Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3-1 to the referee

Reeves_for_England

Aug 3, 2003
This is going to sound like I'm a really sore loser, but everything that I'm going to write is true. I was fully prepared to lose today and wouldn't have minded at all if it was done in a fair manner. But it wasn't.

Brighton created 2 chances (perhaps 3) in the whole match. If you can find a more disgraceful penalty decision than the one which gifted Brighton the match, then I'll be amazed.

Picture the scene:
The ball is played over the top, Scott Vernon runs on to it and is hacked down outside the area by Ben Roberts. This offence is at least a booking, but the referee decides that no yellow card or even a word with the keeper is necessary.
A few minutes later, the ball comes back off the bar and the ball is scrambled away, before a Brighton player kicks the ball out for a goal kick. No Oldham player is near him. However, the linesman decides that it is a corner and the referee, having originally thought it was a goal kick, now agrees with him. Quite rightly, the Oldham players go mad. They no full well what a poor decision it is. As the arguing goes on, Brighton take a short corner which is blasted at an Oldham player from point blank range, striking him in the arm. The referee, unbelievably points to the spot. Up until this point, Brighton have done absolutely bugger all. Disgraceful decision.

Five minutes later, Oldham's best defender (the only surviving defender from last season who was fit) then goes off with his leg in a brace, following a Latics striker who has already gone off injured. Oldham then have to switch to a 4-4-2 with a midfielder at right back. Brighton sneak an undeserved second just before half time with a good goal from Leon Knight.

In the second half, Oldham create the far better chances, and unlike the first half, the referee isn't spotting imaginary fouls by Oldham players every 30 seconds. Ben Roberts makes one superb save from Scott Vernon in particular.

Later, a long throw from Brighton is appallingly defended by the inexperienced and weakened Oldham defence and Knight nips in with Brighton's first effort of the half to put them (undeservedly) 3-0 up.

Five minutes later, Oldham get a free-kick on the edge of the box. Danny Boshell has a shot heading towards the corner (although it almost certainly would have been saved) before a Brighton defender dives and literally tips it over the bar. Cast iron penalty the Oldham fans scream, but no, the linesman and referee who were so eagle eyed in the first half spot nothing. DISGRACEFUL.

Oldham get a well deserved late consolation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To cut a long story short the referee's woeful decision to literally gift Brighton a goal changed the game and Oldham can feel VERY hard done by.

Finally, a big thanks to all the Brighton fans who collected money for us. Cheers lads!

Jul 5, 2003
Manchester.
Tough luck.

We had bad luck for to many games to remember last season. Some games you have luck some you dont, Get over it.

3-1 :lolol:

:goal:

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Oh dear. They really do seem a miserable lot ooop north.

You only get what you deserve.
:drink: :drink: :drink:

RockyLatic

Aug 6, 2003
Glorious North (I think)
exactly what I've said RFE but in longer paragraph's.

whats happened to will haining??

:nono: :nono:

Reeves_for_England

Aug 3, 2003
I'm sure that you lot would be saying 'Oh well, it doesn't matter. What goes around comes around'. Not.

Apparently Haining isn't as bad as both feared but both he and Chris Killen have gone to hospital.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Bad reffing has never happened to any team ever before???

And he comes on here thinking what? We donated money. Bloody moaning git.

Sigull

'Arte et Marte'
Jul 16, 2003
Bracklesham Bay
Reeves_for_England said:
I'm sure that you lot would be saying 'Oh well, it doesn't matter. What goes around comes around'. Not.

Damn right pal, we might have stayed up last season if it wasn,t for DODGY DECISIONS, so get used to it, WHAT GOES AROUND BLEEDING WELL DOES COME AROUND:tosser:

Last edited:

Reeves_for_England

Aug 3, 2003
And for your information, we'd have gone up last season if it wasn't for dickhead referees. We missed out by four points. I could give you at least 10 points worth of bullshit that we took off refs last season.

We were cheated today by a disgraceful referee. Fact.

Sigull

'Arte et Marte'
Jul 16, 2003
Bracklesham Bay
We were cheated today by a disgraceful referee. Fact. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ahemmm...you were beaten by a better team...FACT

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Reeves_for_England said:
And for your information, we'd have gone up last season if it wasn't for dickhead referees. We missed out by four points. I could give you at least 10 points worth of bullshit that we took off refs last season.

We were cheated today by a disgraceful referee. Fact.

Do you believe that you would have actually got a result from the game had the referee's decisions been different? 'Cos it sounded like Oldham couldn't hit a barn door on the radio.

;)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I think the referee had a poor match but the poor decisions were equal to each side

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Curious Orange said:
'Cos it sounded like Oldham couldn't hit a barn door on the radio.

;)

True. They only had 1 shot on target all match

RockyLatic

Aug 6, 2003
Glorious North (I think)
lets wait till someone who went to tell their view on the ref

seeing and hearing are two different things!

sore losers?? I dont there's any fan who's team would have lost after that ref today who wouldnt be angry

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
RockyLatic said:

sore losers?? I dont there's any fan who's team would have lost after that ref today who wouldnt be angry

Look at my location Rocky. It only took me 30 minutes to get home !!!

RockyLatic said:

Rocky - have a look at my reply on the other thread - other people seem to agree with it. I'll spell it out :-

WE ARE NOT INTERESTED!

It happens - every team can come up with scores of bad refereeing decisions. The people who might be interested are likely to be on Oldham messageboards. It's not our fault if they are not as good as NSC. :clap2:

Sigull

'Arte et Marte'
Jul 16, 2003
Bracklesham Bay
RockyLatic said:
sore losers?? I dont there's any fan who's team would have lost after that ref today who wouldnt be angry [/B]

Quite possibly if the score differential had been one goal...but come....two shots on goal and one went in..get real???

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
you also seem to have forgotten that we took off both of our strikers to rest them when we were three up....probably would have been worse for you if they'd stayed on...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here