Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your most hated Mispronounced/Misused word?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
All 3 of my kids say this and have for years even though I correct them everytime;

"I writ this today" ... "WROTE not WRIT!"

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Half the people at my work seem incapable of pronouncing the word "schedule" correctly :rant:

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I can't be bothered to read through all 11 pages to see if its been mentioned but my big one is using your instead of you'll. It seems to be more and more common especially on Facebook and Twitter.

for example:-

Do you think your be able to make it?

Its you'll as in you will.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Ita also pisses me off when teams whose names clearly dont fit use that chant

BUR-NE-LEY, BUR-NE-LEY, BUR-NE-LEY

:facepalm:

Edit: Also, BARN-SE-LEY, BARN-SE-LEY, BARN-SE-LEY

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
No, it's not.

"Hoist" is the past participle of the verb "to hoise", which means the same as "to hoist": to lift.

You'll find the verb used in the past tense - "they ... hoised up the mainsail" - in the King James version of the Bible - Acts 27:40.

Well yes it is actually. The expression is 'was Hoist...' 'Was' is clearly in the past.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
I am sure these might have been covered already, but these are some of my peeves.

Incorrect usage of: their, there and they're; your, you're; its, it's; affect and effect.
People that use loose(r) rather than lose(r)
Those that use i.e., when they actually mean e.g., and visa versa
The incorrect use of the word 'literally'. Although it seems to have become accepted. But if you mean figuratively, then say so.

Other than this I am pretty easy going.

Well yes it is actually. The expression is 'was Hoist...' 'Was' is clearly in the past.
"Was hoist" uses "hoist" as a past participle - which is what I said. For a verb to be used in the past tense certainly requires the action to have occurred in the past, but the verb you are quoting is "was" (which is the past tense of "to be"), not the participle, "hoist".

The expression I was discussing was "For 'tis the sport to have the enginer Hoist with his owne petar" - where the main verb phrase is " 'tis" - present tense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here