Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cabinet reshuffle

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
probably right. another bloody inquiry which will come up with the same findings we already know: that we have lots of flight capacity but not enough slots spare from Heathrow; and draw the same conclusion: that we need to expand Heathrow or the economy will collapse within a year.

Boris Johnson threatens to go to war with the govt if they signal a change of policy on the 3rd runway

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Rubbish. Schools up and down the country are not replacing teachers who are leaving or retiring and classroom helpers have been slashed to the bone. As an example I understand Thomas Bennett in Crawley has lost around 10-15 classroom assistants and helpers and 4 full-time teachers since the current clowns came in.

if they are clever enough they will move to eton/harrow or not as the case might be

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
no, where did i say that ? dont try to se3ll yourself as a selfless public servant, you're not.

The bit where you said:
That says it all, I live in the real world and know plenty of these cases in my own extended family, you, and people like you , do the jobs you do because there is no pressure , no target , no PROFIT to make?

That indicated to me that according to you all of those factors had to be present for a job to be worthwhile.

I wasnt trying to sell myself as a selfless public servant. That is a conclusion that you have jumped to.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
probably right. another bloody inquiry which will come up with the same findings we already know: that we have lots of flight capacity but not enough slots spare from Heathrow; and draw the same conclusion: that we need to expand Heathrow or the economy will collapse within a year.

Heathrow needs a third runway just to be able to operate efficeintly at it's current capacity let alone a increased figure. I used to be against its expansion but having seen how outdated it is and seen Schipol upgraded and Berlin build a brand new airport I think it is time Heathrow was brought up to date otherwise the country will loose out. I also think an airport up north should be upgraded as well. As a nation we are far too London-centric and anything to mitigate this should be taken.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Boris Johnson threatens to go to war with the govt if they signal a change of policy on the 3rd runway

someone once said (I think it might have been Dennis Healy) something about being mauled by a dead?wet? sheep this might be one of those cases

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
I'd bet its nowhere near what you'd be expected to acgieve in the private sector.

I dont know I no longer work in that field. i was merely informing you that they have targets after you had stated quite categorically that they wouldnt.

You seem to have moved off of the cabinet reshuffle topic and moved into other areas.

Nevermind I suppose thats all part and parcel of a debate.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Jeremy Hunt now health secretary sums this bunch of twats up

Ha ha ha ha ha! Priceless. What a prize berk Hunt is.

Either Cameron is thinking I can't be beaten so what the hell, or I'm not sure if I care that much about being prime-minister.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Heathrow needs a third runway just to be able to operate efficeintly at it's current capacity let alone a increased figure. I used to be against its expansion but having seen how outdated it is and seen Schipol upgraded and Berlin build a brand new airport I think it is time Heathrow was brought up to date otherwise the country will loose out. I also think an airport up north should be upgraded as well. As a nation we are far too London-centric and anything to mitigate this should be taken.

suprised you've been sold on the whole Heathrow must expand or we die spin. Heathrow only needs upgrading so it can act as a business travel hub and because the operator wants to maintain its role as both a hub and a tourist conveyor. if it chose the former and the tourist flights were shifted elsewhere, like Gatwick or northern airports as you suggest, then there'd be no need to expand Heathrows capacity.

if we want to compare with Schipol, we would ditch Heathrow altogether as its hemmed in, and go and build a new air port form scratch some where to the north or west of London. however since there isnt a 9 sq mile space that doesnt involve tearing down a few thousand homes, we are left with Boris's otherwise daft island as the only real option. or we could go back a few steps and look at a policy to decide what we need from air travel and how we can accomodate those requirements for the next generation.

bit of a meander off topic, but this Heathow matter seems to show how we let a few special and vested interests drive policy, rather than the actual politicans or even wider industry.

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

This this this.

Capital infrastructure projects that leave Britain with increased capacity or capability to trade with the outside world is exactly what we need.

So for example, the building of a new dedicated science park dedicated to the development of GM crops in Cambridge would be perfect. New industry, bound to be required by global public, will be done by the Chinese if we don't do it, next to one of the worlds academic hubs = perfect. Creates jobs to build it, attracts talent, leaves a legacy.

Heathrow expansion won't even cost us a penny. BAA have said they will pick up the tab.

What we don't need is stuff like a new road to join say Oxford and Leicester for sale of example. Waste of cash, creates short term jobs, no proven legacy.

Anyhow, this government is all about twiddling it's thumbs and doing sod all. Not helped by its 4/5 year terms which means that it, like most administrations, has to make promises that it won't do X Y or Z otherwise it gets beaten at the next election by Nimbyistic voters.

I'm all for going for an 8 year term for the next government so they can actually do some radical and valuable stuff.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
someone once said (I think it might have been Dennis Healy) something about being mauled by a dead?wet? sheep this might be one of those cases

It was Dennis healey who said of Geoffrey Howe: "It's like being savaged by a dead sheep."

having said that, it was geoffrey Howe's speech in the hose of commons after being sacked by he iron lady which at least contributed to or perhaps even caused the downfall of Mrs T - so good man, in that respect at least.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Craig Noone to the Welsh Office......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here