Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your most hated Mispronounced/Misused word?

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
My dad and 3 of my mates used to call Nicky Forster ... Nicky Forrester. Annoyed the f*** out of me

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Probably been mentioned before, but...

'Alot' instead of 'a lot'
'Defiantly' instead of 'definitely'
'should of' insead of 'should have'

Football related - when Pompey sing "And it's Portsmouth City, Portsmouth City FC, we're by far the greatest team the world has ever seen" *cringe*

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I thought it was something to do with General 'Stonewall' Jackson, but after googling it, I'm none the wiser. I quite like the term though, the way it seems to mean nothing but we all know what is meant by it.

i think it came from 'stone cold,' a phrase meaning solid/certain, as it used to be said that something was a 'stone cold penalty'. It sounds like a Ron Atkinson misuse of the English language. The misuse was repeated enough times that it gained currency.

Linguists study language. People who study pronunciation are called orthoepists, please learn this word. Tomorrow's lesson will focus on the phrase "hoisted by your own petard".
Hoist, shirley?

"For 'tis the sport to have the enginer Hoist with his owne petar" - Hamlet, Act III, Scene iv (1602 version).

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Is there a country or state where the word 'analyst' is commonly pronounced 'anal-list'?

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Probably been mentioned before, but...

'Alot' instead of 'a lot'
'Defiantly' instead of 'definitely'
'should of' insead of 'should have'

Football related - when Pompey sing "And it's Portsmouth City, Portsmouth City FC, we're by far the greatest team the world has ever seen" *cringe*

Yep, ridiculous. Must be a Hampshitre thing. "and it's Ohhhhh Southampton, Ohhhhh Southampton FC"

No. No it isn't.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
When people mean to say 'Palace' but for some reason it comes out of their mouth as 'sh!te'. Not that it annoys me of course.

'You know' was always my pet hate, used excessively by semi literate footballers trying to explain their inadequate match performance.

TNBA

TTF

In the quote and common useage, 'hoist' is in the past tense already.
No, it's not.

"Hoist" is the past participle of the verb "to hoise", which means the same as "to hoist": to lift.

You'll find the verb used in the past tense - "they ... hoised up the mainsail" - in the King James version of the Bible - Acts 27:40.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I quite enjoy the mis-use and confusion between appraise and apprise. I like to feign confusion when people ask me to "Keep them appraised on progress"...

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
A lot of black people tend to say "arks" instead of ask.
Certain elements in the youth of today have started copying this, it really annoys me !!!

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton

Ha ha, I pedantically nudged the girlfriend at that point and said 'I think you'll find that was the Brazil team of 1970, NOT Portsmouth.'

Oh, how we chuckled at that one, let me tell you!

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Effect, Affect.

"That might end up effecting us!"

"That certainly had the right affect!"

Josimojo

Aug 4, 2011
"I turned round and said..., then they turned round and said..."

Just conjures a dizzying image in my head, "do you know what I mean?"

The Large One

Who's Next?