[Albion] Evan Ferguson

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Anyone having any doubts .....

Quite

Some great goals in that lot. Away from the spectacular ones, I love the header at Leicester, and the especially the first against Grimsby - the technique and awareness there is top, top class.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Quite

Some great goals in that lot. Away from the spectacular ones, I love the header at Leicester, and the especially the first against Grimsby - the technique and awareness there is top, top class.
I just think it's quite easy to forget how good a player is when they've been out for a period of time, but can't get a run in the side due to lack of match fitness and the good form of others.

I think the same about Enciso

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
The positive to concentrate on, is that Fab’s seen enough in training to give Evan time on the pitch.

If there was no commitment in training, I don’t see Fab as being the kind of coach who’d put Evan in the first team squad, and certainly not onto the pitch.

We know what Evan’s capable of, it’s down to us to have patience with him while he rediscovers the performance levels that got him here in the first place.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's interesting to watch his 2023 goal highlights and compare then with Welbeck.

Evan's trademark is his quick feet, his ability to find space and get shots off quickly and accurately - that is a rare quality, it's something that is natural, cannot be coached and like gold dust in the Prem.

He is more of a 'fox in the box'. old fashioned No. 9 whereas Welbeck - like Heskey - will move defenders around and is more physical.

Welbeck has never scored a Premier League hat-trick whereas Evan has already bagged one as a teenager, vs Newcastle.

It's a shame that Ireland don't have a player like Welbeck that can do the heavy lifting. The Irish are so desperate that both Connolly and Ferguson have been thrown in at the deep end and had too much expectation thrust upon them. I don't think that's helped either player.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Similar concerns with Evan and Enciso in that at their age they need games to develop but with their previous performances at the top level will stay with the first team meaning opportunities will be limited. You only have to look at what the Leicester move is doing for Facundo to see what regular games do to a young players development. Hope the cup games give us a chance to give Evan the minutes he needs to recapture the form and levels we all know he is so capable of.

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Similar concerns with Evan and Enciso in that at their age they need games to develop but with their previous performances at the top level will stay with the first team meaning opportunities will be limited. You only have to look at what the Leicester move is doing for Facundo to see what regular games do to a young players development. Hope the cup games give us a chance to give Evan the minutes he needs to recapture the form and levels we all know he is so capable of.
He must be starter for the game at the weekend and I presume Liverpool in the cup then, let us hope he finds his scoring boots and boost his confidence hopefully, we need to be patient with him, it is one of the reasons he came to us and not one of the big six initially and why he signed a contract until 2029, he knows we will look after him, that must help him knowing we believe in him.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
You know how some people think that Gyokeres is the one that got away despite showing not too much in his appearances for the Albion?

Well, imagine writing off either of Ferguson or Enciso* when you've seen what they can already produce as teenagers and that is only a part of their potential. Both are very good players with sky high potential.

There's so much to come from them that it baffles me that anyone wouldn't have patience with them. Just imagine if we binned them off because they weren't elite at 20 and then they went on to have a career at least the equal of Gyokeres? When we knew that was a distinct and very possible outcome.

*I'm not sure if anyone actually is writing them off...I've come to the thread late and only skim read back a few pages...but from that it seems like there's a bit of doubt abut them.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Well the few posts above mine are pretty scathing.
Not sure scathing is correct. Questioning effort has been raised by me and many others due to what he has played like before. Now some are posting of this illness without any facts. What is obvious though is he isn't getting anywhere the action both in attack and defence (closing down),

When he was scoring for fun he always appeared to be in right place right time, he is currently way off that. We all, I hope, want to see him back to the player that burst on the scene. As we all know many players have the technical skill but many it's the mentality that sets them apart. Perhaps he doesn't fully trust his body after injury or is in some discomfort with it. Hopefully he'll score a few off his arse/knee soon to give confidence. He will though, need to be in a position to do so.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Not sure scathing is correct. Questioning effort has been raised by me and many others due to what he has played like before. Now some are posting of this illness without any facts. What is obvious though is he isn't getting anywhere the action both in attack and defence (closing down),

When he was scoring for fun he always appeared to be in right place right time, he is currently way off that. We all, I hope, want to see him back to the player that burst on the scene. As we all know many players have the technical skill but many it's the mentality that sets them apart. Perhaps he doesn't fully trust his body after injury or is in some discomfort with it. Hopefully he'll score a few off his arse/knee soon to give confidence. He will though, need to be in a position to do so.
I think when you have struggled as he has recently the knack of being in the right place at the right time seems to desert you. Sometimes that's because you start looking for the ball in the wrong place, dropping to deep or making your runs too early etc.

More of a worry for me is that he is not keeping possession well enough, either bullied off the ball or making bad passes.

Hopefully, Wolves may give him the chance to score, as in fairness he hasn't yet had a clear cut chance all season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here