Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bart Verbruggen SINGS a 5-year deal

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
A question for you all

Can you name a match we've played in that meets all the following criteria?

• Since we've been promoted
  • We've generally been second best
  • Our keeper has won us a point or 3 with a string of fine saves (Call it 5+ difficult saves)

Just to make it harder, you can't name the Newcastle game last Saturday.

The reason i'm asking the question, is because, if I gave it some thought, I reckon I could name about 50 matches, where we've been on top and the opposing keeper has been inspired and got them something.

But the other way around I find harder. When did a keeper last get us something? Something we probably shouldn't have got?
It does seem like keepers have blinders against us far more often than ours do against other teams. I think that's partly because, apart from the two Hughton seasons, we've tended to dominate games and therefore give away less chances.

I have a memory like a sieve so I can't say off the top of my head any particular game where our keeper has had a worldy and won us points but I'm fairly sure Ryan had a few games where he made very important and big saves - I have games away games against Stoke and Southampton floating around my head but can't recall the specifics.

Likewise when Sanchez first came into the team it was like a breath of fresh air as he started making saves that Ryan couldn't so I'm sure he had games where he won us points - especially in the first year or so after he broke into the team.

In terms of Ver Bruggen's performance against the geordies I'd say it was excellent but not because he made a string of world class saves(he didn't) but because he didn't put a foot wrong in a game when we were under a lot of pressure. It was exactly the kind of performance you want from your keeper.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
In terms of Ver Bruggen's performance against the geordies I'd say it was excellent but not because he made a string of world class saves(he didn't) but because he didn't put a foot wrong in a game when we were under a lot of pressure. It was exactly the kind of performance you want from your keeper.
Agree with all that. And that corner claim at the end was a wonderful moment which is possibly shaping my view

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We are finally getting the form he shows for Holland, I don’t think last seasons swapping with Steele did his confidence any good whatsoever.
Or maybe not being thrown in at the deep end as the main man from the start actually helped breed the confidence that he's now showing?

:shrug:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They will. No problem - we have Rushworth and Beadle on the line.

Rushworth is actually older than Verbruggen. I wonder if he'll end up being sold without a first team appearance.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He was/is the Dutch no.1 what was the deep end? I guess it’s a question we will never know the answer to.
New league, young keeper and lots of pressure with possession-based DeZerbi ball. Playing every week *could* have got to him. He definitely made a few mistakes that led to goals over the course of the season from Fannying Around At The Back(TM).

But yes - we'll never know.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
New league, young keeper and lots of pressure with possession-based DeZerbi ball. Playing every week *could* have got to him. He definitely made a few mistakes that led to goals over the course of the season from Fannying Around At The Back(TM).

But yes - we'll never know.
We'll never know, but I strongly suspect that if he's got the mentality to make it as a top level goal keeper (and I think he has) then he would have coped and probably would have benefited more from playing than sitting on his arse.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
We might be getting better but because of the way we play, we have and will continue to give up high quality chances this season.

For that reason it's essential that we have a keeper who once in a while can pull off that string of saves to get us points in a tight game
Right, but those saves aren’t the type of blinding saves that make highlight reels. They’re the one on ones from people getting in behind us. Many of the other saves, as others have pointed out, are pretty standard saves at this level. But that keeper needs to be switched on enough, and have good enough positioning to make them seem like regulation stops.

Ultimately, we’re conceding very few chances this year - our keeper(s) aren’t actually being called on that much.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We'll never know, but I strongly suspect that if he's got the mentality to make it as a top level goal keeper (and I think he has) then he would have coped and probably would have benefited more from playing than sitting on his arse.
I'm sure RDZ will spill the beans one day about his decision to do it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here