Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ben Diaz.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
He ticks a lot of our boxes in terms of potential transfers. Still very young. Has improved massively over the last couple of seasons and adapted well to international which bodes well for the step up. We need to get someone in who takes some of the workload off Maupay, and he looks like a player who might do that. Anything under 20 million would be a decent price and relatively risk free and doesn’t come with any of the absolute circus that would follow a huge, marquee signing in January. I’d be really happy with this. I don’t think we need to risk spending £50 million on something this window. And I still have hope that one of these punts will work spectacularly.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Andy Naylor has said no truth in the £20m offer made for Diaz , that is no doubt correct at this moment in time but it doesn’t mean that Brighton won’t make a bid when the window opens . Watching brief for now - just saying …..

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Bendy Arse…………. It’s one of those joke names surely.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
We won't sign him as he's a striker. Plus we have Welbeck coming back next month. We're more likely to go for another centre half.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
There was definitely some talk about an Albion interest at the Blackburn end a few weeks ago, linked to possible extensions or permanent deals for Khadra and Van Hecke. Personally I think those two are good prospects and I'm not sure about Brereton-Diaz, but if the club likes him ...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There was definitely some talk about an Albion interest at the Blackburn end a few weeks ago, linked to possible extensions or permanent deals for Khadra and Van Hecke. Personally I think those two are good prospects and I'm not sure about Brereton-Diaz, but if the club likes him ...

You know about these things, but I think Diaz joining us in Jan is extremely unlikely, and largely because I see no point in Blackburn selling him, even for an inflated price, midway through a season in which they're challenging for the far larger prize of PL football, which will accrue them even more money than an inflated Diaz transfer fee. I could get it if he's in the last year of his contract, but doubt that's the case.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Unless Blackburn are in a massive amount of trouble economically, I dont think he is going anywhere in January.

Probably true that the club follows him though... but that probably goes for 19 other PL clubs as well.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
You know about these things, but I think Diaz joining us in Jan is extremely unlikely, and largely because I see no point in Blackburn selling him, even for an inflated price, midway through a season in which they're challenging for the far larger prize of PL football, which will accrue them even more money than an inflated Diaz transfer fee. I could get it if he's in the last year of his contract, but doubt that's the case.

Strange one. His contract is meant to run out in June but there is talk of a year extension being an option. However, it might well need agreement from the player (who knows?) If that’s the case, Diaz will surely be on his way if there is EPL interest?

On another note, whilst he looks to have a better all round game than say a Murray (he has pace!) he is clearly not at the same level as Nunez whom the club have been (according to the media) hot on for years.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Strange one. His contract is meant to run out in June but there is talk of a year extension being an option. However, it might well need agreement from the player (who knows?) If that’s the case, Diaz will surely be on his way if there is EPL interest?

On another note, whilst he looks to have a better all round game than say a Murray (he has pace!) he is clearly not at the same level as Nunez whom the club have been (according to the media) hot on for years.

Forget Nunez. Way out of our purchase range now… BBD it is then…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rover In Exile

Dec 7, 2021
Rovers supporter here.
A sale is not impossible, actually, but it would definitely have to be 20 million plus (or a deal involving van Hecke and Khadra).
Nobody wants to lose him and several people on this site have mentioned that Rovers would be daft to sell someone who might help them to promotion.
All the same, staying within FFP guidelines is a priority now for all Championship clubs, and that might be a factor.
It's a balance, really. If we got promotion, we'd almost certainly go straight back down, but the parachute-payments ease that blow, and make another promotion push possible.
You could call it the "Fulham/Norwich Model"!

Last edited:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Rovers supporter here.
A sale is not impossible, actually, but it would definitely have to be 20 million plus (or a deal involving van Hecke and Khadra).
Nobody wants to lose him and several people on this site have mentioned that Rovers would be daft to sell someone who might help them to promotion.
All the same, staying within FFP guidelines is a priority now for all Championship clubs, and that might be a factor.
It's a balance, really. If we got promotion, we'd almost certainly go straight back down, but the parachute-payments ease that blow, and make another promotion push possible.

4th in the league and 4 points from the auto spots where a £150m+ windfall lives i can’t see any sale happening until the summer regardless of FFP. I cannot see his stock dropping over the course of the second half of the season.

From our own time in the championship I would be livid as a fan if we sold our top goal scorer mid season when flying that high in the table

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Rovers supporter here.

I was actually going to ask you about BBD, so thanks for posting. How would you describe his attributes? I am one of those posters that think you won't sell in January. Unless you go up, though, I suspect he'll go in the summer.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The gulf between the premier league and championship is huge. Not convinced he is any better than what we have

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
The gulf between the premier league and championship is huge. Not convinced he is any better than what we have

I was idly looking at Championship goalscorers....the two big things from last season were Ivan Toney (30 goals) and Adam Armstrong (26 goals).

This season Toney has 4 (including 2 pens) and Armstrong has 2.

The big thing this season is clearly Mitrovic (22 goals already) - but last season he scored 3 in the EPL.

The gulf is, indeed, huge.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
even if he isn't streets ahead of what we have he definitely offers something different in an area where we're sorely lacking options

In what way ?

Not denying his sensational form this season - but his stats are not great up until then. £20M+ for same as we have doesn’t sound like good business, suspect it’s been leaked to open up a bidding war

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here