Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst World Cup Ever?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
First group games in 1998: 16 games, 37 goals (2.31 per game)
First group games in 2002: 16 games, 46 goals (2.88 per game)
First group games in 2006: 16 games, 39 goals (2.44 per game)
First group games in 2010: 14 games, 23 goals (1.64 per game)

Unless there's a goalfest in the Chile and Spain games this afternoon, then these opening group matches will have been WELL down on previous World Cups in terms of goals.

D

Deleted User X18H

I just watched the Chile v Honduras game at the Railway (Preston Park) ashamed to say its only about my 5th visit in 5 years.

Only two of us in the bar but enjoyable. I forgot how quirky the pub is you can feel the 19 & 49 Victoria expresses vibrate on the wooden floor. Best game for me so far and the pub is very Albion recognized a few faces in the photo montage.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Seems to me that this first round of games, teams have been far more concerned with not losing than actually going out and winning games. Hopefully the second games will be better as teams need to win. Hopefully it will take off in the knockout stages.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
First group games in 2002: 16 games, 46 goals (2.88 per game)
First group games in 2006: 16 games, 39 goals (2.44 per game)
First group games in 2010: 14 games, 23 goals (1.64 per game)

Now 15 games, 24 goals (1.60 per game)

I am blaming the ball/altitude combo. Adidas came up with a ball that works fantastically in Europe, as proved in the German league this season. The ball is slightly unpredictable, but not alarmingly so. However, at altitude the ball become just as predictable as one of those £1 plastic balls you can buy at a supermarket or any beach gift shop. It strikes me that adidas did not stop to consider how the ball might perform at altitude in their 'scientific research' at Loughborough University.

coloured_footballs2_exp.gif

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Now 15 games, 24 goals (1.60 per game)

I am blaming the ball/altitude combo. Adidas came up with a ball that works fantastically in Europe, as proved in the German league this season. The ball is slightly unpredictable, but not alarmingly so. However, at altitude the ball become just as predictable as one of those £1 plastic balls you can buy at a supermarket or any beach gift shop. It strikes me that adidas did not stop to consider how the ball might perform at altitude in their 'scientific research' at Loughborough University.

coloured_footballs2_exp.gif

Initially I was highly sceptical of the ball being blamed, but the fact that so many players (not just goalies) have continued to complain about it would suggest there might be something in it. That and this article from Alan Smith in the Telegraph:

World Cup 2010: Alan Smith says bounce of the Jabulani ball is sure to baffle all - Telegraph

"This ball behaves like no other I have ever kicked in my life".

Juts to be clear, I'm not blaming the Robert Green thing on the ball, that was just rank bad keeping. But so many players are speaking about having to "adjust" to this ball now. And we've had so few goals so far compared with other WC's at this stage.

Its not the ONLY factor (altitude must obviosuly be playijng a part). But I don't think it can be entirely dismissed either.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Certainly.
Just not making for a great spectacle so far, is it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
There's certainly been an unusually high amount of over hit passes and players over running it.

Very reluctant to get into the blame game though.

Oct 25, 2003
the key to success seems to be organisation over flair......and there's been a fair few match up's between teams simply placing a greater emphasis on stopping goals rather than scoring them, which hasn't led to a great spectacle

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
the key to success seems to be organisation over flair......and there's been a fair few match up's between teams simply placing a greater emphasis on stopping goals rather than scoring them, which hasn't led to a great spectacle

Its like when Greece won the Euro champs in 2004

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Its a bit boring

1. Teams are better now. Defences are organised and there are no real no-hopers anymore. Thus many of the games just see teams cancelling themselves out, e.g. Portugal against Cote D'Ivoire yesterday.

2. Vuvuzela's, as everyone says, kill the atmosphere. I bet that filters through to the players

3. The ball, probably the biggest reason. Its really insane to change the most critical thing in the game on the eve of the tournament, especially to have produced something substandard. Altitude may have an effect, but Cape Town, Durban. Port Elizabeth are all sea-level.

4. The players. Everyone plays in Europe now, so styles are more similar. Moreover there's too much football - players are knackered after a season of non-stop football and many are injured. It was the same for the last world cup, which was also boring early on (England were dreadful for the first four games; arguably for all five games).

5. No talking points yet. That last game was the first upset, but Switzerland? yawn. In all 16 games, only one team has scored and lost. Thus there have been no come from behind wins, no twists and turns, no lead changing hands kind of excitement. There have only been two or three red cards, each justified. Just the one penalty. The refereeing appears to have been good. There has been tension in many games, but completely drowned out by the vuvu's. No players are starring yet.

It will surely get better in the knock-out stage, but could be a tedious ten days to get there.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
*Ahem" Yeah, it's been a right load of shit hasn't it? :dunce:

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Theres something not quite right about this world cup so far. Normally the fans light the world cup up, The Dutch, the Irish, The Brazillians etc but they are all being drowned out by the VUvu's and I think the fear factor has kept many foreign fans away. The constant drone has taken any moments of excitement away form the games and as someone said teams are much more technical now and won't risk flair players. Mind you if England stick 5 past Algeria I could be eating my words

Just getting ready to pan - fry them, with a nice chianti, this world cup is certainly hotting up

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Slowly picking up isn't it?

Does seem a bit easy to pin the blame on the Vuvuzela'sthough , but they certainly seem to be a big part of it. No atmosphere makes all the games feel a bit flat.

2006 got a caning in the press - everyone said it was shit, with everyone except the German's being pretty awful. Can't believe nobody has mentioned that in this thread.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
The problem is too many teams are allowed to qualify resulting in one sided matches for example South and North Korea,Algeria,maybe only one goal difference but no question of teams like Brazil, Argentina or England being being beaten.
The Tournament only really starts when the knockout round commences.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here