Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Evan Ferguson

Dec 29, 2011
Ferguson doesn't fit our system. He doesn't have the work rate our front men require to make our system work. He will go on to be a quality striker, I'm sure. But it might not be at our club.

I'd love to see him get a full season on loan at a place like Middlesbrough. I'm sure he would absolutely destroy the Championship.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ferguson doesn't fit our system. He doesn't have the work rate our front men require to make our system work. He will go on to be a quality striker, I'm sure. But it might not be at our club.

I'd love to see him get a full season on loan at a place like Middlesbrough. I'm sure he would absolutely destroy the Championship.

If he's going to destroy the Championship, can it not be with Middlesbrough please.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
He’ll come good. We can’t expect him to go from out injured, to a long spell getting back to fitness, to world-beating unplayable forward.

He’s just turned 20, he’ll find his way. Even the very best strikers have fallow periods, youngsters can take it hard if they’re used to scoring for fun and the goals aren’t coming.

Patience and encouragement is the way.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Rogers of Aston Villa only 22 and outstanding. Villa only paid £8m for him Has played 70 plus games including loans since he was 19

It’s still gobsmacking the gap between his initial performances in the team and what we are seeing now. Twilight Zone mystery levels

If the glandular fever rumor is true, it's not baffling at all, especially combined with the injury.
The fact that you have to say rumours actually adds to the bafflement rather than removes it I’m afraid to say

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It’s still gobsmacking the gap between his initial performances in the team and what we are seeing now. Twilight Zone mystery levels
Not really given his age and the long injury/illness. It's gobsmacking that people can't understand this.

Yes we know, unconfirmed, but who knows maybe there's something in it. That's why I included injury as he had a serious injury.
Hence why I said it’s very baffling. And people engaging in speculation doesn’t remove the mystery, it only increases it

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Hence why I said it’s very baffling. And people engaging in speculation doesn’t remove the mystery, it only increases it
I believe you said 'baffling' in reference to his performance. Given that he had a long injury and perhaps an illness as well, then no it's not.

I believe you said 'baffling' in reference to his performance. Given that he had a long injury and perhaps an illness as well, then no it's not.
Nope I meant the overall situation with him. Lots of layers of baffling really. First there are some who say it’s more or less the same player as the one we saw when he first broke into the team, it’s just the style/tactics of Brighton now don’t particularly suit his strengths. I’m not sure I buy that but, if we don’t, then we move on to the next stage of baffling, which is the nature of his problems. Was it one long injury as you say or a succession of different lesser ones, reports look conflicting. The illness related to his temperature was reported well over a year ago now. Can that still be hampering him now after so long? It just seems an ongoing puzzle since he first dropped out of the team after his hat trick and I’m sure we both hope to see that level of player again soon, even if it’s just in promising flashes

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
He was absolutely fine yesterday. Worked hard, and his touch was good. Weird bounce.
My view from row V in the clouds - we had a 33 yo striker and a 20 yo striker on the pitch; if I hadn’t known who they were then I’d have got them the wrong way around. Ferguson looked laboured throughout and I definitely wasn’t the only one who thought this going by comments around me.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
My view from row V in the clouds - we had a 33 yo striker and a 20 yo striker on the pitch; if I hadn’t known who they were then I’d have got them the wrong way around. Ferguson looked laboured throughout and I definitely wasn’t the only one who thought this going by comments around me.
Indeed, his touch wasn’t ‘good’ for the most part it wasn’t good enough… he was off the pace, slow to turn, weak in the air and lumbering … he was our worst player by some distance, which has to be a major concern especially with Welbz likely to be rested/injured for the huge game next weekend…

I said elsewhere he needs our support, time and a system tweak to help him look the part… but I stand by my assessment from the stands yesterday.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
One thing that I think has happened is that he no longer has the surprise element from when he burst onto the scene. His initial run of games when he came into the side it genuinely looked like defenders couldn’t physically deal with him - whether that was because of his natural strength or because they weren’t aware of how he uses his body, I’m not sure. The issue now is it looks like centre halves have all watched hours of footage of him and worked out how to physically engage with him to prevent his hold-up/link play being as successful. Either that or he’s got considerably weaker which seems unlikely.

I think there’s also an element of truth in that he’s not as effective out of possession as Welbeck, Rutter and Pedro. I don’t think he’s lazy by any stretch, I just don’t think his strength lies in an intense high press. He looks like he needs rest periods after heavy sprints more frequently than the others; I’m not sure his physical profile is made for it.

All of that said, I think he’s still the best finisher at the club (though Welbeck is really shifting his finishing narrative) and everyone who has said we just need to be patient is correct. He’ll still prove to be an excellent player but the career trajectory some of us predicted after his initial breakthrough may need to be reevaluated. At the end of 22-23, I thought we’d get 2 more seasons maximum out of him. Whereas now I think you can pretty much guarantee he’ll still be here for 25-26.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here