Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Just watching Sky's Ref Watch and Stephen Warnock has gone off on one about the Veltman incident with Maddison.

At the game I tended to agree with the Sky presenter that Veltman was having a laugh with a comical fall to the ground. However, when you see the replay I'm not so convinced and Joel does seem to try and suggest that spurs player has hit him with his arm.

We love Veltman but needs to be careful that the dark arts shitehousery doesn't creep over into blatant cheating.
I don't buy the idea Veltman was doing anything other than mocking Madison. He knows there was nothing in it, he knows Madison knows he didn't do anything (and the ref) and Veltman knows that Madison knows that he knows.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
The thing I love about him is he scores proper six yard box tap ins. This season the goals against Man United and yesterday and last season v Chelsea being prime examples. It’s great he scores all sorts of other goals too but we have really missed that presence in the six yard box since Murray left.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
When I wrote that post, Welbeck had played 16 games for us, scored 2 goals and gone three months without finding the net. What was your take at the time?
I have no idea what my take was.

So you are Swansman then?

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I seemed to think he looked promising in December 2020 Swanny.

Post in thread 'The "we drew at Fulham" poll...'
https://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/threads/the-we-drew-at-fulham-poll.384418/post-9637064

Perhaps you should have had more faith.
In hindsight, yes of course. Would you have been equally optimistic three goalless months later though?

At the time of writing, he had scored 2 goals in 18 appearances for Watford in the previous season (while having severe injury issues) and now scored 2 goals in 16 games for us (and also being out injured for a long time). I certainly thought the chances of him renewing looked very slim at that point. A few months later when he had scored four goals in his final nine, I believe I was pro-extension.

Overall he wasn't particularly good at this point though. Not very involved, trying to find his limits and identities as a player. Sometimes maybe avoiding that extra run or duel that could break him for no good reason.

His hamstring surgery in the middle of the 21/22 season seems like the key to how he's been able to play more and even improve as a player. In the very important win against Arsenal that spring, he was a complete beast, winning tackles and blocking shots and shouting and directing his mates. Since then he has never really looked back, its just a constant stream of good or very good performances.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
In hindsight, yes of course. Would you have been equally optimistic three goalless months later though?

At the time of writing, he had scored 2 goals in 18 appearances for Watford in the previous season (while having severe injury issues) and now scored 2 goals in 16 games for us (and also being out injured for a long time). I certainly thought the chances of him renewing looked very slim at that point. A few months later when he had scored four goals in his final nine, I believe I was pro-extension.

Overall he wasn't particularly good at this point though. Not very involved, trying to find his limits and identities as a player. Sometimes maybe avoiding that extra run or duel that could break him for no good reason.

His hamstring surgery in the middle of the 21/22 season seems like the key to how he's been able to play more and even improve as a player. In the very important win against Arsenal that spring, he was a complete beast, winning tackles and blocking shots and shouting and directing his mates. Since then he has never really looked back, its just a constant stream of good or very good performances.
You really need to kick back a bit. Remember, Welbeck’s game has never been just about scoring goals. He hadn’t been prolific anywhere.

I’m not sure why you’ve even bitten on this one. I didn’t even know you were Swansman. Why did you changed your name.

1728371380238.jpeg

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
You really need to kick back a bit. Remember, Welbeck’s game has never been just about scoring goals. He hadn’t been prolific anywhere.

I’m not sure why you’ve even bitten on this one. I didn’t even know you were Swansman. Why did you changed your name.

View attachment 189971
Bitten? No its just a fascinating subject imho. We sign a 30-year-old striker who had just been relegated with Watford after having a shit, injury plauged season, on a free transfer one-year-deal because we couldn't get our other striker targets.

Initially he's part of the toothless trio along with Maupay and Connolly. At this point his style of play still revolves around his pace. He's very rarely meeting the ball or getting involved in duels, he just plays off the shoulder of the defenders waiting to run deep.

Fast forward a couple of years and this all-but-done free transfer pace merchant signing from Watford is playing better than ever in some sort of false nine role, while the transfer target (Darwin Nunez) we missed out on is doing f*** all at Liverpool after signing with them for £100m.

Just fascinating. As far as I remember it was only really @Farehamseagull who had full faith in Welbeck throughout the whole (?) time. But then again @Farehamseagull would give Welbz a 7/10 rating if he went on the pitch in the 89th minute to shit in a bucket and then get subbed off again, so it barely counts.

Welbeck these days remind me a lot about Henrik Larsson. If he didn't have the reputation of being the "former super talent" or "always injured"-stuff, he'd be a very strong candidate to get called up by England again.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

The club reported after that surgery that the surgeon had discovered and fixed a long standing problem that they thought may have been responsible for a lot of his injury problems in the past. So yes that probably does explain why he's managed to play regularly since then.

Last edited:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Bitten? No its just a fascinating subject imho. We sign a 30-year-old striker who had just been relegated with Watford after having a shit, injury plauged season, on a free transfer one-year-deal because we couldn't get our other striker targets.

Initially he's part of the toothless trio along with Maupay and Connolly. At this point his style of play still revolves around his pace. He's very rarely meeting the ball or getting involved in duels, he just plays off the shoulder of the defenders waiting to run deep.

Fast forward a couple of years and this all-but-done free transfer pace merchant signing from Watford is playing better than ever in some sort of false nine role, while the transfer target (Darwin Nunez) we missed out on is doing f*** all at Liverpool after signing with them for £100m.

Just fascinating. As far as I remember it was only really @Farehamseagull who had full faith in Welbeck throughout the whole (?) time. But then again @Farehamseagull would give Welbz a 7/10 rating if he went on the pitch in the 89th minute to shit in a bucket and then get subbed off again, so it barely counts.

Welbeck these days remind me a lot about Henrik Larsson. If he didn't have the reputation of being the "former super talent" or "always injured"-stuff, he'd be a very strong candidate to get called up by England again.
Tis true, I love the man.

But I maintain he's always been under rated throughout his career, long before he even joined us.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Now has more Premier League goals (71) than Eric Cantona, don’t bother comparing the appearances though, just not worth it

Could “Dat Guy” make the 100 club? Just out of reach I reckon

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
3 more to beat Pascal
9 more and scored for than ARS and MANU combined
10 more to beat Michael Robinson (God bless him)

All seem possible

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
3 more to beat Pascal
9 more and scored for than ARS and MANU combined
10 more to beat Michael Robinson (God bless him)

All seem possible
I suspect this will be the season he overtakes Pascal (without wishing to jinx it). Given his normal strike rate, I think he'll need the 25-26 season as our main or back up striker to beat your second two targets given that he's never scored more than 9 in a season. That said, he's also only played over 30 games twice in 18 seasons, and almost never consistently as the main striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here