Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your most hated Mispronounced/Misused word?

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Use of the word 'Till'

I won't be there till 12 O'Clock.

A 'till' is a machine with cash in it. You won't be there 'til 12 O'Clock.

'til being an abbreviation of 'until'

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
of

As in should have.

As seen on NSC.

I don't see why NSC doesn't auto-correct all the 'should of's and 'would of's. It could of prevented a lot of threads turning into spelling and grammar, to the annoyance of the OP.

Also, at what point did 'of' become 'ov'?

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
The misuse of 'reactionary' instead of 'reactive'.

Reactionary means wishing to return to the past, not reacting to something.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Woman in my workplace who continually says pacific for specific. Very annoying once you notice it.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
As a nation, we are getting lazier and lazier with our language. Any shortcut is greedily absorbed and quickly becomes everyday usage. The growth of ' Estuary English ' has spread throughout the Country and is highlighted by the use of the letters ' d ' and ' f ' instead of ' th '. ' Other ' becomes ' Udder, thought/fort, think/fink etc. You even here some people saying ' der ' instead of ' the '.
It is also fashionable to mix in a bit of slight ' mid-Atlantic ' accent. Frank Warren, the boxing promoter, is a prime example of this.
Eastenders takes a lot of the blame with all the young actors deliberately dropping their ' th's ' to try and sound cockney. ' Fink ' and ' Fort ' crop up all the time. It sounds forced and painfully unnatural but young kids growing up will copy it unless they have strong parental guidance. Whichever voice coach or scriptwriter is influencing the cast in this way has got it all wrong. Cockney is not all about dropping your ' aitches ' it is about a way of speaking. Out the corner of your mouth, in a sort of confidential whisper.
It seems it is too much bother now for a lot of people to stick their tongue between their teeth and pronounce words properly.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
As a nation, we are getting lazier and lazier with our language. Any shortcut is greedily absorbed and quickly becomes everyday usage. The growth of ' Estuary English ' has spread throughout the Country and is highlighted by the use of the letters ' d ' and ' f ' instead of ' th '. ' Other ' becomes ' Udder, thought/fort, think/fink etc. You even here some people saying ' der ' instead of ' the '.
It is also fashionable to mix in a bit of slight ' mid-Atlantic ' accent. Frank Warren, the boxing promoter, is a prime example of this.
Eastenders takes a lot of the blame with all the young actors deliberately dropping their ' th's ' to try and sound cockney. ' Fink ' and ' Fort ' crop up all the time. It sounds forced and painfully unnatural but young kids growing up will copy it unless they have strong parental guidance. Whichever voice coach or scriptwriter is influencing the cast in this way has got it all wrong. Cockney is not all about dropping your ' aitches ' it is about a way of speaking. Out the corner of your mouth, in a sort of confidential whisper.
It seems it is too much bother now for a lot of people to stick their tongue between their teeth and pronounce words properly.

Dis, innit.

Oops, sorry... I meant "this".

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
the use of "off" when it should be "from" - as in "I got it off the internet" when it should be "I got it from the internet"

and also the use of "regularly" when people mean "frequently" - as in "he regularly scores goals from that position" (no he doesn't, unless he scores from the same place at the same time every match) it should be "he frequently scores goals from that position"

Can we stray into the world of malt whisky (without an "e", by the way)?

When ordering at the bar, the correct form of words is "I'd like a The Macallan", not "I'd like a Macallan".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here