Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your best away game as an albion fan

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
27th March 1976...Hereford v Brighton...top of the table clash. ( Div. 3 )
Travelled by train and met an old school friend, who told me that he'd heard that Fred Binney ( 27 goals that season !!! ) was being dropped and replaced by a young player from the reserves called Peter Ward.
I was shocked but friend said he had seen Ward play and he was brilliant ( quick and skillful )
After about 6 pints of local ale, we made our way to the ground, to be greeted by the sight of a rather disgruntled Binney standing outside.I should have read the signs but I carried on regardless and asked him why he wasn't playing...the reply was unprintable !
The rest is history..Wardy scored with his first touch in 50 seconds...and the legend was born.
I was so impressed that I went to Rotherham, next game, spent the whole journey telling my travelling companions how good this boy was and what did Wardy do...I'll tell you what he did...dribbled round 3 men and scored in the 1st 10 minutes.
Enough eulogising...there have been bigger games..Newcastle,Liverpool,Hereford 97...its just the impact this young player made that I still remember to this day.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Liverpool 1-2 Brighton. FA Cup Feb 1983. Sat in the Kemlyn Road Stand (now called something else). I was 16 and travelled up in coach organised by Haywards Heath Post Office (I think). So many great days since then though. Was anyone else at Brentford in the FA Cup when Nelson scored 'that' goal? Cant remember the year but I still haven't seen a better live goal. We won 2-0 or was it 2-1.

portlander

Jul 16, 2003
Portland, Maine, USA
cheshunt seagull

Another nod from me for this one. Remains the best game I've ever seen, despite the fact that only one goal was scored. End to end stuff from first whistle to last. The Seagull Specials were always incredible days out!
Posts: 962 An unusual one. Blackburn 0 Brighton 1 April 78. Both sides needed a win to stay in the promotion race and threw everything into attack from the kick-off. Could have ended 8-8 but entering the last 5 minutes it was still 0-0 when Eric Potts slid in the winner in front of the small but noisy Albion contingent who had travelled up on the Seagull Special. One of the most exciting games I have ever seen and it set up a memorable visit from Spurs the following Saturday.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Get this....

.... travelled up in coach organised by Haywards Heath Post Office (I think).........

I was on that coach !

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
God, so many.

My all-time favourite Brighton performance anywhere, anytime was the 2-0 win at the Hawthorns in the League Cup in '76. West Brom had just gone up with Johnny Giles as manager, were playing decent football and doing well; I think they beat Manure 4-0 either the weekend before or the weekend after we won there. We played them off the park; if we didn't already know, by the end of the evening we knew that Wardy was a superstar as he absolutely destroyed them. Willie Johnston was sent off for aiming a kick at someone (can't remember who) and missing. Took two specials worth and goodness knows how many other fans. A great night and the prelude to seven years of magic.

That is my favourite too.:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here