• Stacey (OMG) Jones?

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Rage Against the Machine

Votes: 137 85.1%

• Total voters

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Amazing some of the pontification on here.

Like a lot of people I find it quite funny. Not hilarious, no, but a good little story for this year. If it happens every year, yeah it'll be monotonous, but this time round deserves a 'well done'.

Most amazing thing for me is what you can do with the internet. Have an idea, stick it out there and if it captures people's imagination watch it go. On a lesser scale, bit like Fans United.

I like the comments from people suggesting that people who also liked the idea are facebook 'sheep' or are being told to what to buy by a facebook group. As if by hearing about it, liking it, thinking they'd like to take a small part in it themselves makes them some kind of unthinking consumer automaton.

I doubt Simon Cowell really gives a shit that x-factor didn't make number 1. I would have thought that people like him though hate the idea that things can happen in this way, word of mouth, ordinary people spreading the word without huge advertising campaigns, bypassing old media, before they all play catch up and spread the word even more.

I couldn't give a flying toss what was at number 1 on Dec 25th but I enjoy seeing things like this happen.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Amazing some of the pontification on here.

Like a lot of people I find it quite funny. Not hilarious, no, but a good little story for this year. If it happens every year, yeah it'll be monotonous, but this time round deserves a 'well done'.

Most amazing thing for me is what you can do with the internet. Have an idea, stick it out there and if it captures people's imagination watch it go. On a lesser scale, bit like Fans United.

I like the comments from people suggesting that people who also liked the idea are facebook 'sheep' or are being told to what to buy by a facebook group. As if by hearing about it, liking it, thinking they'd like to take a small part in it themselves makes them some kind of unthinking consumer automaton.

I doubt Simon Cowell really gives a shit that x-factor didn't make number 1. I would have thought that people like him though hate the idea that things can happen in this way, word of mouth, ordinary people spreading the word without huge advertising campaigns, bypassing old media, before they all play catch up and spread the word even more.

I couldn't give a flying toss what was at number 1 on Dec 25th but I enjoy seeing things like this happen.

It's funny I agree, but I've been a bit bored over the last week hearing (like today) - it's a "victory for music" and the start of some kind of new social movement against the sort of music Cowell produces.

On that front it's quite obviously failed.More people would have downloaded the other track and the resulting phoney war has Cowell laughing all the way to the bank.

Unfortunately, I can see little anarchy in downloading a different track from the same record company and Cowell can quite annoyingly sit back and suggest he is the savour of the record industry, because his artists have increased awareness and the bank balance of another.

Well done all !

I think a lot of young people these days would love to feel part of a social scene, but to Sony there are simply just another market sector.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
My Apologies

To Everyone @ NSC,

My little forward about some group trying to 'mix up ' the charts at Xmas seems to have gone astray. Far too many people who believe that their sociology GCSE or 'O' Level gives them the right to comment on farm animal behaviour. Even more worryingly some numpties seem to think that this is a victory over the establishment!

It was just a bit of fun, FFS.

To the MODS, please close this thread ASAP.

Off with there heads

To Everyone @ NSC,

My little forward about some group trying to 'mix up ' the charts at Xmas seems to have gone astray. Far too many people who believe that their sociology GCSE or 'O' Level gives them the right to comment on farm animal behaviour. Even more worryingly some numpties seem to think that this is a victory over the establishment!

SO WE WON DID WE? WHO WERE WE AGAINST AGAIN? IT FEELS LIKE 1976 ALL OVER AGAIN! A NEW DAWN FOR ROCKNROLL! ITS REVOLUTION AGAIN! STEN GUNS IN TONGDEAN LANE!:rant:

Seagull Stew

It's funny I agree, but I've been a bit bored over the last week hearing (like today) - it's a "victory for music" and the start of some kind of new social movement against the sort of music Cowell produces.

On that front it's quite obviously failed.More people would have downloaded the other track and the resulting phoney war has Cowell laughing all the way to the bank.

Unfortunately, I can see little anarchy in downloading a different track from the same record company and Cowell can quite annoyingly sit back and suggest he is the savour of the record industry, because his artists have increased awareness and the bank balance of another.

Well done all !

I think a lot of young people these days would love to feel part of a social scene, but to Sony there are simply just another market sector.

Looking at this from the perspective of someone who can't get their head around the fact that this campaign had nothing to do with money, I can fully appreciate how this has been a total waste of time and effort. I probably would feel the same way as you Clapham.

However, as someone who fully understood the purpose of this campaign, I am very pleased with the eventual outcome. It probably won't make much difference, but at least it people are talking about it.

