Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Enid Blyton, classed as xenophobic.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Can't say I will lose sleep over this but I do wonder if the energy that is put in to castigating historic figures would not be better spent on modern day projects to make people's lives better.

A sober evaluation of the facts about EB, something that has been going on for over 60 years is not 'castigating a historic figure' is it?

The only energy being put in to anything is from the war on woke shit stirrers. As is almost always the case.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
A sober evaluation of the facts about EB, something that has been going on for over 60 years is not 'castigating a historic figure' is it?

Exactly, how are we supposed to move forward without this kind of evaluation. No one is screaming to get the books of the shelves. Like I said earlier in this post I just wish this kind of evaluation was done in the mainstream regarding the wars we have fought in the last 120 years, drilling down into the causes of WW1 and its continuation in 1939 is very sobering.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
i whole heartedly agree , was EB some sort of peado..?? was she..? , captain pug wash , rainbow all had their moments ........i came out of the early 70's relatively unscathed although a nice man did try to stick a rolling pin up my bottom when i presented to his physiology practice with a torn quad and a hernia after a particularly heavy collision with the Adur Athletic goalkeeper ....at the age of 14 i was able to question the bona fide element of his actions and he stopped and attended to the matter at hand ........funny old world ....i'm over wasting my energy on arguing....x

Going to call out your reference to Captain Pugwash. I suspect you're refering to the urban legand around some of the character's names having sexual conitations. It's wrong and the author successfully sued two newspapers for suggesting it was the case.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Exactly, how are we supposed to move forward without this kind of evaluation. No one is screaming to get the books of the shelves. Like I said earlier in this post I just wish this kind of evaluation was done in the mainstream regarding the wars we have fought in the last 120 years, drilling down into the causes of WW1 and its continuation in 1939 is very sobering.

off

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
seaman staines..??..ok

Unfortunately there is no character with that name in the series.

The nearest is, masters mate or Tom the cabin boy.

The British Captain Pugwash animated television series, which originally aired on the BBC between 1958 and 1967, is widely believed to have featured characters with risqué maritime names such as Master Bates, Seaman Staines, and Roger the Cabin Boy. In fact, the crew of the famous Black Pig ship included sailors with no such names.

Present on board were Master Mate, Tom the Cabin Boy, and Pirates Barnabas and Willy. (No character with the designation of ‘Seaman’ appeared in the show.) Series creator John Ryan successfully won retractions and settlements from Sunday Correspondent and the Guardian after both newspapers claimed that the show’s characters did indeed have smutty names, and that the BBC had taken it off the air as a result.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I love the way so many people use the phrase " Political Correctness gone mad "

My question to those would be

" What is wrong with Correctness " ?

Shouldn't we all be trying to do the right thing and and correcting the wrongs of the past ?

As for the text of Enid Blyton. I grew up with her books in my childhood in the 1960s and the underlying Racial Undertones escaped me. As an adult I see them and there should be an effort made to point out their lack of " Political Correctness "

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Your selective mining of Wikipedia is painting a very one sided unflattering portrait of her. To push your agenda you seem to have intentionally omitted the part about the naked tennis....

"Her love of tennis included playing naked, with nude tennis "a common practice in those days among the more louche members of the middle classes".

When I read that part I had to swiftly reappraise my opinion of her and she immediately shot up in my estimation.

Did your thoughts suddenly turn to Maria Sharapova at this year's Wimbledon or something ? :)

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Your selective mining of Wikipedia is painting a very one sided unflattering portrait of her. To push your agenda you seem to have intentionally omitted the part about the naked tennis....

"Her love of tennis included playing naked, with nude tennis "a common practice in those days among the more louche members of the middle classes".

When I read that part I had to swiftly reappraise my opinion of her and she immediately shot up in my estimation.

:lolol:

"shot up"

:lolol:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
You're making yourself look a bit silly now.

I got a book from a bargain shop years ago about old TV programmes for Kids. They also made themselves look silly over the same subject and there was literally a sticker with amended text over the Pugwash section.. Of course I peeled it off and it was the Roger the Cabin Boy/Master Bates stuff.

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
I got a book from a bargain shop years ago about old TV programmes for Kids. They also made themselves look silly over the same subject and there was literally a sticker with amended text over the Pugwash section.. Of course I peeled it off and it was the Roger the Cabin Boy/Master Bates stuff.

Which is odd because the characters names were Tom the Cabin Boy and Master Mates. The characters you mentioned never existed.
But hey, lets not let the truth get in the way of good old Political Correctness gone mad story.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Hmmmm ..... sorry, BULLSHIT. Feel free to post a photo.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Hmmmm ..... sorry, BULLSHIT. Feel free to post a photo.

Why on God's Green earth would I make up a story about a book having to put a sticker over lazy research because they believed an urban myth? And I am damned if I am rifling through my shed to satisfy you. You do realise I am saying it is an urban myth, right? Or like the numb nuts who posted above you, you didn't bother reading my post properly?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Which is odd because the characters names were Tom the Cabin Boy and Master Mates. The characters you mentioned never existed.
But hey, lets not let the truth get in the way of good old Political Correctness gone mad story.

Try learning to read before you make yourself look a tit. I was saying that the book got it wrong and fixed it with a sticker.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I got a book from a bargain shop years ago about old TV programmes for Kids. They also made themselves look silly over the same subject and there was literally a sticker with amended text over the Pugwash section.. Of course I peeled it off and it was the Roger the Cabin Boy/Master Bates stuff. The urban myth was under the sticker as they had made the same mistake

EDITED for the hard of thinking.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

To be fair, the way you’ve worded that, and the subsequent edit does make it sound like the sticker was covering the mythical rude names. I know what you mean now but it was a bit confusing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here