Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bart Verbruggen SINGS a 5-year deal

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Top game from Bart - possibly his strongest game for us so far? Saved us on a number of occasions, really pleased for him and his confidence will grow and grow👍👍

He's proven on the international stage that he's a top keeper. Confidence was never the issue.

His distribution is noticeably improving all the time.

Will surely end up being the Albion's best ever keeper.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
He's proven on the international stage that he's a top keeper. Confidence was never the issue.

His distribution is noticeably improving all the time.

Will surely end up being the Albion's best ever keeper.
How long before the so called big boys come sniffing round?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
How long before the so called big boys come sniffing round?

1729404612295.png

Do Big Boys have big noses?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
A question for you all

Can you name a match we've played in that meets all the following criteria?

• Since we've been promoted
  • We've generally been second best
  • Our keeper has won us a point or 3 with a string of fine saves (Call it 5+ difficult saves)

Just to make it harder, you can't name the Newcastle game last Saturday.

The reason i'm asking the question, is because, if I gave it some thought, I reckon I could name about 50 matches, where we've been on top and the opposing keeper has been inspired and got them something.

But the other way around I find harder. When did a keeper last get us something? Something we probably shouldn't have got?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
A question for you all

• Our keeper has won us a point or 3 with a string of fine saves (Call it 5+ difficult saves)

The reason i'm asking the question, is because, if I gave it some thought, I reckon I could name about 50 matches, where we've been on top and the opposing keeper has been inspired and got them something.

But the other way around I find harder. When did a keeper last get us something? Something we probably shouldn't have got?
I think there will have been a few under Chris Hughton, including a 1-0 victory at St. James' Park, Newcastle. In fact I think we won 3 games 1-0 that month whilst conceding 50+ shots across all 3. So, all 3 of those games may qualify.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
A question for you all

Would you say there were really 5 top saves against Newcastle? The curling shot from Gordon, yes. The one on one against Isaac and Gordong, good but not top saves as in both cases, the strikers failed miserably, thankfully.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think there will have been a few under Chris Hughton, including a 1-0 victory at St. James' Park, Newcastle. In fact I think we won 3 games 1-0 that month whilst conceding 50+ shots across all 3. So, all 3 of those games may qualify.
Just checked and that was 6 years ago yesterday! King Kayal got our winner

We conceded 6 shots on target. No idea if they were regulation saves or worldies, but well done Maty

So I think we're saying, the last time a keeper had a blinder to win us points was 6 years ago? Does anyone disagree that there have been dozens of occasions that the opposite has happened in the interim?

I'm not criticising the keepers we've had. They've all had some great moments. And I don't dispute that we will have have had keepers make one or two notable saves in these matches.

What I'm trying to get towards is games where our keeper has been involved all through the game and looked like an immoveable object, in the way that so many (usually ordinary) keepers do, down at the Amex

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
A question for you all

Was chatting to a Newcastle supporting mate after the game, we've been on the end of this multiple times but I can't recall our keepers ever having a worldie and winning us 3 points.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
A question for you all

Not 3 points but Liverpool last season Verbruggen kept it from being embarrassing.

He's had quite a few very good games, I can't name them off the top of my head though.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Just checked and that was 6 years ago yesterday! King Kayal got our winner

We conceded 6 shots on target. No idea if they were regulation saves or worldies, but well done Maty

So I think we're saying, the last time a keeper had a blinder to win us points was 6 years ago? Does anyone disagree that there have been dozens of occasions that the opposite has happened in the interim?

I'm not criticising the keepers we've had. They've all had some great moments. And I don't dispute that we will have have had keepers make one or two notable saves in these matches.

What I'm trying to get towards is games where our keeper has been involved all through the game and looked like an immoveable object, in the way that so many (usually ordinary) keepers do, down at the Amex
I think there’s probably a few games from 17-18 and 18-19 seasons where Ryan had very good performances that the opposition may well have seen as points-winning.

Games from 17-18 that spring to mind - Arsenal home, Tottenham home, Stoke away for the penalty save.

18-19 - those three consecutive 1-0s all stick out, Arsenal 1-1 at home and that terrible 0-0 at Wolves.

Last edited:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Not 3 points but Liverpool last season Verbruggen kept it from being embarrassing.

He's had quite a few very good games, I can't name them off the top of my head though.
Agreed. And Sanchez definitely had games like that.

The reality is, the better you get the less you rely on your keeper to make save after save. They make that one or two saves that matter, often saves that are 1v1s or saves that are made to look simple because of their good positioning, but they’re never going have a Foster for Watford performance against us.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Agreed. And Sanchez definitely had games like that.

The reality is, the better you get the less you rely on your keeper to make save after save. They make that one or two saves that matter, often saves that are 1v1s or saves that are made to look simple because of their good positioning, but they’re never going have a Foster for Watford performance against us.
We might be getting better but because of the way we play, we have and will continue to give up high quality chances this season.

For that reason it's essential that we have a keeper who once in a while can pull off that string of saves to get us points in a tight game

Jovis

Mar 30, 2012
But how times have those ordinary keepers looked like they’ve had worldies at the Amex, when actually what has cost us was our dire finishing?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here