Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Enid Blyton, classed as xenophobic.

I must admit I am surprised by this thread, given that the OP is not typically associated with 'political correctness gone mad' rants :shrug:

What gives? ???

Because it's the easist way to get a bit of attention and this wokes gone mad stuff is the new way of doing it. Why you would want to advertise to anyone in real life that you don't give a toss about racism is a mystery to me but it's a bit easier behind a keyboard I guess

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Because it's the easist way to get a bit of attention and this wokes gone mad stuff is the new way of doing it. Why you would want to advertise to anyone in real life that you don't give a toss about racism is a mystery to me but it's a bit easier behind a keyboard I guess

Please refer to post #17 :thumbsup:

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
To all concerned, if I've gone over the top, I apologise.
Enjoy the game tonight :thumbsup:

Here in lies the problem... you quite clearly placed a topic for discussion on a discussion forum, I don’t believe you were “outraged “ you just put it out there, it’s a real shame. Debate has left the building [emoji20]
Enjoy the match [emoji1303][emoji481]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not sure about that but it's certainly not an advantage to be white, middle class and a English nowadays. I'm not suggesting it should be although there are an awful lot of bleeding hearts out there who claim that's the reality of the situation.

Now you know how minorities have felt for decades.

If folk are discomforted by seeing so many in adverts now they need to ask themselves why that really is. They're not seeing adverts they are seeing skin colour.

Long way to go, for all of us.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Now you know how minorities have felt for decades.

If folk are discomforted by seeing so many in adverts now they need to ask themselves why that really is. They're not seeing adverts they are seeing skin colour.

Long way to go, for all of us.

Christ on a bike...you don’t stop do you[emoji2359]

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Christ on a bike...you don’t stop do you[emoji2359]

We are clearly two (opposing) peas in the pod then.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

So, I suspect that the blind eye of 'all a long time ago' was not turned on our Enid, even in the 60s, as others have pointed out, because "Blyton's work became increasingly controversial among literary critics, teachers and parents from the 1950s onwards, because of the alleged unchallenging nature of her writing and the themes of her books, particularly the Noddy series. Some libraries and schools banned her works, which the BBC had refused to broadcast from the 1930s until the 1950s, because they were perceived to lack literary merit. Her books have been criticised as being elitist, sexist, racist, xenophobic and at odds with the more progressive environment emerging in post-Second World War Britain, but they have continued to be best-sellers since her death in 1968"

It also may be the case that as her treatment of her husband suggests, she was a nasty piece of work: "Blyton's marriage to Pollock became troubled for years, and according to Crowe's memoir, Blyton began a series of affairs, including a lesbian relationship with one of the children's nannies. In 1941 Blyton met Kenneth Fraser Darrell Waters, a London surgeon with whom she began a serious affair. Pollock discovered the liaison, and threatened to initiate divorce proceedings against Blyton. Fearing that exposure of her adultery would ruin her public image, it was ultimately agreed that Blyton would instead file for divorce against Pollock. According to Crowe's memoir, Blyton promised that if he admitted to infidelity she would allow him parental access to their daughters; but after the divorce he was forbidden to contact them, and Blyton ensured he was subsequently unable to find work in publishing. Pollock, having married Crowe on 26 October 1943, eventually resumed his heavy drinking and was forced to petition for bankruptcy in 1950"

Regarding Noddy :"Some librarians felt that Blyton's restricted use of language, a conscious product of her teaching background, was prejudicial to an appreciation of more literary qualities. In a scathing article published in Encounter in 1958, the journalist Colin Welch remarked that it was "hard to see how a diet of Miss Blyton could help with the 11-plus or even with the Cambridge English Tripos", but reserved his harshest criticism for Blyton's Noddy, describing him as an "unnaturally priggish ... sanctimonious ... witless, spiritless, snivelling, sneaking doll.""

Your selective mining of Wikipedia is painting a very one sided unflattering portrait of her. To push your agenda you seem to have intentionally omitted the part about the naked tennis....

"Her love of tennis included playing naked, with nude tennis "a common practice in those days among the more louche members of the middle classes".

When I read that part I had to swiftly reappraise my opinion of her and she immediately shot up in my estimation.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

[MENTION=28934]AmexRuislip[/MENTION] is very unlikely to accuse anyone of being 'woke gone mad' I assure you ???

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Just found the new series of her books
cd985adf93ce17f9fb1847bed62ff4ed.jpg

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I remember when at primary school about 1950 or 51 my class teacher was anti Enid Blyton and compared her books to comics (possibly Beano and Dandy). I'm not sure of her reasons but guess in hindsight it was because of the books dumbed down text?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Your selective mining of Wikipedia is painting a very one sided unflattering portrait of her. To push your agenda you seem to have intentionally omitted the part about the naked tennis....

"Her love of tennis included playing naked, with nude tennis "a common practice in those days among the more louche members of the middle classes".

When I read that part I had to swiftly reappraise my opinion of her and she immediately shot up in my estimation.

I chose to omit that in my narrative on the grounds of health and safety. I don't condone anyone risking putting their eye out, even if they are a nasty old racist.

Incidentally your nude tennis anecdote reminds me that I was watching the footy last night and one of the players got a mystery groin injury. The only explanation I could come up with was that he had whipped a testicle with his flailing penis. Perhaps an anticipation of such an event was the real motivation for the Cruel Blyton to get her kit off on court ???

[MENTION=28934]AmexRuislip[/MENTION] is very unlikely to accuse anyone of being 'woke gone mad' I assure you ???

Strange, his post is a classic of the genre. What's your explanation then

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I remember when at primary school about 1950 or 51 my class teacher was anti Enid Blyton and compared her books to comics (possibly Beano and Dandy). I'm not sure of her reasons but guess in hindsight it was because of the books dumbed down text?

Yes, very much matches the views of my very small sample of schoolteachers around the later 50s, well one mainly, really. Strangely, she also perceived it as acceptable - or even commendable - to read The Eagle (ft. Dan Dare), but not other comics.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Strange, his post is a classic of the genre. What's your explanation then

He read something on the internet and misunderstood it. He thought it was news when it was actually clickbait and the rewarming of something left over from the 1960s. It happens to all of us from time to time. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here