Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Enid Blyton, classed as xenophobic.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
..that's white.

Books like hers, although they represent a period in time perpetuated a certain mindset. One that is unacceptable now so no, they shouldn't be available children to read for pleasure.

i give you Bryce Courtenays' "The Power of One" all written in vernacular and quite possibly one of the best books written in the era , people have to make their own minds up on this stuff , being told this way or that just doesn't work.....:thumbsup: racist thinking is a result of bad education and/or low iq.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
it was what it was in those days no..? he hasn't got his whistle out or anything has he..? don't you think this is a a tad overwrought..?

huh?

What I think Sydney, is that a book called Mr Pink-Whistle Interferes, is bloody hilarious.

I guess it's smaller than a pink oboe

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
i give you Bryce Courtenays' "The Power of One" all written in vernacular and quite possibly one of the best books written in the era , people have to make their own minds up on this stuff , being told this way or that just doesn't work.....:thumbsup: racist thinking is a result of bad education and/or low iq.

I wouldn't recomment reading the whole thread but it is essentially a mistaken first post suggesting a revision of this writer whereas all that has happened is a small update to part of a web page about a writer. There has been no hindsight revisionism and judging the past by the standards of today because this author was heavily criticised even back in the 50s. There is nothing to see here. But it has been amusing to note the outrage of certain Victor Meddrews who are quick to find yet another example of Political Correctness Gone Mad :mad:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
huh?

What I think Sydney, is that a book called Mr Pink-Whistle Interferes, is bloody hilarious.

I guess it's smaller than a pink oboe

i whole heartedly agree , was EB some sort of peado..?? was she..? , captain pug wash , rainbow all had their moments ........i came out of the early 70's relatively unscathed although a nice man did try to stick a rolling pin up my bottom when i presented to his physiology practice with a torn quad and a hernia after a particularly heavy collision with the Adur Athletic goalkeeper ....at the age of 14 i was able to question the bona fide element of his actions and he stopped and attended to the matter at hand ........funny old world ....i'm over wasting my energy on arguing....x

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I recall listening to this very debate being had on R4 in the early 1990’s. It’s nothing new. Must be a slow news day in the gammon aisle.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Can't say I will lose sleep over this but I do wonder if the energy that is put in to castigating historic figures would not be better spent on modern day projects to make people's lives better.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I recall listening to this very debate being had on R4 in the early 1990’s. It’s nothing new. Must be a slow news day in the gammon aisle.

but is it the gammons who keep dredging it up old chap ..?..i mean there we were happily mooching along all getting along together and then out of the mist comes a ****ing pc bomb to get us all barking at each other again ..... we should be tired of this by now....:drink:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Can't say I will lose sleep over this but I do wonder if the energy that is put in to castigating historic figures would not be better spent on modern day projects to make people's lives better.

For sure...except, sadly, I don't think the energy is transferable to productive projects

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
but is it the gammons who keep dredging it up old chap ..?..i mean there we were happily mooching along all getting along together and then out of the mist comes a ****ing pc bomb to get us all barking at each other again ..... we should be tired of this by now....:drink:

It’s classic media style baiting. Slow news day? Drop some gammon bait to stir up more division. The only reason these type of stories crop up is because it riles the right so much.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
TV adverts don't reflect the make up of our society because they do not reflect the proportionate ethnic make up of our society. That's a fact and anyone who watches TV will testify to that if they observe a full range of adverts carefully enough. I checked an hour's worth of adverts last week and the ratio was around 70/30 in that time rather than the 20/80 that I would have expected given the make up of modern day Britain.

I will confess to not monitoring closely the number of minutes I can see a black face or white face in the TV ads, but my instinct says, bullshit. I mean, what is the criteria when you are doing your headcount anyway? Does a mixed race person count as 1 each, or are you counting anyone off white as black? Does Kevin Bacon count as representative of White British population? Is the Go Compare fella "one of us" as a Welshman, or is he counted as foreign as he is playing an Italian? I sincerely hope you are on a wind up here, if not, get some help.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
what did she do?

She totally cut all ties with the father of her children, despite him being the injured party in the divorce, blackballed him from the publishing world which was the only job he knew, stopped his children from seeing him ever again, sadly he died relatively young, penniless a broken man.

schmunk

VAR is a net positive
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I will confess to not monitoring closely the number of minutes I can see a black face or white face in the TV ads, but my instinct says, bullshit. I mean, what is the criteria when you are doing your headcount anyway? Does a mixed race person count as 1 each, or are you counting anyone off white as black? Does Kevin Bacon count as representative of White British population? Is the Go Compare fella "one of us" as a Welshman, or is he counted as foreign as he is playing an Italian? I sincerely hope you are on a wind up here, if not, get some help.

g297Eep.gif

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
She totally cut all ties with the father of her children, despite him being the injured party in the divorce, blackballed him from the publishing world which was the only job he knew, stopped his children from seeing him ever again, sadly he died relatively young, penniless a broken man.
Link?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here