Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your favourite FIVE bands ever

challengechappers

Sep 14, 2005
for me:

top 3 are easy, in priority order:

1- Neil Young
2- The Beach Boys (incl Brian Wilson solo, particularly, his self titled album from '88)
3- Verve (up to '95 only though)

gets harder after that, probably, in no order:

- Jeff Buckley (wish i'd known about him when i went to Glastonbury '95)
- can't get enough of current faves The Felice Brothers

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Rory (sniff), makes me want to go to Ireland and Cork especially, to visit his stomping ground. I understand there's a tribute band/artist that gig there paying homage to him, and a pub dedicated to his memory.

Incidentally, re Feelgoods - Wilko is playing the Half-Brick in a few days I believe. Might be worth a punt, and esp. if he plays 'She Does It Right'. I saw them previous to their debut LP at The Greyhound in Richmond - astounding, hot and sweaty, and blueswailin' like early Stones/Downliners/Yardbirds style. Unforgettable.

Seen Wilko Johnson a few times - he often visits The Brook in Southampton when he tours.

Genius guitarist.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I can't do FİVE! It's not enough.

But biggest influebce at different times would be..

Japan
Simple Minds (but not after Streetfighting Years)
The Levellers
Madness
The Muttonbirds

Feeder should also be there...

But could also add:
Matchbox 20, Gin Blossoms, Big Country, Sister Hazel, Crowded House, Jam, Joe Jackson, Talk Talk, the Fixx, very early Cure, Paul Kelly

Currently big on MP3:

3doors down, 3 days grace, fuel, springsteen, hall and oates, feeder, fuel, the whitlams, the enemy, perishers, hoobastank

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
British Sea Power
Joy Division/New Order
The Smiths
Sex Pistols
Radiohead

...and the Velvet Underground

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
This sounds easy on the face of it, but when you start thinking it gets really difficult, so I will go for bands who I am always happy to listen to and never tire of...but they are also ones that made a massive impact on my musical tastes and views of life...they are:

1. The Pogues - Remember the first time I heard them on the John Peel show, was hooked completely, first track I heard was the dark streets of London which I still consider to be complete genius.

2. Prefab Sprout - Hard to put my finger on the reasons why, but their album Steve McQueen is probably my all time favourite or at least very close.

3. The Specials (AKA, Special AKA) - The song about freeing Nelson Mandela made me realise how wrong Appartheid was, also the stupidity of descriminating on the grounds of colour, race or ideology.

4. The Who - Who were they, who are you, who was better...who cares, they were quite simply brilliant.

5. The Bundhu Boys - Andy Kershaw may have been fighting the demons in the last few years but he introduced me to the magical sounds of this group from the dark continent and single handedly tought me to understand that it is a wonderful thing to be curious about the music of cultures outside our own. I believe that most of the band members have now succombed to the ravages of AIDS, very sad indeed.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
This sounds easy on the face of it, but when you start thinking it gets really difficult, so I will go for bands who I am always happy to listen to and never tire of...but they are also ones that made a massive impact on my musical tastes and views of life...they are:

1. The Pogues - Remember the first time I heard them on the John Peel show, was hooked completely, first track I heard was the dark streets of London which I still consider to be complete genius.

2. Prefab Sprout - Hard to put my finger on the reasons why, but their album Steve McQueen is probably my all time favourite or at least very close.

3. The Specials (AKA, Special AKA) - The song about freeing Nelson Mandela made me realise how wrong Appartheid was, also the stupidity of descriminating on the grounds of colour, race or ideology.

4. The Who - Who were they, who are you, who was better...who cares, they were quite simply brilliant.

5. The Bundhu Boys - Andy Kershaw may have been fighting the demons in the last few years but he introduced me to the magical sounds of this group from the dark continent and single handedly tought me to understand that it is a wonderful thing to be curious about the music of cultures outside our own. I believe that most of the band members have now succombed to the ravages of AIDS, very sad indeed.

FORGOT Prefab in mine... Steve McQueen and Swoon are classics!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I could easily have included;

The Wedding Present, Orange Juice, McCarthy, REM, Sugarcubes, Bjork, Nick Cave, and loads more. It is HARD.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Mine isn't. But that's because you mentioned Bjork.

Beautiful woman.

bjork.jpg

040828_Bjork_vl.widec.jpg

bjork_narrowweb__300x6110.jpg

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Green Day - Can't really think of anything they've done I haven't at least liked.
Feeder - A band that just don't know how to make bad tunes.
Little Feat - Always a cult band but unique in style.
Lynyrd Skyynyrd - The epitome of a rock band.
Bowling for Soup - Write great tunes, always make funny videos, look like they really love their work.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Classic thread! Someone put Feeder in their top five bands. The guy who put Stereophonics in there could only have lived near Haywards Heath.

The correct answer is:

A Tribe Called Quest
MF Doom
Dresden Dolls
Neutral Milk Hotel
Pharcyde

Outstanding Contribution awards go to Reverend Glasseye And His Wooden Leg, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and World Inferno Friendship Society.

For all you Nick Cave fans - Grinderman are playing a semi-secret (well, most people don't know about it) gig at the King Alfred on the 2nd of July.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Classic thread! Someone put Feeder in their top five bands. The guy who put Stereophonics in there could only have lived near Haywards Heath.

The correct answer is:

A Tribe Called Quest
MF Doom
Dresden Dolls
Neutral Milk Hotel
Pharcyde

Outstanding Contribution awards go to Reverend Glasseye And His Wooden Leg, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and World Inferno Friendship Society.

For all you Nick Cave fans - Grinderman are playing a semi-secret (well, most people don't know about it) gig at the King Alfred on the 2nd of July.

Who the bloody hell are that lot, never heard of any of them :thud:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Any band that calls themselves Neutral Milk Hotel must be shit surely ?.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here