Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst World Cup Ever?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I love all this rose tinted about Italia 90. It was SHITE. But because England got the furthest they have since 66 it was great. No it wasnt.

Generally its regarded as one of the worst world cups due to the lack of goals (which incidentally led to the change of the backpass rule), cynical defending and the blatant playing for penalties by nearly every team from the second round onwards. Argentina being the main culprits.
Indeed. Italia 90 was really a VERY average tournament and in stark contrast to USA 94 which was BRILLIANT even though we didn't make it.

No backpasses, packed stadiums, record crowds and some top drawer football.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Is it me, or is it a societal thing, or is it that the kids on here are so bloody impatient for everything; that they want something now, now NOW?

:eek:ldgit:

'Worst World Cup ever...?' :facepalm:

Yep.

Just like England being average in their first game.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Did no one find England v USA exciting? That was probably the best game of the cup so far in terms of excitement.

i was too annoyed with heskey to be excited!

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I love all this rose tinted about Italia 90. It was SHITE. But because England got the furthest they have since 66 it was great. No it wasnt.

Generally its regarded as one of the worst world cups due to the lack of goals (which incidentally led to the change of the backpass rule), cynical defending and the blatant playing for penalties by nearly every team from the second round onwards. Argentina being the main culprits.

Nail on head.

England v USA at this World Cup was a 10 times better to watch than any of England's group games at Italia 90.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If you take a look at the 2006 World Cup finals 2006 FIFA World Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia You'll see that not every tournament produces opening group games that are dull and cagey. Reminding myself now by looking at results in there, I particularly remember Switzerland standing out as being dull dull dull amongst what was by and large open and attacking football from the off.

No disputing that it is too early to be writing the tournament off yet, but if you've sat through every single game so far then I think it's only natural to be having a bit of a grumble. Probably even more likely to grumble at this very early stage because all the excitement and anticipation of a World Cup is still rushing through the veins, but as yet nothing has been witnessed to sustain it.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
1994 for me, but that could be as a result of me still being utterly miserable at not qualifying.

I can be a bit of a sore loser like that. 1990, I didn't even watch the Final, as I was too depressed at our Semi-Final defeat to even contemplate watching German and Argies battle out for the Cup we should have been winning.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
As long as those f***ing horns keep drowning out any atmosphere at the grounds it will EASILY go down as the worst World Cup i've ever watched.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As long as those f***ing horns keep drowning out any atmosphere at the grounds it will EASILY go down as the worst World Cup i've ever watched.
Only because your crap team have been absolutely SHITHOUSE.

Or have you decided that Aussies don't care about the WC now, a bit like you don't care about cricket just after you've been beaten in the Ashes?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Only because your crap team have been absolutely SHITHOUSE.

Or have you decided that Aussies don't care about the WC now, a bit like you don't care about cricket just after you've been beaten in the Ashes?

I've never really paid much attention, but are all your posts rubbish like this one?

I enjoy the WC as an event, I'd love Australia to be doing better but we aren't up to it this time around.

There's far more interest in the WC here than in the Ashes, by a long stretch.

The Ashes is a boring little colonial tryst compared to the 2nd biggest sporting event in the world.

This WC is shit(for me) because I cant hear the English fans signing, I cant hear the South Koreans with their drums beating in fact I can't hear anything from ANY fan base because of those shit horns.

Just because its held in South Africa doesn't mean the whole Cup is about them, its about ALL teams there and their fans.

If they want to blow them in South African games great, that represents their fans.

But when they drown out the good things that other fans from other nations bring then it becomes shit.

Pretty simple really.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
... and after the first game in 1966 everybody though THAT was the worst World Cup ever. The 'scoreless shocker' against Uraguay. It got better though ...

Incidentally I didn't realise that for that opening game of 1966 Wembley was 17,000 below capacity! Odd when you think that now the most mundane friendly sells out, with tickets in both relative and absolute terms costing far more than they did then. Just shows how much more popular football has become.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

This.

I'm staggered by this regard for Italia 90. I remember people moaning like hell about it as a terrible tournament. Suddenly, just because England got to the semis it was a great event. It wasn't: it was shite.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Just shows how much more popular football has become.

Hell yeah.

Especially when you consider some nations football programs aren't that old (compared to others).

While it has a rich history in Europe and South America in places like Asia and Africa a lot of their football programs are only 20-30 years old since the formation of national type leagues, some much less.

I look at America and how "soccer" is now portrayed on TV there.

They always used to show kids playing baseball in parks on their TV shows up until the 80's. Now a lot of the shows have the kids playing soccer.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hell yeah.

Especially when you consider some nations football programs aren't that old (compared to others).

While it has a rich history in Europe and South America in places like Asia and Africa a lot of their football programs are only 20-30 years old since the formation of national type leagues, some much less.

I look at America and how "soccer" is now portrayed on TV there.

They always used to show kids playing baseball in parks on their TV shows up until the 80's. Now a lot of the shows have the kids playing soccer.
Football is MASSIVE in America. They're simply waiting for the media to catch up, and all the 60s and over to pop off.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Football is MASSIVE in America. They're simply waiting for the media to catch up, and all the 60s and over to pop off.

I'd say more like the 40's an over age group.

It's the mid 30's an under that seem into it in a much much bigger way.

All those yummy soccer moms. :love:

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
The thing was 90 was accessable, good value, tickets were readily available and the atmosphere magneficient. (Full of football fans, No corporates) The football wasn't so good, but it really was one long party.
I was there, having been frozen out by the neighbours for leaving the Mrs on her own with two small kids. I guess her being eight months pregnant it wasn't easy, but I did phone home every day!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Referees have ruined World Cups before. Not this one unless you are an Aussie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here