Votes: 137 85.1%

• Total voters

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
No Show?

I may be wrong (unlikely after tonite....I started the thread after all :laugh:), but it seems Joe was due to be on the Radio 1 chart show, but didn't show up!

If correct he was badly advised and Mr Cowell has a serious case of sour grapes!:lolol:

Seagull Stew

Cue Simon Cowell saying something like, "Well we all know that Joe's song is the REAL Christmas Number One!" :laugh:

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
But if a facebook group tells you to you will....

Not as simple as that though is it? This proved that for anything to remotely compete against Cowells Media Machine someone has to organise a campaign. Without something like Facebook and the press picking up on it there's no way any new single by any band will get to xmas no1 all the time we live in times of Xfactor.

This is just a victory for fans of proper music, not singing contests

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
A victory for fans of proper music?

Sorry I can not let that pass, RATM might play their own instruments but they are backed by a mega multinational company in sonybmg. The music industry is a closed shop owned and controlled by 5 or 6 major companies who not only control the media but the press and radio too. Rage are a cog in that wheel wether they play their own instruments or not. Their lyrics are 6th form revoltionary fodder and are as radical as Pink.

How about getting an unknown band on a small independant to number 1 or even just release three minutes of sheer white noise. Both of these would have been a far more legitimate form of protest if protest was what it was about.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I just find it funny!

Predictably all the music bores turn up, pushing their glasses back up to the top of their nose, "er, actually, i think you'll find that the song we should have chosen is Gerard Wobletts singing scream and death"

An amazing piece in the Star this week where it said there was going to be 'a lot of red faces when this gets out' in regard to the fact RATM are signed to Sony like it was some sort of trade secret that only Simon Cowell knew about.

Really, cant everbody just enjoy the fact that some characterless little twat that won a karaoke contest hasnt been presented to you by SC saying 'here you are, your christmas number 1'.

I voted for Stacey, purely because she makes me laugh every time she opens her mouth. I would rather be entertained by someone that is clearly on a different planet to me than buy some earnest dirge from a group that someone else has decided to promote in a "buy me because I am alternative" internet campaign. The sort of people who buy X Factor shite are not the same people who will buy RATM.

I voted for Stacey too. Crackers & sweet, good voice too

Anything that winds Mr Cowell up is fine by me, although it is questionable how "alternative" RATM actually are. I think that this should be the start of a fine English tradtion - "get something unlikely as Christmas no 1 to annoy Simon Cowell"

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
He must be gutted. Considering that he works for Sony, and his own Syco label comes under their umbrella, as does RATMs label, all that has happened is that Facebook sheep have put twice as much money in his pocket! He is still pissing himself laughing at being able to manipulate the record buying idiots. It would have worked if it had come from a truly independent band, but people didn't do their homework!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
He must be gutted. Considering that he works for Sony, and his own Syco label comes under their umbrella, as does RATMs label, all that has happened is that Facebook sheep have put twice as much money in his pocket! He is still pissing himself laughing at being able to manipulate the record buying idiots. It would have worked if it had come from a truly independent band, but people didn't do their homework!

It was about stopping an X-Factor #1, not about anyone making/losing money.

A few hundred grand either way is not going to bother Cowell. Everyone knows that.

Seagull Stew

Another person who misses the point in a quite spectacular but typical fashion.

Firstly, just because someone works for an umbrella company of a larger organisation, does not necessarily mean that they share in the profits of the organisation, especially when money has been raised from one of it's other umbrella companies.

Secondly, the choice of song has nothing to do with the label of the band performing it. It is a protest song, that was chosen (rightly or wrongly) to prevent another X-factor single from becoming the Christmas number one. This it has succeeded to do.

Thirdly, even if Sony are the overall financial winners out of this, so what? You're forgetting that other organisations have also done well out of contest. I-tunes, play, hmv and other downlaod sites have........(now wait for this revelation)..........had BOTH songs available for purchase!!! Crikey, are people hypocrites for adding to the coffers of these companies too? Maybe they should have only downloaded from sites that did not also sell the X-factor single.

Personally, as a music fan, I am happy that this has happened as, if nothing else, it has raised debate on the whole subject of HOW success is gained in the music industry and whether having radio stations full of cover songs from plastic karaoke singers is a way of ensuring that music continues to evolve and creativity is encouraged.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think all that matters is what happens NOW? Or NEXT Christmas, rather? What are "the people" going to do with the voting power they've shown this year is possible?

Chances are it'll just be X Factor at number one again, and if so, the whole thing has been a complete waste of time, no? Hope this campaign does change something, but not holding my breath.

Last edited:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The reaction of some on here is laughable. Sony make the money on the RATM tune not Cowell, and who cares anyway, its hardly millions is it, one weeks single sales is small fry in this day and age. Sony music need the money anyway.

The credible thing is it breaks the monotony of X Factor always getting the Xmas number 1 by default. It could have gone on for years and years and it is dull as dishwater.

Next year I propose Beastie Boys - Sabotage.

Oct 25, 2003
I think all that matters is what happens NOW? Or NEXT Christmas, rather? What are "the people" going to do with the voting power they've shown this year is possible?

Chances are it'll just be X Factor at number one again, and if so, the whole thing has been a complete waste of time, no? Hope this campaign does change something, but not holding my breath.

i'm gonna start a campaign to get a song to EASTER number 1

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here