Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your favourite FIVE bands ever

The WHO - the 'Oo were just 'Orrible. I didn't even consider them as The WHO in the afterMoon.

The Yardbirds - Great band, whichever and whoever pulled the six lead strings. Beck remains the best of the best ever since though. Zep were merely a tribute band after them.

Magazine - Devoto's wordmanship and brilliant musicians behind him, punk made sophisticated.

Simple Minds - before they U2'd themselves to death, they were the best. New wave, get thee behind them.

Porcupine Tree - Prog rock lives, without pretentious glam or 'big hair' image. Well constructed music, harmonies to scare the Beach Boys, heavy enough to stir the testosterone without being boring riffers. Check them out on their myspace page.

Elegia

Jan 4, 2007
1. New Order
2. Joy Division
3. The Stone Roses
4. The Wedding Present
5. Ian Brown

Of the Artist/Band's i've SEEN:

Dr Feelgood

Rory Gallagher

Rory (sniff), makes me want to go to Ireland and Cork especially, to visit his stomping ground. I understand there's a tribute band/artist that gig there paying homage to him, and a pub dedicated to his memory.

Incidentally, re Feelgoods - Wilko is playing the Half-Brick in a few days I believe. Might be worth a punt, and esp. if he plays 'She Does It Right'. I saw them previous to their debut LP at The Greyhound in Richmond - astounding, hot and sweaty, and blueswailin' like early Stones/Downliners/Yardbirds style. Unforgettable.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
The Yardbirds - Great band, whichever and whoever pulled the six lead strings. Beck remains the best of the best ever since though. Zep were merely a tribute band after them.

FFS! Are you having a bubble? How can you possibly compare The Yardbirds with what The Zep produced (especially after the first 2 albums)?? Get a grip!!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
You said Zep were merely a "tribute band" so I hope you'll understand why I came to the conclusion I did (bearing in mind I personally think Led Zeppelin are without peers). I can see the alternative take on what you said (finally), so I apologise for grabbing the wrong end of the stick & getting all hot & bothered. I just get very passionate sometimes!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Clash
Oasis
Feeder
Green Day
The Jam

notable mention - Arctic Monkeys , Stereophonics , Manic Street Preachers,Libertines,Rifles, Nirvana

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Dylan
Crosby Stills Nash and Young
Ezio
Van Morrison
Stones pre 1975

Steve Stills plays the Brighton Centre on 10 Oct for anyone interested in seeing someone from the Woodstock generation

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Nick Cave "and chums" (i.e I'm having The Boys Next Door, The Birthday Party, The Bad Seeds and Grinderman all as one choice)
Sonic Youth
The Ramones
Echo & the Bunnymen
Gang of Four

It's hard to leave the Clash and JD off the list, but I can't see who there would give way for them.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Stranglers
Thin Lizzy
Jean Michel Jarre

I'll get abck to you on the other 2 but those 3 are my favourites during my life time.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Super Furry Animals - best pop band ever.
The Prodigy - everything up to and including Fat of the Land was quite simply BRILLIANT
Wu Tang Clan - monsters of hip hop
Leftfield - they wouldn't normally make this list but I listened to Leftism last weekend and decided it's the best album of it's kind
Buddy Holly - genius

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Guns n Roses

Killers

Elvis

Bon Jovi

Garth Brooks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here