Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ben Diaz.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I think it would make sense and put us in a position where we are at the front of the list of a number of clubs as Reda and Jean-Paul are already settled and enjoying their football at Blackburn. To have Diaz and Undav with us for next season would suggest that either Trossard or Maupay are off but that’s the way it goes when players aren’t prepared to sign extensions to their contracts.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Khadra might make sense - van Hecke less so as he's having a Ben White season by all accounts and we certainly need to strengthen our back line next season having sold both White and Burn with no replacement.

Of course if the club thinks those two aren't going to make the step up, and they know better than any of us, then do it - (*not if Blackburn get promoted though - imagine neither side will want to budge in that scenario)

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
swapping two fantastic young talents for a championship striker having his first good season? nah, can't see it
We've been 'linked' with BBD for ages now. Young striker doing well for one season in the Championship + Brighton need a striker = a nice easy bit of journalism when they can't find anything else to print (apart from WWIII incoming, but that's just a tad too depressing for the sports page).

They might get Khadra, maybe for another year on loan. The only way they'll get Van Hecke is if they get promoted and we loan him to then for another season for him to cut his PL teeth (and learn the hard lessons he'll undoubtedly be given at that level) with them before coming back to us for 2023-24.

Are we going for BBD? Well, if I've got nothing else to write about I could say yes, we are, in a race with West Ham and ............ who else shall we add? Palarse? Southamption? ....... or let the sub-editor choose. We've bought Undav (although I thought we were going to go for Vanzier (sp)!) and we've got youngsters out on loan or in the 1st. team squad. If we track down another Nunez (without the likes of Benfica looking use their name and fame to make a killing and double their money) I'm sure we'd go in for them.

But is Diaz another Nunez? I doubt it.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Khadra might make sense - van Hecke less so as he's having a Ben White season by all accounts and we certainly need to strengthen our back line next season having sold both White and Burn with no replacement.

Of course if the club thinks those two aren't going to make the step up, and they know better than any of us, then do it - (*not if Blackburn get promoted though - imagine neither side will want to budge in that scenario)

I was going to write the same. Blackburn fans have been quite Leedsy in their enthusiasm for van Hecke (but without the entitlement, to be fair), so I wouldn't be surpirsed if the decision to sell Burn was made on the basis that van Hecke had already been earmarked to come into the first-team squad next season anyway.

Can't quite see who Khadra would displace in the current squad. Would be dependent on outgoings and other loanees such as Mitoma I suppose.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Bad ankle injury at the moment and hasn't scored in 2022 yet.

I like him as a player but no way would I want to swap both or either Khadra or particularly Van Hecke for him.

I get that but Diaz is clearly more valuable than either and has the advantage (contractually) to push for EPL football next season.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We've been 'linked' with BBD for ages now. Young striker doing well for one season in the Championship + Brighton need a striker = a nice easy bit of journalism when they can't find anything else to print (apart from WWIII incoming, but that's just a tad too depressing for the sports page).

They might get Khadra, maybe for another year on loan. The only way they'll get Van Hecke is if they get promoted and we loan him to then for another season for him to cut his PL teeth (and learn the hard lessons he'lll undoubtedly be given at that level) with them before coming back to us for 2023-24.

Are we going for BBD? Well, if \I've got nothing else to write about I could say yes, we are, in a race with West Ham and ............ who else shall we add? Palarse? Southamption? ....... or let the sub-editor choose. We've bought Undav (although I thought we were going to go for Vanzier (sp)!) and we've got youngsters out on loan or in the 1st. team squad. If we track down another Nunez (without the likes of Benfica looking use their name and fame to make a killing and double their money) I'm sure we'd go in for them.

But is Diaz another Nunez? I doubt it.
Would you want us to loan to a PL rival? we’ve already managed to strengthen Newcastle who will probably finish above us.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Would you want us to loan to a PL rival? we’ve already managed to strengthen Newcastle who will probably finish above us.
If you think that Blackburn squad will be a rival to us should they get promoted you haven't been paying attention to the Championship.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If you think that Blackburn squad will be a rival to us should they get promoted you haven't been paying attention to the Chamionship.
Oh yeah I forgot how good we are can’t win for shit and recently got beaten comfortably at home by a side who hadn’t won a single away game all season.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh yeah I forgot how good we are can’t win for shit and recently got beaten comfortably at home by a side who hadn’t won a single away game all season.
You obviously still haven't got it. If you think Blackburn are anywhere near the standard of Burnley you really are deluded. Even if they get the six points off us that your determined miserablism seems to predict, that still won't help them get far into double figures for the season. Ask the Blackburn fans if you don't want to believe me.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If you think that Blackburn squad will be a rival to us should they get promoted you haven't been paying attention to the Chamionship.

The chances of Blackburn being promoted are deminishing by the day, athough l realise that if they can make the Play Offs then anyhing can happen, it's a complete lottery.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
You obviously still haven't got it. If you think Blackburn are anywhere near the standard of Burnley you really are deluded. Even if they get the six points off us that your determined miserablism seems to predict, that still won't help them get for into double figures for the season. Ask the Blackburn fans if you don't want to believe me.
Three or four new faces incoming and things can change considering they have a few loans if they did make it they would be forced to buy a few. Will be a tough season next year especially if we sell and don’t replace with some quality.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Three or four new faces incoming and things can change considering they have a few loans if they did make it they would be forced to buy a few. Will be a tough season next year especially if we sell and don’t replace with some quality.

So your point is that if a promoted club signs four good players, and we sell all our good players, and don’t replace them - that we might struggle in comparison? Imagine that.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So your point is that if a promoted club signs four good players, and we sell all our good players, and don’t replace them - that we might struggle in comparison? Imagine that.

Good response - saved me the bother! Plus the fact that they have no money and the Venkeys have totally lost interest.

On reflection though, if you hadn't beaten me to it, I might just have replied, "Yawn"!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
No that wasn’t the point as you probably are aware. The subject was if Blackburn got promoted read the posts next time.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Bad ankle injury at the moment and hasn't scored in 2022 yet.

I like him as a player but no way would I want to swap both or either Khadra or particularly Van Hecke for him.

It would have made absolutely zero sense to sell Burn if we weren't planning for one or two of the loanees to come back to the club next season. Given that the most obvious candidate is Van Hecke, it would then be bizarre if we swapped him (fully or partially) for Diaz. Also, I don't really think clubs do swaps anymore (unless trying to manipulate FFP).

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It would have made absolutely zero sense to sell Burn if we weren't planning for one or two of the loanees to come back to the club next season. Given that the most obvious candidate is Van Hecke, it would then be bizarre if we swapped him (fully or partially) for Diaz. Also, I don't really think clubs do swaps anymore (unless trying to manipulate FFP).

Can’t see how a swap could manipulate FFP. I’m sure it’d have been done if it was possible.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No that wasn’t the point as you probably are aware. The subject was if Blackburn got promoted read the posts next time.

Yes, and you were doom spreading that they'd be rivals next season if they came up. Even if they took six points off us (unlikely) we'd still finish comfortably above them. There's an interesting thread on their forum about how many, if any, of their players would do OK in the PL. Put it this way, if they come up, they won't be over-confident. Of the players they do think might be OK in the PL, there is one name that comes up more often than most.

I'll give you a clue: he doesn't play for Chile. And I'll give you a second clue: he isn't one of their players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here