Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think the JOCKS will vote YES ?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
They did not with Blair,but Brown was different.

So people didn't vote labour because brown was Scottish? I never met one. Don't buy it sorry. I would say far more English people didn't even register he was Scottish than voted against him because he was.

Did anyone not vote Tory because Norman lamont was a jock?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I don't follow this.

2010 Election map-with Scottish Labour MP's

640px-2010UKElectionMap.svg.png

Phil B

Jul 27, 2004
Ifield, Crawley
Just let them vote.

If they vote no to independence then that's it - done and dusted.

If they vote yes - then let them sort it out. Don't come to us for help.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Just let them vote.

If they vote no to independence then that's it - done and dusted.

If they vote yes - then let them sort it out. Don't come to us for help.

Neither of them will happen in reality though.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Neither of them will happen in reality though.

Are you speculating that if they vote No,we shall give concessions,perhaps they will vote again in years to come anyway.

Or if they vote yes,they will come to us for help and we will give it,why would that be required if the Yes people are so very very sure?

Therefore perhaps what you are really saying is in the case of Yes,they will be ok,currency again,what will they be using,out of interest?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Are you speculating that if they vote No,we shall give concessions,perhaps they will vote again in years to come anyway.

Or if they vote yes,they will come to us for help and we will give it,why would that be required if the Yes people are so very very sure?

Therefore perhaps what you are really saying is in the case of Yes,they will be ok,currency again,what will they be using,out of interest?

Exactly on both. That's nailed on guaranteed on either outcome.

They will get to use sterling or a pegged equivalent as has happened with previous dominions colonies and territories gaining effective independence, there are many precedents here. It's a shit bluff that has hindered the no campaign massively.

I think what we are heading for here is a sort of crap British version of Scandinavia, culturally and economically linked closely but separate nation states. It's going to take a long time, with wals a sort of Faroes and Northern Ireland pushed into a united ROI in a few decades when demographics swings that way. Trouble along the way though, and the tax burden borne by the English.

Last edited:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I can't imagine many English people avoided voting labour in case we got a Scottish prime minister, in reality. And that is the key difference between us. I may not be the biggest fan of diversity as policy but when you see how this is ethnically driven for some scots, that's scary in this day and age. Yet totally without criticism.

Signed admittedly before they got in power....but carried through. Remember Gorbals Mick, Jon Reid, Darling etc all had prominent positions.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Going by the number of replys to my post there seems to be a lot of posters taking what I said seriously. For the benefit of those people I can tell you that being of Scots descent I am fully aware of Scotland's history as a Kingdom.
Let me explain it was a JOKE about Salmond's obvious desire to gain himself an important title

Cant be King ..not a KINGdom
Cant be Prince..not a PRINCEipality

Is a CoUNTry so he must be a ......

*Iknow the spelling says he would be a Count, the pronunciation says something else altogether

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
do you mean sterlingisation, using the £ informally? then all that applies, no horror story but the opinion of about every economist. you mean monetary union, using £ formally? not going to happen, all political parties have said so and there is no incentive for them to row back on that - and if they did, Scotland wouldnt sign up to the sort of restrictions necessary to make it work politically or economically. they'd have to immediately concede most the independence just gained.

as for being scared, we will be better off without. i just think they are daft and Salmon is leading them to an idealist oblivion.

Bet you a pound there is a monetary union if there is a Yes vote. :)

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

That's true. No way it won't happen. If we are allowed ourselves a brief moment of national self mythologising (which there is an orgy of north of the border right now) the English are nothing if not pragmatic.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

If you were/are a Scot you would have about 45 pence to our pound after we have deducted our interest,i could lend you a pound that gives you 65 pence if you like.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
A last-minute all-party plan to devolve further powers to Scotland over tax, spending, welfare and a host of other areas will be unveiled in the next few days, George Osborne has said.

The chancellor detailed the plans – the product of backroom talks – saying they would be unveiled in the next few days with a clear timetable for implementation in the event of a no vote. The offer is similar to the last-minute package offered to Quebec by the Canadian government in 1995, that staved off a vote for separation.

Many Scots will see this as a last minute panic by Westminster. The YES campaign isn't purely about nationalism , the electorate are coming round to the idea that Independence actually means democracy for Scotland. They see this as an opportunity of not being dictated to by a Parliament more than 300 miles away.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Many Scots will see this as a last minute panic by Westminster. The YES campaign isn't purely about nationalism , the electorate are coming round to the idea that Independence actually means democracy for Scotland. They see this as an opportunity of not being dictated to by a Parliament more than 300 miles away.

What about a government over 60? Or 250?

The remoteness is heightened by a sense of ethnic otherness, the distance is irrelevant. It shows what a nutty little island this is when we think being governed by a parliament 300 miles away is unfeasible or un representative.

Imagine being governed by a parliament 45 minutes flying distance away.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i'll hapily take that bet.

That's true. No way it won't happen. If we are allowed ourselves a brief moment of national self mythologising (which there is an orgy of north of the border right now) the English are nothing if not pragmatic.

the pragmatic thing would be to not have a monetry union. with no controls over how Scottish raise or spend funds, we'd be liable to bail them out if they get it all wrong. remember, we are talking exactly the same problem as the Eurozone currently has. the way to make it viable would be to have some sort of federal system of governance, ceding powers back to Westminster, which the newly independent Scotland is not going to accept. its as likly as Scottish parliament agreeing to keep Trident afterall.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
What about a government over 60? Or 250?

The remoteness is heightened by a sense of ethnic otherness, the distance is irrelevant. It shows what a nutty little island this is when we think being governed by a parliament 300 miles away is unfeasible or un representative.

Imagine being governed by a parliament 45 minutes flying distance away.

They do see it as being unrepresentative with only 1 Scottish Tory MP in Westminster (there was none between 1997 and 2001) and a YES vote as a solution to stop being dictated to by any future Tory Government in Westminster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here