Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst World Cup Ever?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I am only 18, so I can only remember France '98 onwards. But this World Cup has been f***ing atrocious. Dreadful play, barely any goals, those f***ing vuvuzelas.
Can anyone remember a worse World Cup than this one has been so far?

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Jesus give it a chance we are only four days in!!!

I agree to an extent but when you are 11 games in and not one of those games has been anything beyond average it gets pretty depressing. Especially for those who are lucky enough to be able to sit in and watch them all. The amount of draws and comfortable victorys (even when it's only 1-0) has been incredible. S Africa match was good, and Germany were good to watch, but even those games weren't anything you'd think was particularly interesting in the Premiership on an average weekend.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
18 goals, 4 red cards, 1 penalty, goal keeper mistakes, all from 11 games. It's not THAT bad.

And that's without Spain, Brazil or Portugal playing.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It's the first round of games when teams are terrified of losing! World cups never get going until the final group and then knockout games and besides we have spain, Portugal and brazil to come yet. Patience people!!!!

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
18 goals, 4 red cards, 1 penalty, goal keeper mistakes, all from 11 games. It's not THAT bad.

And that's without Spain, Brazil or Portugal playing.

Statistics are very simplistic though. The Germany game had four goals in it but was not an 'exciting' match - I don't think I've seen a single exciting match yet other than the opener - but that was only for the added spice of desperately not wanting to see the hosts lose.

Plus, 18 goals from 11 games isn't exactly very impressive is it? A lot less than 2 goals a game.

They've all qualified, footballing ability has increased even in the minnows, two half decent sides playing the same tactics will cause some stagnation (this we have witness at the Theatre of Queens for years!). Its how it is.

Would you prefer no footie over the summer at all? Knock stages is where its at, best to come.

IF England get it back together and do well it will all be forgotten anyway.

Stop worrying dear and the next time you are sipping on an ice cold pint, in the glorious sunshine, watching the WC instead of working, take time to reflect this sentiment - its not all bad!

HCQ

Or have a 5 year son who is just getting the whole football deal, loves the WC and wants to kick balls (sometimes literally), it makes the dross seem like gloss!

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
They've all qualified, footballing ability has increased even in the minnows, two half decent sides playing the same tactics will cause some stagnation (this we have witness at the Theatre of Queens for years!). Its how it is.

Would you prefer no footie over the summer at all? Knock stages is where its at, best to come.

IF England get it back together and do well it will all be forgotten anyway.

Stop worrying dear and the next time you are sipping on an ice cold pint, in the glorious sunshine, watching the WC instead of working, take time to reflect this sentiment - its not all bad!

HCQ

Or have a 5 year son who is just getting the whole football deal, loves the WC and wants to kick balls (sometimes literally), it makes the dross seem like gloss!

:laugh: :clap2: :laugh:

Why didn't I think of that username!?

:bowdown:

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Statistics are very simplistic though. The Germany game had four goals in it but was not an 'exciting' match - I don't think I've seen a single exciting match yet other than the opener - but that was only for the added spice of desperately not wanting to see the hosts lose.

Plus, 18 goals from 11 games isn't exactly very impressive is it? A lot less than 2 goals a game.

First, I enjoyed the Germany game :shrug:

Second, you class 3 goals as A LOT?

Just sit back, and wait my friends.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
First, I enjoyed the Germany game :shrug:

Second, you class 3 goals as A LOT?

Just sit back, and wait my friends.

Well a) I think the Germany game was good - I just don't think games where the result is decided at half time are particularly exciting no matter how well one team is playing

b) I make 18 goals out of 11 games 4 goals less than the 22 required for an average of 2 goals a game. And although 4 doesn't sound a lot if we're talking averages I'd say it's a significant enough difference. Whatever way, it's still a pretty low haul.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Maths never was my strong point :laugh:

Well, look forward to Ivory Coast vs Portugal, and Brazil vs Korea tomorrow.
Hopefully they will kick start the excitement.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Are the first games of the group stage ever that thrilling? No one goes all out for a win as losing a few goals can be critical later on. Admittedly the vuvuzelas do kill the fans atmosphere a bit at the games which is annoying.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Easy choice for worst World Cup, 94 in the US, may seem obvious as we weren't there but I can't remember very much at all about it...especially the final as there was a power cut, an explosion or some other mishap at our local transmitter and I missed the whole thing...wouldn't have minded, but it was at a time I was weekly commuting from Sussex and I drove back early on the Sunday evening to make sure of seeing the game!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I agree to an extent but when you are 11 games in and not one of those games has been anything beyond average it gets pretty depressing. Especially for those who are lucky enough to be able to sit in and watch them all. The amount of draws and comfortable victorys (even when it's only 1-0) has been incredible. S Africa match was good, and Germany were good to watch, but even those games weren't anything you'd think was particularly interesting in the Premiership on an average weekend.

Agreed. Beginning to get right fed up.

Haven't missed a game yet and will be taking up my seat tomorrow, starting off with New Zealand v Slovakia. Was really looking forward to Ivory Coast v Portugal, but now I'm not banking on anything exciting coming our way :(

The only good thing is that it can only get better because it's impossible for it to get any worse !

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Theres something not quite right about this world cup so far. Normally the fans light the world cup up, The Dutch, the Irish, The Brazillians etc but they are all being drowned out by the VUvu's and I think the fear factor has kept many foreign fans away. The constant drone has taken any moments of excitement away form the games and as someone said teams are much more technical now and won't risk flair players. Mind you if England stick 5 past Algeria I could be eating my words

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here