Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst Boozer in Sussex

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
What about

The Hollingbury
Stamner Park Tavern
Aldrington
Duke of Wellington (Elm Grove & Kemp Town)
The Snipe
Horse and Groom
Leconfield Arms
Windmill (Southwick)
Martha Gunn
Spreadeagle
Lion and Unicorn
Sutherland Arms

Haven't been in any for ages but were all fairly dogdy 5-10 years ago

What's that pub in the arse end of Mile Oak that is full of nutters. That's the only place I've felt properly uncomfortable in Brighton?

Fairly certain Horse & Groom (Doom & Gloom) is now closed and empty. Think The Sutherland Arms is now Round Georges and quite a pleasant pub now.
The pub that used to be Hemmingways has now become The Greene Room and never seems to be open despite only being open for about 4 weeks. It was always empty as Hemmingways and will certainly close down in the near future, no passing trade and no atmosphere. The Greene Room has a sign on front saying Strictly No Work Boots Allowed. Silly seeing as the pubs round here are full of builders and not a good idea for getting custom considering they should really be trying everything to get folks in.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Certainly not a dive but for the staff alone The Open House by Lnd Rd Station is one of the worst pubs. They never take notice of serving order, the blokes opt to serve the good looking girls first and the girls will serve good looking blokes first (that's me screwed). I have been in there waiting for service, being the only person at the bar and had to wait while the barman finished his mobile phone conversation that clearly had nothing to do with work, didn't even acknowledge my presence.

If we're marking pubs down on account of shit service - and IMHO we should - then the Park View deserves a dishonourable mention here. Service is almost always shit, and negates all the other positive aspects (good food/good beer/comfy ample seating) of the place. Fortunately, they've had the unlucky-for-them decree from head office to provide little cards on the tables with a feedback website to moan to. So they're not as smart as they think they are on the crap service front. Ha. Ha.

Last edited:

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
With a load of mates, I got BANNED from the Northern way back in the early seventies. A banning that I have NEVER thought about challenging.

I think the other fella is talking about The Northern just up Ditchling Road from The Open Market ???

Are you talking about The Northern on Cheapside, on the opposite corner from where Sainsbury's used to be, now called The Hobgoblin?

I remember it used to be a bit of a bikers/rockers pub in the late 70's, with The Law always pitching up outside at kicking out time to uphold (have a bit of fun...) the law...

One copper made the mistake of saying to a pissed rocker, 'Go on then son, nut me if you want....', to take one full in the face. The poor rocker was manhandled into the back of a transit where no doubt, the errors of his ways were explained to him, before being turfed out :lol:

I think the other fella is talking about The Northern just up Ditchling Road from The Open Market ???

Are you talking about The Northern on Cheapside, on the opposite corner from where Sainsbury's used to be, now called The Hobgoblin?
Good spot.

Yes. I'm talking about The Northern that turned into The Hobgoblin. I'm an unforgiving sort, though. I never set foot in the place after they threw me out.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's funny how we judge pubs. There is the usual you can spot straight away, clientel, service, decor, beer etc but sometimes you just get a feeling the second you walk in . For example I like the Tin Drum on Seven Dials (yes, poncey I know, and I usually prefer traditional pubs) but the one on St James St I hate. No discernable dif except location.

Or The Crescent near the Seven Dials. Nothing particularly wrong with the place but for some reason I find the place depressing beyond words.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's funny how we judge pubs. There is the usual you can spot straight away, clientel, service, decor, beer etc but sometimes you just get a feeling the second you walk in . For example I like the Tin Drum on Seven Dials (yes, poncey I know, and I usually prefer traditional pubs) but the one on St James St I hate. No discernable dif except location.

Yes. Yes Yes.

Although location does go a little way to explaining it. Been in the St James St one before and a tramp peed on the outside window. I don't like St James St at all (except for 3 in 10)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Or The Crescent near the Seven Dials. Nothing particularly wrong with the place but for some reason I find the place depressing beyond words.

No it's not just you. The Crescent is depressing. Nice beer garden though.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Yes. Yes Yes.

Although location does go a little way to explaining it. Been in the St James St one before and a tramp peed on the outside window. I don't like St James St at all (except for 3 in 10)

Agreed. One route I can take home goes through St James st and I have never found a pub on that street I like.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

There's just certain pubs that are always easier to walk past than go in. They just look positively horribly gloomy and uninviting from the outside. Like the Hare & Hounds at Preston circus. Or the William IV in the North Laine. I'm sure they're perfectly reasonable pubs. They just won't be getting my custom anytime soon. Shallow or what?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
There's just certain pubs that are always easier to walk past than go in. They just look positively horribly gloomy and uninviting from the outside. Like the Hare & Hounds at Preston circus. Or the William IV in the North Laine. I'm sure they're perfectly reasonable pubs. They just won't be getting my custom anytime soon. Shallow or what?

The william IV looks okay, not my type but I can assure you the Hare & Hounds is one horrible boozer.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
cant believe this has got to 7 pages without a mention of the Preston Brewery Tap.

Go in there on non-matchdays, you'll wish you hadn't

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here