Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

" Worst support we've ever seen" chant

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Pavilionaire said:
It's sad that a large number of Albion fans think that singing ANY song that takes the piss out of the opposition is funny, however inappropriate the song actually is.

If the Albion aspire to be a big club this minority of muppets better wise up, otherwise this club will be a laughing stock in the eyes of fans of any club currently bigger than us.

It's great that we get on so well with the Doncasters and Wrexhams of this world, but you couldn't blame the average Spurs, Wolves or West Ham fan for giving Tom Hark a miss.
Come on Pav, its only banter. I don't think we want to get too precious about singing a few songs that take the piss. Obviously there ARE some songs that are just bang out of order (such as the "Munich" one sung by some factions of Leeds fans), but in general its just part and parcel of having some banter and making some noise - ideally we'll sing something taking the piss, and the opposing fans will do the same back, and before you know it.....

.....you've actually got a match with a bit of ATMOSPHERE

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
Paxtonlad said:
You have to remember that it was only a few years ago that Chelsea were struggling to get more than 15,000 at home games. Bunch of johnny-come-latelies. If ever there was a set of fans that didn't deserve a rich benefactor, it is them.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
:lolol: Couldn't agree more! :lolol:

NickL

Aug 21, 2003
Brighton
Surely we only sing songs like ' stayed with a big club' and 'you're not a big club anymore' because we all know that we're anything but!?! Most clubs above us eg. west ham, leeds etc... think that we're a small time, nothing club so why shouldn't we take the piss?
:salute:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I know what you're saying Easy, but since we've beaten Leicester, Forest, Leeds and West Ham I think some of the songs we've come out with are ill-judged, given our present predicament.

Personally, I think Albion fans are right up there with the best when it comes to singing with a sense of humour, but it's all about wit, and what's funny about "Small club in Arsenal" - the place doesn't exist!?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Did anyone sing Small club in Arsenal then? I didn't hear it.

NickL

Aug 21, 2003
Brighton
Personally, I think Albion fans are right up there with the best when it comes to singing with a sense of humour, but it's all about wit, and what's funny about "Small club in Arsenal" - the place doesn't exist!? [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree with you there. I hate the 'small town in .....' song.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
I know Spurs fans have a reputation for being a) quiet until b) they're suddenly quick to criticise their own players - I recently re-read the fascinating The Glory Game, which shows it's not merely a recent reputation - but, as Lord Bracknell has said, I think the acoustics can be deceiving. I've come away from away games certain our small corner had utterly drowned out everyone else, only to be told differently by equally-convinced home fans. Or, after the recent North London derby, I was shocked by how quiet the Goon fans were, even by their usual standards - only to be stunned by Arsenal supporters who'd been watching on TV and claimed to only hear their own fans. Actually, I'm fairly confident I was arguing from a stronger stance that time...
The White Hart Lane atmosphere has definitely improved in the last couple of years - at its peak when Glenn Hoddle was manager, before the decline set in. There were similar moments on Saturday when the incessant '.... blue and white army' rhythm set in, now obviously with Jol's name instead of Hoddle's. We obviously weren't as uproarious as yourselves but I don't think the atmosphere was shameful.
I always find the Man City fans the most sanctimonious, though - the 'Worst support we've ever seen' are the one and only thing that's predictable about Keegan's club, and usually unleashed as soon as more than one City fan has successfully gathered in their seats...
And, since we're one of the very few clubs in the Premiership who HAVE consistently sold out and sold out and sold out again over the last 15 years (of underachieving crapness on the pitch), we can't be quite as 'fickle' as popular mythology makes out...
Some of Chelsea and Arsenal's sub-20,000 attendances for European games in recent years beggared belief (not this season, I admit).

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
dougdeep said:
Did anyone sing Small club in Arsenal then? I didn't hear it.

I heard 'small club near Highbury'

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
NickL said:
I agree with you there. I hate the 'small town in .....' song.

I think that's like the "worst support ..." one, it was funny when it was first used and used well; "Small town in Oxford " at Reading etc., but has since been used every game, even when it makes no sense. Still, when it's good, it's brilliant.

Last edited:

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
We occasionally get 'Small club in Enfield' which I suppose it at least close enough (geographically, I mean, and that's all)... Nearer than Barnet, anyway. and suggests a greater level of thought than the stupid 'Small club in Arsenal' version... I suppose 'Small club in Haringey' doesn't really scan...

