (I think) was a glimpse of his ability.

Maybe a couple of games in the 21s would help but he's not going to get that chance is he.

It's a bit like people want him to fail.
Yeah I need to pull you up on your last statement, LOTS of fans were talking about this at the game on Saturday, I heard no one hoping he would fail, or even getting on his back, it was all ‘supportive’ it’s just that we’re not blind.
Connelly’s antics were no secret, there are no whispers about Evan.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah I need to pull you up on your last statement, LOTS of fans were talking about this at the game on Saturday, I heard no one hoping he would fail, or even getting on his back, it was all ‘supportive’ it’s just that we’re not blind.
Connelly’s antics were no secret, there are no whispers about Evan.
Well the few posts above mine are pretty scathing.

Light_Bulb

Aug 20, 2024
I like Evan, but his strengths are more Glen Murray than Bobby Z... He likes receiving the ball to lay off, turn his man and shoot or sniff around in the penalty area.
What he isn't going to do is beat a man on a quick break, or jink past his man on a silky run. Sadly, I don't see how our style of football suits him.

Although maybe FH will mix it up and at some point maybe we'll need a target man... I honestly hope he comes good.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
My theory would be that he actually can’t run about that much at the moment. I suspect his has limited stamina still (after glandular fever) and that his fitness levels have not returned in full.
I think this is the most likely explanation.

He's had long spells out with a debilitating illness and has clearly been hacked onto the treatment table, by various dickhead defenders.

What he hasn't had for a long time is a run of games. There's every reason now to think that he'll get a run now. If there's no improvement by the international break, we need to re-evaluate. But for now, we need to go through the pain barrier and rehabilitate him back into the side with minutes on the pitch in the PL

The notion that he isn't firing ins because he's an Irish pisshead, is just a lazy trope

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I like Evan, but his strengths are more Glen Murray than Bobby Z... He likes receiving the ball to lay off, turn his man and shoot or sniff around in the penalty area.
What he isn't going to do is beat a man on a quick break, or jink past his man on a silky run. Sadly, I don't see how our style of football suits him.

Although maybe FH will mix it up and at some point maybe we'll need a target man... I honestly hope he comes good.
Too simplistic

The goal we scored at the weekend was from Danny, back to goal, holding it up, before the little spin in behind was it not?

That could just have easily been Evan. Him and Danny have a lot of similar qualities

borat

Jul 16, 2003

He's undoubtedly very talented in technical aspects but my fear even when he was performing was whether he had the pace or strength to make it consistently at this level. Couple that with our current style of play and its not the best mix.

Having watched Mark O'Mahony, think he shows more promise in the sense he has the technical ability but a bit more raw speed and power.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Too simplistic

The goal we scored at the weekend was from Danny, back to goal, holding it up, before the little spin in behind was it not?

That could just have easily been Evan. Him and Danny have a lot of similar qualities
Not for me, I'm struggling to think of a single goal Evan has scored liked that. He's VERY good at creating half a yard and getting a shot away very quickly, and normally very acurately. Running with the ball isn't a strength.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Evan is a very very good young player.

He will come good. All he is getting is 15 mins here and there generally.

Simply because Danny and Pedro have been in such good form.

Im happy for Evan to keep learning off Danny for the next 18 months.

When Evan is in top flight he is our best goalscorer

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Danny is much quicker with his feet IMO and obviously more experiencedz
I didn't claim them to be identical twins

But they do a similar job don't they? Look to get on the ball, back to goal, bring a team mate in, then spin. When the ball is wide, make a run across a defender and attack the space

I don't think we could hope to have a more like for like replacement.

I take the points about Evan clearly still below where he would like his match sharpness to be. I think he'll only get that back with games in the white heat of the PL. We may have to be patient

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He's undoubtedly very talented in technical aspects but my fear even when he was performing was whether he had the pace or strength to make it consistently at this level. Couple that with our current style of play and its not the best mix.

Having watched Mark O'Mahony, think he shows more promise in the sense he has the technical ability but a bit more raw speed and power.
O'Mahoney isn't exactly setting the world on fire at Portsmouth at the moment.

OK, to be fair, leading the line for a team in the Championship is a huge ask for a teenager on his first loan, so in no way am I dismissing the lad; a fine prospect for whom we rightly have high hopes. Just wonder if this is another case of the longer he's not playing (in O'Mahoney's case, as long as he's not playing for us) the better he gets?
Anyway, here's hoping Ferguson's mojo isn't far away from being re-discovered!

borat

Jul 16, 2003
O'Mahoney isn't exactly setting the world on fire at Portsmouth at the moment.

OK, to be fair, leading the line for a team in the Championship is a huge ask for a teenager on his first loan, so in no way am I dismissing the lad; a fine prospect for whom we rightly have high hopes. Just wonder if this is another case of the longer he's not playing (in O'Mahoney's case, as long as he's not playing for us) the better he gets?
Anyway, here's hoping Ferguson's mojo isn't far away from being re-discovered!

Hes started 4 games and got 2 goals so not doing too badly! Watch his goal against Crawley for us and how he used some pace/strength to first nick the ball and then get away from the striker. I dont see Evan scoring that sort of goal. He needs the ball in and around the box where he has the ability to create some space and get a shot off. I'm hopeful Evan recovers too but believe it will be capped by the pace/strength limitations.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Just say, the manager thinks Evan isn't the right option for the coming games what do you see as the best alternative?

Georginio furthest forward, Enciso in behind? Is Ayari an option there?

Presumably Evan won't be playing 90 mins, in all the games until Danny is back, so we'll need some sort of plan there for the last 30 mins or whatever.

Certainly any injury to either Evan or Georginio gives us a problem in the coming weeks. We don't have anyone else who could do a good job as a number 9 (and we don't know that Georginio can)

borat

Jul 16, 2003
You think Evan will be capped by strength limitations?

I can't think that i've ever seen a beefier 20 year old

Size does not equal strength. I've seen numerous occasions when Evan loses out in 1 on 1 physical battles. He doesn't tend to out muscle opponents. Contrast with Baleba who is the same age and puts bigger players on the deck.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
Just say, the manager thinks Evan isn't the right option for the coming games what do you see as the best alternative?

Georginio furthest forward, Enciso in behind? Is Ayari an option there?
Yes and no. I'm open to testing Ayari as a 10 but I didn't find him to be effective as part of the forward line on Saturday. I'd start Georginio as a 9 and Enciso as a 10 - whoever looks more knackered at 70' or so is replaced with Gruda who slots in at 10.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here