Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your best away game as an albion fan

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
not strictly an league away game, but did anyone else go to Belgium for the pre-season friendly in the 70's....seem to remember Standard Liege as one game?

I seem to recall Ernest was there amongst others

Anybody remember Sheff Utd away around 1990 ? We lost 5-4

Yes I went there that day, even though we lost the game it was a fantastic advert for football.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Nottingham (reigning European Cup Holders) 0, Brighton and Hove Albion 1
Liverpool (had been beaten in any cup competition at home since 1973) 1, Brighton and Hove Albion 2
Newcastle 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 3. (Last time any club took 10,000 to St James Park).

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
I am only 18, so:

Sheff United 1-2 Brighton (Leon Knight in the 93rd minute:))

Spunk Bubble

Feb 21, 2007
Not been to many but my first was great. Aldershot 1 Brighton 4. 1987-88 season. Shit ground but we tore them to shreds that day.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
God, so many.

My all-time favourite Brighton performance anywhere, anytime was the 2-0 win at the Hawthorns in the League Cup in '76. West Brom had just gone up with Johnny Giles as manager, were playing decent football and doing well; I think they beat Manure 4-0 either the weekend before or the weekend after we won there. We played them off the park; if we didn't already know, by the end of the evening we knew that Wardy was a superstar as he absolutely destroyed them. Willie Johnston was sent off for aiming a kick at someone (can't remember who) and missing. Took two specials worth and goodness knows how many other fans. A great night and the prelude to seven years of magic.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Peterborough 0-1 Brighton & HA - When Zamora scored with not long left to all but guarentee promotion. Felt like we had half the attendance that day, was it 3000 travelling fans? Seem to recall OGH breaking his leg that day aswell.

Norwich 0-1 Brighton & HA - Totally outplayed for 75 minutes of the match, only a VERY brief spell did we get anywhere near their goal, and STEVE SIDWELL scored a superb volley to give us all three points on Boxing Day 2002.

So many decent ones spring to mind but unfortunately those are the only two I can really put into words at the moment.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
An unusual one. Blackburn 0 Brighton 1 April 78. Both sides needed a win to stay in the promotion race and threw everything into attack from the kick-off. Could have ended 8-8 but entering the last 5 minutes it was still 0-0 when Eric Potts slid in the winner in front of the small but noisy Albion contingent who had travelled up on the Seagull Special. One of the most exciting games I have ever seen and it set up a memorable visit from Spurs the following Saturday.

tim warneford

Mar 3, 2009
Lancaster
how can anything compare to Hereford? the stakes could not have been higher with the fixture list responsible for such a do or die final game of the season! had we dropped god only knows where we would be now!!! ok the technical level on display was pretty poor but whilst i would say that newcastle in '79 was special and the glory wonderful i think our survival was even more important.

Jan 30, 2008
An unusual one. Blackburn 0 Brighton 1 April 78. Both sides needed a win to stay in the promotion race and threw everything into attack from the kick-off. Could have ended 8-8 but entering the last 5 minutes it was still 0-0 when Eric Potts slid in the winner in front of the small but noisy Albion contingent who had travelled up on the Seagull Special. One of the most exciting games I have ever seen and it set up a memorable visit from Spurs the following Saturday.
:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here