Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst World Cup Ever?

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
This.

I'm staggered by this regard for Italia 90. I remember people moaning like hell about it as a terrible tournament. Suddenly, just because England got to the semis it was a great event. It wasn't: it was shite.

Wasn't it also the tournament that was so pisspoor that the rules were changed so that from 1994 it went from 2 to 3 points for a win at the group stage, to encourage attacking football?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Wasn't it also the tournament that was so pisspoor that the rules were changed so that from 1994 it went from 2 to 3 points for a win at the group stage, to encourage attacking football?

Not sure but it definitely brought about he backpass rule change.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
those games weren't anything you'd think was particularly interesting in the Premiership on an average weekend.

True, compared to a weekend of Bolton v Sunderland, Wigan v Portsmouth, Birmingham v Blackburn, Hull v West Ham and Everton v Fulham it pales into insignificance :down:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
94 has to have been bad. I know that in part was because we weren't there, but it was dire.

aviaviavioioioi

Sep 29, 2009
Seaford/Brighton
I liked japan/korea world cup and italia 90. The USA World Cup was quite boring but this world cup is the most negative football I have ever seen. The German game was good but after watching Ivory coast vs Portugal..This has to be the worst World Cup I hope it get more interesting ZZZZZZZzzzzzz

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Apparently there has been an average of 1.54 goals per game so far. The lowest ever is 2.21, which was for Italia 90.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I blame the ball just seems to fly, some of the strikes so far have been ridiculous and that can't just be bad technique

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
There were some cracking matches in the last World Cup in the opening group stage:

Germany 4-2 Costa Rica.
Argentina 2-1 Ivory Coast.
Mexico 3-1 Iran.
Australia 3-1 Japan.
South Korea 2-1 Togo.
Spain 4-0 Ukraine.
Tunisia 2-2 Saudi Arabia.

So what's gone wrong? You cannot blame the hot weather, or the bad pitches, not even the referees who have done well. Brazil may well bang in a few tonight and Spain could turn on the style tomorrow but it's not guaranteed. This World Cup has got a lot to live up to after all the wild hysteria by the media. Shame that Royal Ascot, the US Masters golf and Wimbledon will all be overshadowed by the World Cup.

Prove me wrong and let's have some high scoring, end-to-end matches. PLEASE!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
There were some cracking matches in the last World Cup in the opening group stage:

Germany 4-2 Costa Rica.
Mexico 3-1 Iran.
Australia 3-1 Japan.
South Korea 2-1 Togo.
Spain 4-0 Ukraine.

So what's gone wrong? You cannot blame the hot weather, or the bad pitches, not even the referees who have done well. Brazil may well bang in a few tonight and Spain could turn on the style tomorrow but it's not guaranteed.

This.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hell yeah.

Especially when you consider some nations football programs aren't that old (compared to others).

I agree, but I was actually talking about the popularity of football in England. It's way outside the scope of this thread, but I think the 1966 opening day stat proves that back then football was just another sport; popular yes, but an England international, even an opening World Cup game, was 'only' a game, it wasn't a national event with MASSIVE front page headlines like it is today.

It's a bit like pop music which in the 1960s turned from being an overblown branch of Variety into a massive industry in its own right.

Germany 4-2 Costa Rica.
Mexico 3-1 Iran.
Australia 3-1 Japan.
South Korea 2-1 Togo.
Spain 4-0 Ukraine.

So what's gone wrong? You cannot blame the hot weather, or the bad pitches, not even the referees who have done well. Brazil may well bang in a few tonight and Spain could turn on the style tomorrow but it's not guaranteed. This World Cup has got a lot to live up to after all the wild hysteria by the media. Shame that Royal Ascot, the US Masters golf and Wimbledon will all be overshadowed by the World Cup.

Having sat through Portugal v Ivory Coast (which I was looking forward to) I'll recant slightly and admit that so far this World Cup has had a disappointing start. Still a bit premature to call it the 'worst world cup ever' though.

D

Deleted User X18H

Its a weird World Cup. Especially with young kids bless em. Yesterday I would have watched both afternoon games but that weren't gonna happen. Mickey Mouse clubhouse then garden and a tiny bit of Ascot was the order of the day. Mrs HB&B took herself off to the treatment rooms or some such place. Everyone I know is watching the Slovenia game in the office and working late. I am going to take in the Honduras v Chile match at the Railway this lunch time and might venture down there for Slovenia if the atmos is good. If of course anyone is there.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Its a weird World Cup. Especially with young kids bless em. Yesterday I would have watched both afternoon games but that weren't gonna happen. Mickey Mouse clubhouse then garden and a tiny bit of Ascot was the order of the day. Mrs HB&B took herself off to the treatment rooms or some such place. Everyone I know is watching the Slovenia game in the office and working late. I am going to take in the Honduras v Chile match at the Railway this lunch time and might venture down there for Slovenia if the atmos is good. If of course anyone is there.

Fascinating stuff....

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
FFS ... I've taken 4 weeks off work, watched 13 of the 14 games live so far. It's been that bad I've been cheering on the underdogs in every game to hopefully see some excitement. Now Brazil have been and gone (...come on the Comrades of North Korea), unless Spain do something special, a bit of flair.. I'm going back to work!!!!! :US: :tantrum: :shootself :shrug: :cry:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The football hasn't been good, the noise has been worse. Thank goodness for 20/20 cricket.

D

Deleted User X18H

The country bored with the World Cup! Just the scenario for England to sneak up and win it almost unnoticed.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
FFS ... I've taken 4 weeks off work, watched 13 of the 14 games live so far. It's been that bad I've been cheering on the underdogs in every game to hopefully see some excitement. Now Brazil have been and gone (...come on the Comrades of North Korea), unless Spain do something special, a bit of flair.. I'm going back to work!!!!! :US: :tantrum: :shootself :shrug: :cry:

So far the World Cup has been poor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here