Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ben Diaz.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
In what way ?

Not denying his sensational form this season - but his stats are not great up until then. £20M+ for same as we have doesn’t sound like good business, suspect it’s been leaked to open up a bidding war

well he offers us a more physical option, he's someone who can play across the front line and would help us have much more of an aerial threat. not commenting on the validity of the rumour, could well be rubbish, but I think in terms of what he would offer us, it would be a good signing. If we can't afford the likes of Nunez then this is the type of zone we're shopping in.

RoversGoingUp

Dec 26, 2021
Rovers fan here.

He has been excellent this season, just agree with some that it could be considered a risk for you. AA and Toney are good recent examples of good Championship level strikers not quite able to make the step up (though they could still come good). he has been very poor previously, so much so that the bookies had him at 1000 to 1 to score 20 goals this season (lots of fans are now 1 goal away from a substantial windfall although some cashed in when offered a buy-out), just hope he gets that 1 goal before going anywhere haha. Could this season just As an aside, kedhbe a flash in the pan? Not sure, but id possibly leave it another season before making the plunge. If he can replicate this form next season (assuming we don't go up) then he might be worth a shot.

As an aside, khedra and What the Van Hecke have been brilliant lately. The latter has helped us keep 5 clean sheets in a row and got himself a goal too. Khedra is lightning quick and has picked up some goals and assists for us. Those 2 and 15 million for Diaz!

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Rovers fan here.

He has been excellent this season, just agree with some that it could be considered a risk for you. AA and Toney are good recent examples of good Championship level strikers not quite able to make the step up (though they could still come good). he has been very poor previously, so much so that the bookies had him at 1000 to 1 to score 20 goals this season (lots of fans are now 1 goal away from a substantial windfall although some cashed in when offered a buy-out), just hope he gets that 1 goal before going anywhere haha. Could this season just As an aside, kedhbe a flash in the pan? Not sure, but id possibly leave it another season before making the plunge. If he can replicate this form next season (assuming we don't go up) then he might be worth a shot.

As an aside, khedra and What the Van Hecke have been brilliant lately. The latter has helped us keep 5 clean sheets in a row and got himself a goal too. Khedra is lightning quick and has picked up some goals and assists for us. Those 2 and 15 million for Diaz!

I think both those boys are very highly thought of here mate so don’t see them leaving in January I’m tempted to have a few Bob on your lot for automatic promotion as you seem to be getting stronger as the season progresses

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Rovers fan here.

Nice honest assessment there about Diaz. From what i've seen I share your sentiments. Diaz looks decent but currently feels a risk.

Doubt we'll easily let Khadra or Van Hecke go though. Of the many young players we currently have out on loan those 2 look some of the most likely to be back in the first team next year.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Rovers fan here.

Webster was £22m a couple of years ago (maybe 25% extra for english tax) from the championship just as a bench mark for van hecke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Supposedly he’s staying until the summer regardless and the Venkys have put up a big promotion bonus for the squad recently

Not that fussed any way - decent player but no better than what we have

Webster was £22m a couple of years ago (maybe 25% extra for english tax) from the championship just as a bench mark for van hecke.

To be fair Webster had a good few EFL seasons (150ish appearances) before then at Portsmouth, Ipswich , Bristol City go get to that point

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Rovers fan here.

We surely won’t wait. We have an urgent need and cannot wait for the price to rise a la Toney

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think both those boys are very highly thought of here mate so don’t see them leaving in January I’m tempted to have a few Bob on your lot for automatic promotion as you seem to be getting stronger as the season progresses

Definately, far rather see you return to the Premier League than either Bmuff or Fulham, both of whom have had a go at it very recently, and in the case of Fulham failed miserably. It will be nice to see someone different.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We surely won’t wait. We have an urgent need and cannot wait for the price to rise a la Toney

All I know is that Ben Brereton was shite but Ben Brereton Diaz looks half decent.

The thing is, he'll cost £25m with Blackburn in 4th place so I'm not convinced our recruitment team will decide that is money worth spending.

I reckon we are more likely to ride this season out with what we've got and target a.striker from somewhere like Portugal or Belgium. It'll be a risk whoever we sign, but I suspect a talisman at a Championship top six side is going to be too expensive a risk.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It’s the equivalent of selling Glenn Murray in the January of the season we got promoted [emoji23] No way he joins anyone this window

Or perhaps when we let Ashley Barnes join Burnley for £500k

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It’s the equivalent of selling Glenn Murray in the January of the season we got promoted [emoji23] No way he joins anyone this window

Or perhaps when we let Ashley Barnes join Burnley for £500k

Both deals that didn't merely bite us on the proverbial bum, but took massive chunks out of it. :annoyed:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I would hazard a guess that the club will not be rushing in to any old deal or the wrong deal just for the sake of getting hold of someone who could be described as a striker because you use the word “urgent”.

RoversGoingUp

Dec 26, 2021

Just re-read my original post for the first time - jeez I must have been drunk - its all over the place lol.

Yeah, admit is probably pie in the Sky getting them off you permanently although they both seem to enjoy it here. Probably just normal when you're regularly playing for a winning team.

As for promotion, we always do better in the first half of the season. TM is known here and at previous clubs for post-Xmas death spirals though, so just hope its different this time. He had a much bigger squad last season and would tinker too much.Due to the smaller squad, he seems to have stumbled upon a good system this time round that scores goals and keeps them out, so hopefully it continues. To be honest, if getting up recoups a load of the Venky's debt and they finally sell up, id snap your hand off right now - even if it meant we went straight back down.

RoversGoingUp

Dec 26, 2021
Nice honest assessment there about Diaz. From what i've seen I share your sentiments. Diaz looks decent but currently feels a risk.

Doubt we'll easily let Khadra or Van Hecke go though. Of the many young players we currently have out on loan those 2 look some of the most likely to be back in the first team next year.

Yeah, just think if you were thinking of spending the reported 25 mil it will take to get him, you could get someone more established at that level. We have an extra year option on him which we will trigger so he's not gonna be out of contract for a while yet.

RoversGoingUp

Dec 26, 2021
Definately, far rather see you return to the Premier League than either Bmuff or Fulham, both of whom have had a go at it very recently, and in the case of Fulham failed miserably. It will be nice to see someone different.

Yeah its boring seeing the same teams go up and down but that's what the parachute payments do. They make it very hard for others to compete - so just hoping we continue to spoil their party.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here