Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ben Diaz.

RoversGoingUp

Dec 26, 2021
I do agree with you on no way Blackburn sell in January - but depending on what papers you read - his contract is up in the summer OR there might be some kind of extension clause for 1 year in it

Our manager has literally said the club has a 1-year option that they will trigger.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

I'd be amazed if anyone pays £25M for a player with 6 months left. That said - I guess for West Ham if they can secure 4th-6th space with a few more goals / cover up front then the European places + amount for a higher finish probably covers half of that straight away.

I still can't decide if he's actually any good, or just in a real purple patch. But I suspect not one for us

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I'd be amazed if anyone pays £25M for a player with 6 months left. That said - I guess for West Ham if they can secure 4th-6th space with a few more goals / cover up front then the European places + amount for a higher finish probably covers half of that straight away.

I still can't decide if he's actually any good, or just in a real purple patch. But I suspect not one for us

I think they can extend by one year if they wish.

But I agree with you about purple patches. I recall some research that shows that one not season very rarely an indicator of long term goal scoring potential. But this guy is still quite young.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Given that Diaz (22) has a 1 year option that Blackburn would be insane to not trigger, he has essentially 18 months left on his contract. So £25m for a striker with 18 months left with 20 goals in 27 Championship games... 3 goals in 18 games Chris Wood (31) anyone?

I see him as being similar to Maupay in some ways, who was also 22 when he signed and coming off the back of a super Championship season. Unproven at this level, but young enough and talented enough to make the step up if you don't expect 15 goals in their first season. Maupay (to me at least) has improved his game every season he's been with up and has been worth every penny of his £20m fee. Diaz has the look of that kind of buy about him and does seem like an Ashworth kind of player.

Then again, what do I know?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Something I just considered. Maupay also only has 18 months left on his deal. So depending on what happens could be a replacement? Not that I watched Diaz loads, but is he an out and out striker? Or wide man? Last night at Hull he seemed to be out on the left and cutting in for the parts of the match I saw

Any way my view for a while has been we don't need 'more of the same' we need 'the next level' and as you say, I think Diaz might be 'more of the same'

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Given that Diaz (22) has a 1 year option that Blackburn would be insane to not trigger, he has essentially 18 months left on his contract. So £25m for a striker with 18 months left with 20 goals in 27 Championship games... 3 goals in 18 games Chris Wood (31) anyone?

I see him as being similar to Maupay in some ways, who was also 22 when he signed and coming off the back of a super Championship season. Unproven at this level, but young enough and talented enough to make the step up if you don't expect 15 goals in their first season. Maupay (to me at least) has improved his game every season he's been with up and has been worth every penny of his £20m fee. Diaz has the look of that kind of buy about him and does seem like an Ashworth kind of player.

Then again, what do I know?

I agree and see him as an equal to Maupay.

Many will moan we need better but we need numbers of the same or better.

He'd be a great fit and gives more options.

No convinced we are in for anyone this window though

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
we will keep our powder dry until the summer now. Much better options available then

On top of that we could have a hefty transfer kitty then....

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'd so love this to be true, could be a win win for both clubs, we get to sign one of the most exciting folrwards in the Championship, in exchange for two young talents we have loaned out to Blackburn for the season, plus a fair wedge of cash no doubt.

Unfortunately though it doesn't go with our current business model, the club seemingly intent on promoting from the academy and not spending big on players from outside the club.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I'd so love this to be true, could be a win win for both clubs, we get to sign one of the most exciting folrwards in the Championship, in exchange for two young talents we have loaned out to Blackburn for the season, plus a fair wedge of cash no doubt.

Unfortunately though it doesn't go with our current business model, the club seemingly intent on promoting from the academy and not spending big on players from outside the club.

Were the club not prepared to spend big on Darwin Nunez? I think they will spend big (within reason) for the right player, which means they have to be young enough to have a good resale value in 4/5 years time.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
swapping two fantastic young talents for a championship striker having his first good season? nah, can't see it

Diaz is only 22, van Hecke 21 and Khadra 20. Diaz has played 160 games at Championship level and although it's his first high scoring season he must have offered something to rack up the number of games he did in his previous seasons.

I think I'd describe it as swapping two fantastic young talents for one fantastic young talent who happens to be a striker (seemingly the hardest position to fill) and has a lot of experience for his age. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I think your comparison between the players is a little off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here