Sad to say, but the opposition chant I felt most (grudgingly) tempted to smile at was a Chelsea one. Not long after we thrashed them 5-1 in a League Cup semi in 2001, in the midst of our ongoing struggle for any kind of win against them (prompting our own, enjoyable 'Can we play you every week?'), we got drawn at home against them in an FA Cup quarter-final - and collapsed 4-0.
Their section of the ground obviously loved hollering 'Normal service - normal service - normal service has resumed, normal service has resumed...'
:angry: :censored: :lolol: :censored: :angry:

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
mr turd said:
Must say that song i.e worst support we have ever seen is crap,also im getting bored with stand up if you want falmer,its bloody obvious we want falmer for christ sake grrrrrrrr.:shootself

I suggested exactly the same about the chant for Falmer and was slagged off by people saying that it was to gain 'a sense of togetherness' within the supporters.

Have you noticed it is always the smaller clubs that sing about the crap oppostion. i.e Everton about Liverpool, Man City about United, Sunderland about Newcastle, Portsmouth about Southampton and even us about Palace in recent years never vice versa.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think it's a shit chant.

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
From the East Stand I certainly couldn't hear 'Small town near ...' anything. I hadn't realised it had been sung until I read it here.

I heard:
Worst support we've ever seen
Stand up if you want Falmer
Stayed with a big club (To Mark Yeates I presume)

I also heard something that I guess was Sussex by the Sea but it was so fast it just sounded like wave noise.

And as Lush said so what if in reality Spurs actually weren't 'the worst support we've ever seen' and so what if singing 'should have stayed with a big club' is totally inaccurate as Spurs are actually bigger than Brighton. It was a football match, it's all part of the "my dad's bigger than your dad" banter. It's not as if we're supposed to be quoting from the Enclycopedia Brittanica

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
trueblue said:
Is everybody American? Reading this thread, it's like irony never existed.

You beat me to it. It seems to me that it is an offence against good whloesome supporting unless the chants are accurate and NOT tongue in cheek.

Can we make sure in future that before each game we use NSC to establish the agreed chants for the next game and makes sure we have accurate information over the size of the club in comparison to us and those in its local geographical area. Can we also change our chants to , for example, should have stayed at a small club.

In fact it seems that most would be content if we didn't chant unless we can show that we are a bigger club or do make more noise. So please sort this out i don't want to be enjoying myself by singing inaccurate or ironic chants

NO MORE IRONY PLEASE IT ONLY UPSETS THOSE AROUND YOU.

:shootself

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
dont know of this has been mentioned but to the ones moaning about us signing "premiershit? you're having a laugh!", the mighty Watford sang this to Liverpool last night at least twice in the first half!

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Saint Lennard said:
You beat me to it. It seems to me that it is an offence against good whloesome supporting unless the chants are accurate and NOT tongue in cheek.

Can we make sure in future that before each game we use NSC to establish the agreed chants for the next game and makes sure we have accurate information over the size of the club in comparison to us and those in its local geographical area. Can we also change our chants to , for example, should have stayed at a small club.

In fact it seems that most would be content if we didn't chant unless we can show that we are a bigger club or do make more noise. So please sort this out i don't want to be enjoying myself by singing inaccurate or ironic chants

PC has gone too far me thinks! :nono:

Bunch of :censored:

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Saint Lennard said:

Quite. One of the funniest reactions I have seen on an away fan was at home to Leeds at the Goldstone. Their fans took up the whole of the East Terrace during the season they got promoted to the what is now the Premiership. There must have been around 4-5 thousand of them.

The North Stand piped up 'Is that all you take away' to which I could see a Leeds fan shout obscenties back and shaking with anger, enraged by the suggestion that Leeds were small time. Marvellous when chants like that get the response we desire.

binary said:
Absolutely! We should have sang something along those lines??

But then again when you are forced to sit down and not enjoy yourselves with the jobsworth stewards, I suppose that's the end result.
But (in Block 36) no steward came near us. Everyone stood throughout the game.

Which is the whole point ... in a large crowd, what goes on around "me" is often unseen and unheard by people elsewhere in the ground.

It was never like that at the Priestfield.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here