Yes, we are all a market sector for Sony, much in the same way as we are a market sector for Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club Ltd.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Looking at this from the perspective of someone who can't get their head around the fact that this campaign had nothing to do with money, I can fully appreciate how this has been a total waste of time and effort. I probably would feel the same way as you Clapham.

However, as someone who fully understood the purpose of this campaign, I am very pleased with the eventual outcome. It probably won't make much difference, but at least it people are talking about it.

Yes, we are all a market sector for Sony, much in the same way as we are a market sector for Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club Ltd.

I agree to a certain extent, if nothing else it has got people listening to something they probably wouldn't and it was nice to hear a track I loved when released but had completely forgotten about.

I have nothing against the campaign as such, but more the reaction to it I've heard from many people. To be frank, they have reminded of the people who think there is something individualistic (even anarchic) about buying a product from Apple.

Cockney sparra!

OK WE'LL CALL IT A DRAW!:clap:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

Well done all !

Agree entirely. How long before we hear of teenagers who downloaded this 17 times to 'support the campaign'?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Agree entirely. How long before we hear of teenagers who downloaded this 17 times to 'support the campaign'?

Would be pretty stupid if they did. Multiple downloads (from the same source) cancels chart eligibility.

BTW, you're still not getting the 'fun' element to this, are you? Bet you're great at parties.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Would be pretty stupid if they did. Multiple downloads (from the same source) cancels chart eligibility.

BTW, you're still not getting the 'fun' element to this, are you? Bet you're great at parties.

well I ironically asked at work this morning and discovered that 'a son's friend' did download it 10 times from multiple sources. Not quite 17 but also very little research to find out. I'm sure a decent journalist could find someone who would beat this score and wouldn't have been aware of the complexities of chart eligibility.

As for the fun element? What is it with people on this thread who can see their side but not any contra opinions? I can see the 'fun' in doing this but like Clapham, I think there are many who are seriously over egging the social connotations and achievement in this.

I await the next snide retort.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
To Everyone @ NSC,

I enjoyed it all as a bit of fun and I am glad a load of poeple chose one record over another person who picks out a record to be no 1.

Some money was raised for charity, lots of people have had a great smile at Cowells expense, the earth keeps turning and I wasted about 30p on Amazon.

Lots of people now saying the song choice was crap for the x factor and Cowell blew it. I doubt it will happen next year as too many people will try it with loads of different songs, unless something like Robbie rejoins Take That and records a new single.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I thought this might amuse one or two.

After the Shelagh Fogarty meltdown over RATM's F-word chorus on Five Live, I sent in a 'complaint' to the BBC on whatever day it was that happened.

Under the headline 'Totally unacceptable language' my email read thus:

"I would like to complain about the disgraceful language on the Breakfast Show this morning. There I was, listening to Rage Against The Machine, when they were cut off and Shelagh Fogarty uttered the words 'Buy Joe's record'. I was shocked, appalled and horrified. This is not what I pay my licence fee for. I hope she will be disciplined."

Several days later, I have received this response. Unbelievable. They actually think I was seriously accusing her of interfering with the record-buying process. I wonder if these people work for the Argus web site in their spare time. I'll happily admit it myself - the email wasn't worth a reply.

"Thanks for your e-mail. Like the majority of the British media, we have given extensive coverage over recent weeks to Joe McElderry the X factor winner and the Facebook campaign to promote Rage Against the Machine for the Christmas No.1 slot, which is a story of interest to many people.

"This year, in a light hearted way in keeping with the tone of 5 live Breakfast, Nicky said he was backing Rage Against the Machine and Shelagh said she was backing Joe. This was in no way a serious endorsement and was never intended to influence anyone's buying habits. Regular listeners to the programme would have appreciated this was entirely in line with the banter that is part of the programme's style.

"We featured the debate on our phone-in and we have interviewed both Joe McElderry and Rage Against the Machine to ensure we have properly covered both sides of the story. David Cameron even gave his view at the end of an interview. As part of this coverage, Rage Against the Machine performed live on Thursday's programme. We had to fade out the performance as it included some swearing at which point Shelagh Fogarty made the comment "buy Joe".

"This was a light-hearted, spontaneous comment in the spirit of the week's coverage and, in the context of that particular moment, should not be construed as a serious recommendation to buy a particular record."

Richard Jackson
Editor, 5 Live Breakfast

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Nope, that was my email, and the response I received today. There obviously were a barrel-load of serious complaints alleging she was trying to swing the vote, which presumably is why they have taken a very clearly piss-taking email seriously.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here