Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst Boozer in Sussex

simon195

Sep 11, 2007
The Burrell @ Hogwarts Heath has been an absolute shithole since at least 1981.
ill go along with that, i used live haywards heath, went in there couple times, just so dull and lifeless, just really odd boozer:facepalm:

simon195

Sep 11, 2007
The Compton Arms near the Dials has always been a dump. Like most pubs near there it now has a new name; The Rat and Trumpet. Still looks a dive.
yeah they named the rat cause its full o vermin!!!

Last edited:

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
Although a firm old favourite of mine, Dobbins Inn (or formally The Balaclava) in Wadhurst has to officially be the worst pub in Sussex. Imagine if you will a scene from the old wild west except with sussex locals, the odd village whore and luke warm Harveys and you've got the picture.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Anyone saying that the Burrell or the Duck were the worst pubs in Haywards Heath, let alone the whole of Sussex, has clearly never frequented the Sussex, the Liverpool or the Golden Eagle.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Strong votes I can agree with for The Northern (Brighton), The Clifton (Worthing)......for me though it was JB's in Worthing, popular with both local students and the local homeless, used to stink like hell and had frequent dub reggae nights :\ From my point of view, it got to the point where all my friends wanted to go there all the time and I didn't....difficult choice but the place revolted me so much I gave up my friends :)

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Either The Whistlestop in Portslade or The Evening Star near Brighton Station.

The Whistle has an awful atmosphere and I have never felt safe in there and The Evening Star has the worst selection of Lager I've ever seen in a pub.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Clifton always was a proper mans drinking pub which didnt tolerate arseholes going into there trying to be hard but Imsy admit to not having been in there for a couple of years. The Jolly Brewers uaed to be the same. My pick of shiothole pubs that I wouldnt frequent include The Top House in Burgess Hill, The Burrell and Heath in Haywards Heath all are souless holes with customers to match. Gone are the days of proper pubs with drinkers that want good beer, good company and friendly staff.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The Burrell @ Hogwarts Heath has been an absolute shithole since at least 1981.

Ah ha! I knew the Burrell would get a mention at some point.It's never been up its own arse-what you see is what you get.There's some decent people who i went to school with in there.

It's a pub that relies on a lot of passing trade so strangers aren't given a death stare when they walk in.Always worth a couple of pints if you've just stepped off the train.It does feel like a London boozer though.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
The trolar bar (i think it was called) in Worthing, that was bad news :lolol:

Would that have been the Tyroler bar?. (as in tyrol in Austria)

If it's the one I'm thinking of it was within the first floor balcony shops of the Guildbourne centre in worthing. That's going back to at least 1985 :blush:

I don't even know if they are there any more but my vote goes to either of the two pubs opposite frost's in Shoreham that were each end of the parade of shops next to the council offices.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I think it may have been the Tyroler...but I wasn't in the mood for pulling up the orignal poster on their spelling! It was the one in the Guildbourne Centre, last time I was in there must have been the early to mid-90's, so haven't a clue whether it still exists.

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
Anyone saying that the Burrell or the Duck were the worst pubs in Haywards Heath, let alone the whole of Sussex, has clearly never frequented the Sussex, the Liverpool or the Golden Eagle.

the Sussex was ok until the last couple of years of its life, but i have to agree about the liverpool and the Eagle, as the liverpool is no longer , id say the Eagle is the worst in HH by a mile

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
the Sussex was ok until the last couple of years of its life, but i have to agree about the liverpool and the Eagle, as the liverpool is no longer , id say the Eagle is the worst in HH by a mile

No no no no no no no, the Livvy Arms was fantastic and much missed. Eagle I'd go along with but none of these in the Heath compare to how shit the Junction in Buggers Hole was.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
. Absolutely agree, if you mean the one in Worthing. Full of drunken arseholes, they serve school kids with booze. 2 or 3 fights a week, police seen permanently camped outside, but do nothing. Should have been closed years ago.

Wasn't it the clifton where Brighton had a big ruck with Cardiff a few years back ?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I haven't been in there for a few years now. Don't know why I even went back after they threw a group of us out on NYE at 11.50pm, despite having sold us a round of drinks..! (We were underage at the time, though).

Is it still covered from head to toe in that ghastly wood panelling?

It still has the wood panelling but is under new management and its friendly, theres no trouble, darts, pool, big sky screens

Calling it one of the worst pubs in sussex, haha. its not even the worst pub in 7 dials

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The Spreadeagle was an absolute toilet but you could get anything you wanted in there. On that subject does the Bat and Ball still get the 10 am deliveries?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here