Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Campaign Coverage Update

Aug 12, 2003
Perth WA
The Argus may use the K&Q photos tomorrow. Otherwise as Lush says good coverage of both the sit in (with photos on pages 1 & 5) and the Flowers campaign on page 5.

Argus - :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Desert Orchid said:
Try the PA Sport picture desk, 0870 1203200

PA?

What would be good would be inf we can get Prem fans across the country holding up Falmer signs at games.

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Have just done the following press releases to all national and local media. Lynam and Cook to follow. Also, look out for BBC South and Meridian tonight (Meridian have borrowed the Seagulls World tape of the protest as they didn't get footage. Also Sky Sports News interviewing Dick live tomorrow morning and covering flower protest.

-----

Brighton Legend Gets Behind Falmer Campaign

Brighton & Hove Albion legend Peter Ward has thrown his weight behind the "We Want Falmer" campaign and has urged Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott to give the Falmer stadium the green light.

Speaking from his Florida home, Ward said, "I can't believe this is still dragging on. Brighton fans deserve the new stadium - they have campaigned tirelessly for this for so many years.

"Over here in the States we have magnificent sporting facilities - and most of them are not only given the go ahead by the state - they are funded by the state. They did just that here in Tampa.

The former England international added, "It seems amazing that the country is bidding to host the Olympics, yet a city the size of Brighton & Hove hasn't got any decent sporting facilities at all. I urge Mr Prescott to save Brighton's future and say yes to this stadium.

"I have written to him in support as well signing the online petition. I hope all football fans will do the same."

ENDS - 09/02/04

----- This will also go on Hull City website andto Hull local press -----

Taylor Backs Brighton Protest

Hull City boss Peter Taylor has called on Tigers fans to help out his former club Brighton & Hove Albion as they fight for their very survival.

Second Division Brighton are awaiting the outcome of a Public Inquiry on their proposed new stadium at Falmer on the outskirts of Brighton. The final decision will be made by Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott - and Brighton fans are asking all football supporters to write or email Prescott in support of their bid.

Taylor said, "I have fond memories of my time at Brighton - and it's a real shame they find themselves fearing for their very survival once again. I have written a letter to John Prescott to pledge my support for Brighton's new stadium and tell him it is in the national interest. I am now urging all Hull fans to please do the same."

Last week, Brighton's bid suffered a setback when an inspector's report on the Brighton & Hove Local Plan deemed the site unsuitable - despite Brighton & Hove City Council having already giving the project the go ahead when the local planning committee voted 11:1 in favour of the project.

The Seagulls have been homeless for seven years - living a nomadic existence at Gillingham's Priestfield and the unsuitable temporary home of Withdean athletics stadium - after former Chairman Bill Archer sold the Goldstone Ground to property developers.

While at Withdean, Taylor defied the odds to lead Brighton to the Second Division Championship in 2002, but left in the summer of that year citing the stadium issue as the reason - believing he had taken the club as far as he could have.

Taylor was proved right, as in Division One the Seagulls found themselves severely hamstrung by the costs of the stadium project and those sustained by renting a temporary home - not too mention insufficient gate receipts because of Withdean's tiny capacity. As a result Brighton slipped back into the Second Division.

Since 1997, the club has spent £5m in its bid to return permanently to Brighton and the inspector's report flies in the face of their findings and those of the local council. It also ignores the overwhelming public support from for the new stadium. Last year more that 61,000 people signed a petition in favour of the stadium; while in 1998 44,985 Brighton & Hove residents voted in favour of the stadium at a local council referendum.

How Football Fans Can Help

Please write or email John Prescott - and tell him who you support, as it's important to prove this isn't just an issue in Brighton & Hove but a national issue. The Local Plan inspector claimed Brighton were not in the national interest!

Time is of the essence, because Prescott could make his decision at any moment - so if you're going to write, please make it sooner rather than later. Your letter should include the following points:

- Brighton & Hove is a city of national importance and its football club is important as part of the national league competitions in our national sport.

- The evidence shows that the site identified by the city council at Falmer is the only viable one for a community stadium in a city hemmed in by the South Downs and the sea.

- A community stadium is essential for the well-being of any town or city. It brings communities together, provides opportunities in sport, education and employment, and enables the local football club to fulfil its potential within the community and for the benefit of it.

Send it to:
Mr John Prescott
Office of the Deputy Prime Minister
26 Whitehall
London SW1A 2WH

Email to: planning.general@odpm.gsi.gov.uk

Also, please sign the online petition at http://www.PetitionOnline.com/Falmer/

Thank you.

ENDS - 8/2/2004

Last edited:

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
I am awaiting the BBC to contact me, regarding coverage to tomorrows flower presentation, on the 11.19 Brighton to Victoria Express (they want to join us on the train).

So, join us if you can!!

falmer3.gif
falmer3.gif

Last edited:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Replies

Got personal reply from ODPM's office today. Standard sort of thing which said nothing we don't already know. But at least they are receiving and acknowledging our letters.
So come on give them even more to reply to!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I have emailed about 5 local radio shows in Hull and the Hull Daily Mail. Also three Hull City fanzines and the Hull City Supporters Club. Also getting the Uni paper to doa bit on it, well I am editor so am MAKING the uni paper do a bit on it.

Dick Knight was interviewed on Radio 5 before the game last night.......

Usual stuff...:wave:

LC

Dick Knight was interviewed on Radio 5 before the game last night.......

Usual stuff...:wave:

LC

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
SuperFurrySeagull said:
The flowers story made it to the 4.30pm news on Radio 1 apparently.

Did anyone hear it?

yep, was at the end of the sports news. they appealed to all football fans to write to JP, and mentioned that we have asked all clubs to send a bouquet of flowers to him.

i was driving at the time and nearly came off the road when i heard it. everyone who has contributed should be very, very proud of themselves.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Mr Prescott

Received a personal reply from ODPM yesterday (signed by a junior civil servant). The letter didn't say anything we don't already know. But at least it shows our letters are getting through and being acknowledged ... so the more the merrier until the cost of employing civil servants to answer our letters persuades Mr P to act immediately and say YES
:flameboun

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
seems Radio 1, national papers and the local press have been busy the past 24hours. GREAT STUFF...keep it going, hopefully the Hull preperations go well and we get more exposure for that.

Job Well Done and may we continue in the same vein until "D-DAY" :clap: :clap:

STU

Feb 6, 2004
Just spoke to a mate who has a mate that works in admin at the office of DPM, he's gonna ask if there are any other (effective) acess points to Prescott, or other particularly effective ways of supporting falmer through the ODPM.

He may also be able to get hold of Prescott's itinery for the next two weeks - could be handy.

Lush

Mods' Pet
kiginally posted by STU [/i]
Just spoke to a mate who has a mate that works in admin at the office of DPM, he's gonna ask if there are any other (effective) acess points to Prescott, or other particularly effective ways of supporting falmer through the ODPM.

He may also be able to get hold of Prescott's itinery for the next two weeks - could be handy.
[/QUOTE]

oooh - yes - a WE WANT FALMER banner everywhere he turns could be good. A bit like those John X:X banners you get at sports events.

Anyone want to stalk John Prescott for a couple of weeks?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here