Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst World Cup Ever?

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Did no one find England v USA exciting? That was probably the best game of the cup so far in terms of excitement.

In terms of judging a game's excitement I find it a lot easier when I'm not supporting one of the teams involved. The England v USA match was exciting for us because it could have gone either way, and even when your team is playing averagely you still believe that one chance might provide a goal. When you're a neutral you rely on decent football and exciting matches. None forthcoming so far, but still plenty of time to go I suppose!

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Its going to be Robihno mania tomorrow, hes going to tear the Koreans apart (I pray for my pathetic fantasy team and a few bets!)

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
It's so bad I've started watching the baseball again - cracking game at the moment between the Cardinals and the Mariners with St Louis taking an 8-2 lead

ack

Apr 20, 2006
Its too early to tell yet, the better european teams are still to play and we are still only 1 game in for those that have gone before. I'll defer judgement untill all teams have played 2 games.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
As has been pointed out the first round of group matches are invariably cagey and poor spectacles. You're not out if you lose and you're not through to the next stage if you win, an the cagey nations like Italy always like to get their crap performances out of the way early on. Trust me, these first matches aren't what you'll remember of this World Cup.

Just to recall two old world cups from an English perspective: The memories of 1990 are things like Platt's last gasp-goal, the victory over Cameroon and of course the semi final against Germany. No one remembers the DIRE group games we played, and I'm struggling to recall them. I think we started with a 1-1 draw against Ireland (all I can remember was that it was a shocking game), then 0-0 against the grouo favourites, Holland, then an insipid 1-0 win over Egypt (I think).

Ditto 1986 where we remember Lineker's hat-trick against Poland, and of course the 'Hand of God' game. Again no one remembers we were (once again) DIRE in our first two games - a draw and a defeat against Morocco and Portugal

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
As has been pointed out the first round of group matches are invariably cagey and poor spectacles. You're not out if you lose and you're not through to the next stage if you win, an the cagey nations like Italy always like to get their crap performances out of the way early on. Trust me, these first matches aren't what you'll remember of this World Cup.

Just to recall two old world cups from an English perspective: The memories of 1990 are things like Platt's last gasp-goal, the victory over Cameroon and of course the semi final against Germany. No one remembers the DIRE group games we played, and I'm struggling to recall them. I think we started with a 1-1 draw against Ireland (all I can remember was that it was a shocking game), then 0-0 against the grouo favourites, Holland, then an insipid 1-0 win over Egypt (I think).

Ditto 1986 where we remember Lineker's hat-trick against Poland, and of course the 'Hand of God' game. Again no one remembers we were (once again) DIRE in our first two games - a draw and a defeat against Morocco and Portugal

Good point! I don't remember them either.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The football may be crap but the vuvuzelas are so annoying thatim pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy it even if it was ace.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I am only 18, so I can only remember France '98 onwards. But this World Cup has been f***ing atrocious. Dreadful play, barely any goals, those f***ing vuvuzelas.
Can anyone remember a worse World Cup than this one has been so far?

What a ridiculous statement!

England, Germany, Italy, Argentina and Holland have only played once.

Spain, Brazil and Portugal haven't even played yet.

That's like going to a concert and saying that the band are the worst you've ever heard while they're still going through their sound checks!

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Easily the worst world cup so far - let's hope the spanish add some much needed class. Not only have the games been awful but so has some of the punditry. Can anyone understand what Adebayor is saying? He talks far too quickly and quite frankly, you could have a shower and re-decorate a room in the time it takes Edgar Davids to answer a question.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
i think when someone says it is good or bad, it means different things to different people.

its like this:

level of play: mediocre, but groups are usually poor until 2nd or 2rd lot of games.

big events / talking points: none yet.

atmosphere: appalling due to the v's. a throw-in has the same atmosphere as a goal.
also the v's kill any character of fans - all the same now.

at the moment its just getting going, but if the v's stay then it will go down as a bad wc as each game has the same "feel." like when there is a yellow card and the crowd get noisier - this wont happen, its just the same level of V all the way through - its gotta stop.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
i think when someone says it is good or bad, it means different things to different people.

its like this:

level of play: mediocre, but groups are usually poor until 2nd or 2rd lot of games.

atmosphere: appalling due to the v's. a throw-in has the same atmosphere as a goal.

at the moment its just getting going, but if the v's stay then it will go down as a bad wc as each game has the same "feel." like when there is a yellow card and the crowd get noisier - this wont happen, its just the same level of V all the way through - its gotta stop.

Yep 100% agree.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
After a quick Royal Ascot preview had been shown yesterday, Gary Lineker said "We'll have New Zealand vs Slovakia for you on the other channel. Can hardly wait....". He's paid an obscene amount of money to present and watch the pinnacle of football. Don't slag the teams off before they've even played. They've earnt their right to be at the World Cup and it could be a really good game. Lineker is such a twat.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
After a quick Royal Ascot preview had been shown yesterday, Gary Lineker said "We'll have New Zealand vs Slovakia for you on the other channel. Can hardly wait....". He's paid an obscene amount of money to present and watch the pinnacle of football. Don't slag the teams off before they've even played. They've earnt their right to be at the World Cup and it could be a really good game. Lineker is such a twat.

I thought that, it was typically smug. Lineker never gets the tone of anything right, it's all crap puns and sarcastic quips. I don't imagine some of his superiors were too impressed with him slagging off their own output. And as you say, it could be a good game. Let's face it, we need one wherever it comes from.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I do. We were a shambles in those first two games, and the pics of Bobby Robson, head in hands, slumped over the balcony were all over the pages. He was being portrayed as absolutely clueless by the media, and in fairness you could see why. That Morocco game remains the worst England "performance" I can remember.

Then for Poland, a game we needed to win, he chanced upon partnering Lineker with Beardsley up front, Wilkins was dropped and Reid came in, and we never looked back. Poland and Paraguay were both slaughtered 3-0 and we looked a good side going into the Argentina game which was very, very even and decided by a a goal that shouldn't have been allowed.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I love all this rose tinted about Italia 90. It was SHITE. But because England got the furthest they have since 66 it was great. No it wasnt.

Generally its regarded as one of the worst world cups due to the lack of goals (which incidentally led to the change of the backpass rule), cynical defending and the blatant playing for penalties by nearly every team from the second round onwards. Argentina being the main culprits.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008

its like this:

Well done Sir, summed it up in one post. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here