Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Capello left 5 minutes before Bobby scored. :US:

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
If he doesn't get picked for the Egypt game he probably never will.:annoyed: He's kept Fulham from being in a relegation battle this season and fully deserves his chance, i think Capello will definitely name him in the squad - please Fabio!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't think goals against a certain standard of team is a decent yardstick.

Firstly, there are not a great deal of prolific strikers at international level. Not a great deal of strikers have a decent ratio. Discounting Crouch, simply because his goals come against lesser opposition is wrong. Tactics change. Partnerships change.

It is not as if you are able to draw decent conclusions from 20 to 30 games. Club footballers are judged on their performances over 100 odd games. You don't get that chance when playing for your country.

Crouch has proven to be very useful for England in the past and isn't doing too badly at Spurs, is he?

How many strikers are we planning to take? Five?

Who are the shoe ins?

Rooney, Defoe and...?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Firstly, there are not a great deal of prolific strikers at international level. Not a great deal of strikers have a decent ratio. Discounting Crouch, simply because his goals come against lesser opposition is wrong. Tactics change. Partnerships change.

It is not as if you are able to draw decent conclusions from 20 to 30 games. Club footballers are judged on their performances over 100 odd games. You don't get that chance when playing for your country.

Crouch has proven to be very useful for England in the past and isn't doing too badly at Spurs, is he?

Who are the shoe ins?

Rooney, Defoe and...?

Heskey is a shoe in

He is doing OK at spurs.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by

Who are the shoe ins?

Rooney, Defoe and...?

Exactly right about the shoe ins, i don't believe any of the other strikers are shoe ins so it should come down to form and fitness for the rest. Capello needs to give Bob a go this time and see how he links up with Rooney before he picks the 5 he'll take.

I'm not saying he's necessarily better than Crouch, bent or Cole but i certainly don't think he's any worse and the form he's in, if the WC started tomorrow surely we'd have to take him as one fo the 5?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Exactly right about the shoe ins, i don't believe any of the other strikers are shoe ins so it should come down to form and fitness for the rest. Capello needs to give Bob a go this time and see how he links up with Rooney before he picks the 5 he'll take.

I'm not saying he's necessarily better than Crouch, bent or Cole but i certainly don't think he's any worse and the form he's in, if the WC started tomorrow surely we'd have to take him as one fo the 5?

Other than being a Brighton fan why would you take Zamora if the world cup started tomorrow?

If they were 5 he would take

Rooney and Heskey - they got us through
Defoe - scoring for fun international and club
Crouch netted 2 on last start

then one from

Bent has scored 15 league goals, Agbonlahor 11 Cole 9 and has been injured and Zamora 8

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Players that I reckon will be ahead of Zamora:

Rooney
Defoe
Crouch
Heskey
Bent
Agbonlahor
Walcott
Owen

The only way I could see him going is to replace either Heskey or Crouch, so if any of them get badly injured, then I could see it happening.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE for him to go.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Crouch
Heskey
Bent
Agbonlahor
Walcott
Owen

Why ?. Bobby has got 15 goals and as many asissts this season. How many have the other's got especially Owen. I think you are doing Bob a big disservice.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Crouch
Heskey
Bent
Agbonlahor
Walcott
Owen

Why ?. Bobby has got 15 goals and as many asissts this season. How many have the other's got especially Owen. I think you are doing Bob a big disservice.

Crouch has got the same as Zamora 6 asissts
Agbonlahor has got one less and scored more league goals
Bent has got more goals
Walcott Has been crocked till recently, he has to go as he is a better player

Stumpy Tim

Players that I reckon will be ahead of Zamora:

Rooney
Defoe
Crouch
Heskey
Bent
Agbonlahor
Walcott
Owen

The only way I could see him going is to replace either Heskey or Crouch, so if any of them get badly injured, then I could see it happening.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE for him to go.

Bobby isn't competing with Walcott,Owen or Agbonlahor though - he's competing against Crouch & Bent as the backup target man.

Fabio will take Rooney, Heskey & Defoe for sure. He'll also take Walcott as the 5th striker & as a winger. I would suggest he'll take one of Crouch, Bent or Zamora as the backup target man - probably Crouch or Bobby. If I had to put money on it I would say he'll take Crouch unless Bobby stays in this form for the rest of the season & plays well for England in the friendlies.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Bobby isn't competing with Walcott,Owen or Agbonlahor though - he's competing against Crouch & Bent as the backup target man.

Fabio will take Rooney, Heskey & Defoe for sure. He'll also take Walcott as the 5th striker & as a winger. I would suggest he'll take one of Crouch, Bent or Zamora as the backup target man - probably Crouch or Bobby. If I had to put money on it I would say he'll take Crouch unless Bobby stays in this form for the rest of the season & plays well for England in the friendlies.

Crouch has been shit house since Xmas, Bent is not a target man

Stumpy Tim

Crouch has got the same as Zamora 6 asissts
Agbonlahor has got one less and scored more league goals
Bent has got more goals
Walcott Has been crocked till recently, he has to go as he is a better player

Bent apart, you're talking about teams in the shake-up for the top-four... obviously you'll get more goals & assists in those teams.

Bent won't go - he freezes when he plays for England, which is a shame as he's an excellent player

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Bent apart, you're talking about teams in the shake-up for the top-four... obviously you'll get more goals & assists in those teams.

Bent won't go - he freezes when he plays for England, which is a shame as he's an excellent player

Really? Having seen Bent play for two season he is rubbish.... At Spurs he was lazy and quite a stupid player.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Really? Having seen Bent play for two season he is rubbish.... At Spurs he was lazy and quite a stupid player.

I saw him score a hattrick and have another disallowed in the EUFA Cup against Dinamo Zagreb last season, he was anything other than stupid and lazy that night. :thumbsup:

I just think he was the latest in a long line of strikers misused by Tottenham. They signed Zamora without ever really needing him/wanting him. Same with players like Pavyluchenko, who just added numbers to a squad which didn't need them. Clubs like Spurs don't need 4 strikers, 3 is enough with a half decent young player to come in if there is a crisis. Man Utd won the treble in 1999 with 4 strikers, but they played how many games that season? 60? They needed that number, clubs like Spurs don't. That's not me having a go at Spurs, that's me being realistic. If you sign 4 strikers, and have that many good players in the squad then it's only ever going to lead to problems. It resulted in Defoe leaving before, and Keane this time.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
He is very stupid. Play him along side a Keane or Berba he will never read anything.
I agree about the 3 strikers by the way

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here