Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Farm Travellers.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
It's not going to be "tasty" though is it? Whatever the arguments, this is only going to end up being a total nightmare, with the travellers' kids and elderly relatives pushed to the front for the cameras, and a massive conflict between the police, bailiffs, travellers and protestors. Nobody will win.

I have no idea what the solution is, and while it's clear the travellers have completely ignored planning guidelines that everyone else has to adhere to, the problem won't go away because they're evicted. Instead, Essex County Council (and probably Kent, and Suffolk and London) will end up with dozens more encampments and evictions to sort out, as the travellers move on, and on, and on. For all we know, a bunch of them might decide to come down here and join the others in Wild Park/ Ditchling Road/Madeira Drive/Stanmer Park/ Preston Park/ all the other sites they regularly occupy in Brighton & Hove.

I think that's odds on them turning up in Brighton. The greens will welcome them with open arms. Just as long it's not in their back garden though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
ive never understood why TRAVELLERS want to build houses to live in or stay in one place. make up your minds.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
there a pain in the ass, my ex old man works for Cemex and his plant is next door to a site, they burnt his plant down and every time he goes out to batch cement they shoot at him with air rifles he has to call the police on a daily basis, there a drain on resources, i see people from abroad are coming to support them, well why not take them back with ya.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
I've got colleagues heading up there to assist Essex Police, and they're not looking forward to being stuck in the middle of all that. Contrary to what most of you think, most coppers don't actually want to be having to drag aggressively resistant individuals away, particularly not women and kids, because it can't end in anything but tears.

If someone is that determined not to be moved, then any use of force on them, no matter how well intentioned, is likely to end up with someone getting hurt. And you look like a total bastard in the process (more so for a male police officer dealing with a female individual). You can have whatever comes to hand thrown at you, but lay hands on someone else and every lawyer in the country is watching. Unless the travellers decide to hold their heads up high and walk away- which seems unlikely- it will probably be carnage, and a media frenzy...and take days if not weeks.

I really hope they sort something out, for the sake of all parties.

What is there to sort out they have broken laws. And you havea job to do

timdogman

Oct 12, 2006
Portslade
ive never understood why TRAVELLERS want to build houses to live in or stay in one place. make up your minds.

They aren't allowed to travel anymore, the powers at be made that illegal around the 1960s (try camping anywhere that isn't a campsite, you'll soon find someone on your back), hence you get these eye-sore sites popping up everywhere. Before that law was passed you maybe had one or two families stopping at the side of the road, doing no harm, and usually being employed in the vicinity, before moving on to another area where they had employment. These guys have been shit on and persecuted for centuries - doesn't matter if they steal or not, they're gonna be blamed for it, so they may as well steal and make the people that chastise, denigrate and persecute have a taste of their own medicine.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
They aren't allowed to travel anymore, the powers at be made that illegal around the 1960s (try camping anywhere that isn't a campsite, you'll soon find someone on your back), hence you get these eye-sore sites popping up everywhere. Before that law was passed you maybe had one or two families stopping at the side of the road, doing no harm, and usually being employed in the vicinity, before moving on to another area where they had employment. These guys have been shit on and persecuted for centuries - doesn't matter if they steal or not, they're gonna be blamed for it, so they may as well steal and make the people that chastise, denigrate and persecute have a taste of their own medicine.

Or they could rent a house and get a job and pay tax like everyone else.

timdogman

Oct 12, 2006
Portslade
On government run traveller sites they do pay council tax - if this site was granted planning permission they would have to pay tax. Most of them do have jobs and pay tax on their wages also. Why should they get a house? Why can't they live in caravans and travel? The level of mis-information where it comes to gypsies is just absurd.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
bollox in that case why are they on carden park at the moment

macky

Dec 28, 2004
On government run traveller sites they do pay council tax - if this site was granted planning permission they would have to pay tax. Most of them do have jobs and pay tax on their wages also. Why should they get a house? Why can't they live in caravans and travel? The level of mis-information where it comes to gypsies is just absurd.

yeah and get to build house on green land which can be sold on for huge profit

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

They can live in their caravans and travel. There are hundreds of campsites throughout the country. I know as I have a caravan and use them regularly.

One of the biggest expenses is insuring it and fitting security devices to stop these bastards nicking it.

timdogman

Oct 12, 2006
Portslade
They're not, they're at Dale Farm waiting for the bulldozers to come along. I bet £50 that the people at Carden Park are some hippies that bought a van within the last few years and just decided to become 'travellers'. There should be a distinction between gypsy families that have been travelling around for centuries and some crusty's that have suddenly decided to buy a van. Sadly there isn't and they're all lumped into the same shit.

timdogman

Oct 12, 2006
Portslade
They can live in their caravans and travel. There are hundreds of campsites throughout the country. I know as I have a caravan and use them regularly.

One of the biggest expenses is insuring it and fitting security devices to stop these bastards nicking it.

It's true there are hundreds of campsites throughout the country. I believe the maximum stay is something like 28 days - and most campsites have 'no gypsies or traveller families' signs at the gate.

Feb 14, 2010
Yeah - you did this post a few days a go and it died on its arse - especially when you pulled the "I've got a very expensive gaff in London" line.

Working Class Pride - my arse.

My friend, I am not so sure why you are so worked up but if it helps you, I'm from a family of labourers. Like many people from traditionally working class background, I was given opportunities that other members of the family in their day did not have, but that does not mean that there is no pride in being working class. There is, it stands for a decency and honesty that you don't get when you go "up the tree". It also used to stand for bloody hard work, working more than one job, sacrifice, good behaviour and standards - hence the well known phrase "working class pride". As for the "Pikey " thing then its very simple young Buzzer, with our Special Brew fans (especially away at London games) and a gypsy camp 20 minutes walk from the new ground in Wild Park then its er, thin ice shall we say to be accusing anyone else of being a "pikey" club. (Thin ice is another way of saying plain daft).

macky

Dec 28, 2004
It's true there are hundreds of campsites throughout the country. I believe the maximum stay is something like 28 days - and most campsites have 'no gypsies or traveller families' signs at the gate.

so if you have land with no buildings on it its worth as much as built land I'm not very clever but i know it bollox

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Young Buzzer? A cheesy Hovis advert-like explanation of what working class means together with a biography that wouldn't have been out of place in that Monty Python sketch about your roots? Can you get any more patronising? My upbringing and background are probably every bit as working-class as yours are.

Save it mate, I'm not listening. My "working-class" jibe was in response to your snidey comment to someone about the value of your London gaff. All this new-money bollocks is so vulgar and chippy.

timdogman

Oct 12, 2006
Portslade
so if you have land with no buildings on it its worth as much as built land I'm not very clever but i know it bollox

If you build in a protected area (which is what I assume is meant by green belt - there are many different categories, so in general) it can only be sold to someone with links to the area which keeps the value of the property to a minimum (I can point out plenty of properties on RightMove that are half a million on the open market but are marketed around 150k cos only locals can buy them - and then they have to prove they are local by having lived in the area for a continuous ten years within the last twenty years). Look up the policy if you need proof that it isn't bollocks. Of course, everyone has the same right to build on land (me you and mr t) that's granted planning permission and if it has no protections can be sold at a profit (if indeed the valuation is more than the building costs). You realise that plenty of people that aren't gypsies build without planning permission all the time - there was a notable story about the guy who built a massive extension to his house and hid it with a wall of hay. After seven years it's automatically granted planning, as long as no one has noticed.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here