Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Campaign Coverage Update

Aug 12, 2003
Perth WA
There will be a big piece in the Argus on Monday, about the flowers thing. Picture was taken at the quiz night last knight by the Argus :clap2: photographer.

Shankly Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Littlehampton
I've had a few people phone me to tell me my letter to Meridian was read out on the evening news piece yesterday evening - 6.30ish I think?

Shankly Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Littlehampton
I meant email.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Shankly Seagull said:
I've had a few people phone me to tell me my letter to Meridian was read out on the evening news piece yesterday evening - 6.30ish I think?

I heard the Argus are doing a big thing on Monday aswell! Since I was at the front of that photo I bet ill be cut out of it!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Update from our "Albion Cell" in London over the past couple of days:

All 6 of us got together last night to discuss ways of getting publicity. Decided people want to know why when asked were Brighton again in trouble...as they have. Most will support but they need to know it's not due to us being wasteful on players wages etc. So written a concise background to the situation (see below) to go with details of how anyone can help.

East London Seagull "negotiated" with Zoo weekly magazine and scored a massive boost for the campaign by getting not only a link activated that day but with text to accompany. And just lighten up for a mo those who think Zoo are taking the piss ref the plankton comment. It's tongue in cheek, think of their readership, not directly aimed at us, written by two Albion die hards and all publicity is good publicity! Zoo have commented they've had more web hits for that than anything else so keep supporting it and they'll keep it on!

http://www.zooweekly.co.uk/nav?page=zooweekly.tellus.campaign

Up at 07.15 and given permission to place this leaflet we wrote in the daily newspaper sport sections at the station newsagents in Maidenhead (can't use acrobat so have just copied and pasted the text - but the leaflet has the same graphics being used by the campaign - with the NSC logo graphic too. See the text at the end of this message). Perhaps people want to do likewise with their newsagents on Sunday and Monday with their leaflets? Rest of the lads petitioning their "patches" too.

Into work.....bound to get sacked for amount of emails sent over last few days.....but former colleague agrees to send the leaflet and web links to a large private mailing list for Charlton fans!

More hard copy letters signed by colleagues, posted (now we're up to about 200 - all gone in seperate envelopes), online
signitures etc

Left work at 5.15ish with a bundle of printed leaflets and got dozens and dozens of QPR, Millwall and Spurs fans on their way home at Baker street/oxford circus interchanges on the underground. I reckon that's where someone should go for tomorrows London games - before and after - I can't do it. Just approach anyone in club colours or reading a programme and sweep the trains like the Romany gypsies do handing out and briefly telling 'em what it's all about. Many already knew, all wanted to read the leaflet and ALL pledged they would definately write as a matter of urgency. By pure luck I got talking to one of Spurs fanzine editors, he gave me his email address and will send our leaflet to his mailing list/get something out in the next edition if not too late. Top bloke, he reckoned they owe us for getting Zamora at a right steel and never gave him a chance!
But many asking why don't we simply develop Withdean so anyone calling radio shows PLEASE SAY WHY AND GET THE MESSAGE ACROSS THAT ITS CENTRAL POLITICS v LOCAL that could spell the end of our club. Missed game obviously but reading everyone's messages makes me proud to be a fan. Keep it up everyone!

Our leaflet - of course it's biased and yes we will cease without Falmer!!

"Brighton and Hove Albion FC were made homeless in 1997 after scandalous asset-stripping by the then board. It brought about football’s 1st ever “Fans United Day” and unprecedented FA involvement in the day to day running of a club. Since then, under new management, “the Albion” as Sussex knows the club has tirelessly searched for a permanent new home, exhausting all possibilities. Constrained by the Downs to the north and the sea to the south, the only environmentally viable location was deemed on land adjacent to the local universities and A27 bypass at Falmer, north Brighton. Our current temporary home at Withdean since 1999 was leased in the full knowledge that it is unsustainable in the mid/long term. Time has almost run out, quite simply everything rests on this application being approved. Without a community stadium, 5 years in planning coupled with £millions of scarce resources invested, it is likely that the Albion will be forced to close as a league club at the end of the current season.

Despite local provision for the stadium in the area’s development plan and overwhelming support for the application from the local MPs, councilors, universities, schools, businesses and most importantly the local electorate (a landslide referendum victory at the polls, 10,000+ individual letters and a county record 65,000+ strong petition in support was hand delivered to Downing Street by Des Lynam and club sponsor Norman Cook, aka ‘Fat Boy Slim’ in December 2003), this week on the 4th of February, 2004 the Whitehall appointed central government official casually dismissed this support and more in his findings, recommending to our Deputy Prime Minister that the application is refused. The Rt Hon. John Prescott will make the final decision in the next 7 days.

