Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zamora, again

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Capello definately left before the goal, they showed Bobby celebrating then zoomed in on where Capello had been sitting to see an empty seat.

He was already off down the tunnel to get Bobby's autograph.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Worth a start against Egypt surely? We all know what Heskey brings to the team. Bent's had a few chances and not impressed, Crouch always scores against the smaller teams but struggles against the better ones. I say give bobby 90mins and see how he works with Rooney.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm really not sure why Alan Hansen is so adamant that Zamora is not worth a look. It's odd, I'm fairly sure Hansen never said anything when Carlton Palmer and Geoff Thomas were playing for the country. ???

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Not a chance, can you really see his form dipping from a potential England international to a mid to bottom of the table Championship team (if we are lucky) in the space of 18 months? Plus I cannot see his value dipping below 3 million in that time either. He is banging them in in the Premiership, he is banging them in in Europe, his next move will not be down to us, if anything I could see Liverpool making a move, especially if they finish out of the top four.

As for the comments as to why people keep talking about him as he is a Fulham player. The way I see it is we benefitted from Zamora being here and he benefitted from being here. I never recall him thinking he was too big for the club and the club never stood in his way when the chance came for him to progress. This is the big difference between him and say Harding. One is a true pro who nobody on here wishes ill of (remember the chants at West Ham "we love bobby more than you", that says it all), the other was out to get all he could screwing over anyone in his way. Im not saying Zamora isnt in it for the cash but he acts the professional when he does it if he does.

If we could find another consistant 25 goal a season striker for the same money we paid for him we would not be sitting at the arse end of the table and probably at the other end beating Leeds and Norwich

Nail Head.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'm really not sure why Alan Hansen is so adamant that Zamora is not worth a look. It's odd, I'm fairly sure Hansen never said anything when Carlton Palmer and Geoff Thomas were playing for the country. ???

Hansen has been a mate of Lawrenceson for too long.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hansen has been a mate of Lawrenceson for too long.
But Lawrenson is alright. Didn't everyone agree that this airbrushing of Albion from his career ws a NSC-peddled myth?

Hansen literally seems to cringe whenever he sees Zamora have a good game, in anticipation of the dreaded question. It's really odd. And it's surely no coincidence that Fulham are up and running after their bad patch, which coincided with Zamora's injury...

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Hansen is Scottish so he can f*** right off.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Hansen only watches Premier League football and internationals - so for him, Zamora is someone who didn't cut it at Spurs (though he never got a proper chance) and was inconsistent at yo-yo club West Ham.

Probably like a lot of people on here, I almost doubted my own sanity at times telling all these Prem fans that he was decent. You ran up against this argument of 'he only got goals in the bottom two divisions'. But if you were there, and saw those Brighton goals, you knew a lot of them were nothing to do with the defenders, they were pace, power and skill, first-time finishes, and he was also unselfish when the occasion demanded, setting up as many as he scored.

I'm still not sure he's England class, but if you want a 5th striker/target man with something different, I'd take him above Heskey, Carlton Cole or Kevin Davies because he can do what they do and more besides, eg yesterday's free-kick.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hansen only watches Premier League football and internationals - so for him, Zamora is someone who didn't cut it at Spurs (though he never got a proper chance) and was inconsistent at yo-yo club West Ham.

Probably like a lot of people on here, I almost doubted my own sanity at times telling all these Prem fans that he was decent. You ran up against this argument of 'he only got goals in the bottom two divisions'. But if you were there, and saw those Brighton goals, you knew a lot of them were nothing to do with the defenders, they were pace, power and skill, first-time finishes, and he was also unselfish when the occasion demanded, setting up as many as he scored.

I'm still not sure he's England class, but if you want a 5th striker/target man with something different, I'd take him above Heskey, Carlton Cole or Kevin Davies because he can do what they do and more besides, eg yesterday's free-kick.
Pretty much agreed on all of that, except I think you're being harsh on Heskey who remains a superb target man, certainly better than Zamora in that role.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I guess so. Ward couldn't hack it in the top division.

Don't agree,He scored quite a few goals in a struggling Albion team in the top flight.I remember them well!
He was then grossly mismanaged by Clough,got pissed off went to USA and that was that.It is always very hard to compare players of different generations and we've had this discussion a hundred times before,but I reckon that if there was a time machine and Wardy was playing now and was managed and trained by a top coach, he would be a revelation.That is not to take anything away from Bobby....I hope he goes to the World Cup and I reckon he might do as the 'surprise' pick!

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks

What he said.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
There is always a surprise player who comes up on the rails and grasps the chance at the big tournaments, lets hope it's Zamora.
Indeed. Everyone knows about 1966, Geoff Hurst, hattrick in the final, yada yada yada - but not many know that Hurst only made his England debut in February 1966, i.e. at precisely this stage in the build-up. I'm not saying that Zamora will be the surprise player (or if indeed there will be), but don't write it off.

Also for the final Hurst was picked instead of the vastly more talented Jimmy Greaves because Hurst fitted Ramsey's system better (a bit like Heskey being picked now ahead of someone like Defoe). Could Zamora play the Heskey role?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Heskey is a shoe in.

IF he is being considered its between him and Cole, Didnt Cole do quite well in his last England game?

When is squad named?

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
I read yesterday something that I forgot until now, the provisional squad for the World Cup will be 35 man. Surely that means you're gonna have at least 7 strikers in a squad that size? The shoes ins for a 35 man squad are Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Bent and Cole, after that Zamora has surely got to be next in line?

On that basis there's no point bringing someone into a WC squad in May having not been involved in any other squad before so i would think Capello will pick him for the next squad, even if he doesn't play him. He'll be able to tell in traning how well he'll link up with Rooney. Be surprised if he was there yesterday to look at anyone other than Bobby

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
i would pick king bob over crouch, bent and cole. everyday of the week. him and rooney would play really well together i reckon, nice little partnership.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
i would pick king bob over crouch, bent and cole. everyday of the week. him and rooney would play really well together i reckon, nice little partnership.

Hmmm on what basis do you claim that? Whilst I dont really rate Crouch his goal record for England is impressive.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Against people like Estonia, yes it is, against anyone decent it's average at best

I agree with that if we're looking at Goals only (not performances as cant rememebr!), he does need to score against better opposition at Senior level. According to this Peter Crouch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia the Ukraine & Croatia are the only Big names in that list he's scored against.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here