If Mr Prescott follows this advice it’ll bring the curtain down on 102 years of proud history, memories of 1983’s immortal FA Cup final commentary “And Smith must score!!”, (he did, but Bailey saved ‘the winner!’), our two recent back to back league championships in 2001 and 2002 and Sussex’s only professional football club.

WE HAVE LESS THAN SEVEN DAYS TO SAVE THE ALBION

Please go to www.northstandchat.biz or www.seagulls.co.uk for more information and pro-forma letters.
Edit and email one of these letters to planning.general@odpm.gsi.gov.uk to support our bid. 5 minutes at lunchtime is all we ask. If you love football, whichever team you support and where ever you live, or just hate central government interference please email the above address in support. Or write to Mr John Prescott, Deputy Prime Minister, 26 Whitehall, London SW1A 2W.
AND THANK YOU"

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Cheers - if you need any help in London I work there M - F so PM me.

Also travelling from St Pancras to Luton on Tuesday - willing to help if required.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
portlock seagull said:

Our leaflet - of course it's biased and yes we will cease without Falmer!!

...... it is likely that the Albion will be forced to close as a league club at the end of the current season.....

.....John Prescott will make the final decision in the next 7 days.....

.....WE HAVE LESS THAN SEVEN DAYS TO SAVE THE ALBION

A little bit of spin in there, but no mention of Weapons of Mass Destruction!! :lolol:

baz

Jul 7, 2003
What protests are planned for the Luton game. Surely we are doing something.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Pretty good response at the Chelsea v Charlton game today. Handed out 100 leaflets outside Fulham Broadway tube after the game, and bar a few 'f**k offs' from Chelsea fans (none from Charlton), they were well received. One bloke had already signed the online petition, quite a few perked up when they heard the word Brighton. Next time, best bet is to get in with the fanzine sellers and take more bloody leaflets. Ran out after about half an hour.

Our Zoo petition now has 150 signatures, and the team there are well impressed. Keep it up!

skintmanblues

Feb 7, 2004
Orsham
JOHN PRESCOTTS PHONE NUMBER RING IT
0207 9444400 I DID SPOKE DIRECT TO HIS PA
VERY HELPFULL

Last edited by a moderator:

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Was looking out for the coverage today and was amazed to find. . . nothing!
Expected at least a mention in the general match reports, at least. But not even a report in the Observer, nor Mail On Sunday, and frankly embarrassing (if buried) detail in the Screws.
Shocking.

Obviously, what you needed was Donkey Adams to make a comment on the Albion situation - guaranteed coverage.

Will be plenty of good stuff in Argus tomorrow, I expect.
But all you nationals - for shame.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I'm really hoping the nationals will show the picture of Charlton fans holding up the Falmer signs. They did take photo's. If they don't. Anyone know how I could get hold of the pictures?

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Nice one Charlton, if they did so.
Keep it up, lads.
Hope the banners distract all their players on Wednesday night too. . .

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
portlock seagull said:
East London Seagull "negotiated" with Zoo weekly magazine and scored a massive boost for the campaign by getting not only a link activated that day but with text to accompany. And just lighten up for a mo those who think Zoo are taking the piss ref the plankton comment. It's tongue in cheek, think of their readership, not directly aimed at us, written by two Albion die hards and all publicity is good publicity! Zoo have commented they've had more web hits for that than anything else so keep supporting it and they'll keep it on!

http://www.zooweekly.co.uk/nav?page=zooweekly.tellus.campaign

Guilty as charged your honour. I promise to lighten up, AND sign the petition

Trotster

Jul 9, 2003
Threshers
I got the argus this morning and there are no pictures in it of the quiz night - perhaps they will be in a later edition?? Anyone able to get a copy this afternoon??

Trotster

Jul 9, 2003
Threshers
I got the argus this morning and there are no pictures in it of the quiz night - perhaps they will be in a later edition?? Anyone able to get a copy this afternoon??

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Was on Mark Chapman's version of 6-0-6 last night. He urged fans from all clubs to write to JP

Lush

Mods' Pet
Reasons to buy the Argus today...

1) Lovely pics of demo
2) Quotes from Tom Hark, Fran Hagerty, seagullsgonnagetya, Lush and maybe other NSC-ers I don't recognise by their real names?
3) A brilliant poem by Safeway
4) A lingerie centre-spread, for those so inclined.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here