Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women's Euro 2022 Final- England v Germany 31.07.2022- OFFICIAL THREAD

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Totally agree with that but not what I’ve been told by a few on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the point is that we know the quality isn't as good and there is no need to keep bringing it up in conversation. I'm unsure of its relevance. Folk are just enjoying the women's game and its increased exposure and what has clearly been a raising of standards.

I can't stand Formula 1. But I won't go in that thread and start banging on about how dull I think watching cars go round and round a track is. I know folk enjoy it and I'll leave them to do so.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
VAR checked, yes.. but I could tell you plenty of occasions when VAR checked and got it wrong. And no German appealed because they might not have seen it and also there's not a ****load of surrounding the referee when women play football. They just keep going.

As for the red card, if you're an outfield player preventing the ball from going in with your hand, you quite often get a red card for denying a goal scoring opportunity. But think a yellow would have been more likely and more fair in this situation.

Maybe a bit of luck then but you don't normally win a Cup without Lady Luck on your side. And I think our Nation deserved a bit of football luck, last time was in '66!

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
VAR checked, yes.. but I could tell you plenty of occasions when VAR checked and got it wrong. And no German appealed because they might not have seen it and also there's not a ****load of surrounding the referee when women play football. They just keep going.

As for the red card, if you're an outfield player preventing the ball from going in with your hand, you quite often get a red card for denying a goal scoring opportunity. But think a yellow would have been more likely and more fair in this situation.

I think the fact that it probably would have had to be a red card if they gave a penalty is exactly why they didn’t give a penalty.

Sending off one of the poster girls of the nation hosting the tournament in a final and giving the opposition a penalty? Not the narrative the final needed!

That said, I’d like to see a video clip of the incident again. The still pictures don’t show how far the ball has traveled and at what speed.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I think the fact that it probably would have had to be a red card if they gave a penalty is exactly why they didn’t give a penalty.

Sending off one of the poster girls of the nation hosting the tournament in a final and giving the opposition a penalty? Not the narrative the final needed!

That said, I’d like to see a video clip of the incident again. The still pictures don’t show how far the ball has traveled and at what speed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/62372227

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Do people on here think attendances at Womens PL games will now increase

I really hope so, for me being in Reading I can’t justify supporting two teams in Brighton, I can’t afford the fuel costs and the time. If I lived in Brighton I would. I have watched the Brighton woman’s team get premonition a few years back when the played a Wycombe’s ground. I took my mum to the Amex to watch the woman’s team play Arsenal and bin to a few others. I have enjoyed watching them all. I would encourage anyone locally to go and support them especially if you have young daughters.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

They would probably have checked the direction of the ball for about 30 minutes before deciding if the player behind her was important or not.

The ball didn't travel very far, and quite fast, but in recent years - if your arms are in an unnatural position wide from the body - its a pen either way.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
I see the attendance of 87,192 was a record for ANY Uefa-organised match.

Didn't realise that England v Italy last year was just 67,173. Anyone know why it was so low? Additional media? Figure doesn't include comps, maybe?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Didn't realise that England v Italy last year was just 67,173. Anyone know why it was so low? Additional media? Figure doesn't include comps, maybe?

It is incorrect - any UEFA-organised international match, however. But there's been CL games with more attendance.

And yes, it was so low due to a hideous virus.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

I was amazed to hear that. Last year was reduced capacity because of covid - but I was really surprised that other previous Euro finals hadn't been higher than 87,000. And only around 6 World Cup Finals have had higher attendances. Astonishing.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This is weird Swanny I’m now getting notifications that you are posting quoting me when you aren’t (your last two posts on this thread) :moo:

Yeah some multi-quote shite acting up so I accidently quoted you and someone else and then edited it away. I will try to stop harrassing you.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Super proud and quite emotional by the end... this team have been inspirational throughout this tournament, with attacking football, desire, an obvious love of the game... encapsulated during the scenes at the end of the final.

They love the game, each other... not their wallets, sponsorship agreements and agents... ahem... it’s sooooo refreshing.

When compared to the men’s team... Grealish, Foden urghhhh God no wonder I can’t follow them anymore, abhorrent ‘pop star’ millionaires who should be working a back shift at ****ing KFC.

Well done to this England team, our England team and one far more reflective and representative of normal people.

My 8 year old son was/is enraptured... far more than I’ve seen in him when watching Garethball going sideways for hours on end with a bunch of unlikable ‘stars’ who clearly care more about their image rights than playing for their God Damn country.

I watched as many games as I could btw, loved every moment ... it’s been such a brilliant advert for the game ... here’s hoping we see the WSL prioritised more and more clubs like ours putting the ladies team on an almost equal footing in terms of coverage and content... another reason to be proud of our club :)
I agree with a lot of this, Kosh, especially the first few paras. The women did brilliantly and, personally, I can't stand the 'it's come home' piggy-backing and relating it to the men's team. The two sports are massively different at national level - and, while the woman are champions, the men will still be chasing an elusive dream for years.

Some fans might say it's come home, but they are probably some of the same fans who didn't want the women to bring it home - or even be playing football in the first place.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
It is incorrect - any UEFA-organised international match, however. But there's been CL games with more attendance.

And yes, it was so low due to a hideous virus.

Ah yes, thought it was an odd stat.

Forgot about Covid. Dur. Ironic given it was the reason I wasn't there. I don't think reducing the capacity by 20k did much to stop the spread, mind....

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I was amazed to hear that. Last year was reduced capacity because of covid - but I was really surprised that other previous Euro finals hadn't been higher than 87,000. And only around 6 World Cup Finals have had higher attendances. Astonishing.

There's two stadiums in Europe where you can have 87 000+ people attending, and Camp Nou never hosted a Euro final so its not that odd really.

Still great numbers of course. Wonder how many it would have been if it was Sweden vs France or something.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Super proud and quite emotional by the end... this team have been inspirational throughout this tournament, with attacking football, desire, an obvious love of the game... encapsulated during the scenes at the end of the final.

They love the game, each other... not their wallets, sponsorship agreements and agents... ahem... it’s sooooo refreshing.

When compared to the men’s team... Grealish, Foden urghhhh God no wonder I can’t follow them anymore, abhorrent ‘pop star’ millionaires who should be working a back shift at ****ing KFC.

Well done to this England team, our England team and one far more reflective and representative of normal people.

My 8 year old son was/is enraptured... far more than I’ve seen in him when watching Garethball going sideways for hours on end with a bunch of unlikable ‘stars’ who clearly care more about their image rights than playing for their God Damn country.

I watched as many games as I could btw, loved every moment ... it’s been such a brilliant advert for the game ... here’s hoping we see the WSL prioritised more and more clubs like ours putting the ladies team on an almost equal footing in terms of coverage and content... another reason to be proud of our club :)

Great post Kosh.

I’m another who doesn’t follow the men’s team anymore for a myriad of reasons, but I’m so pleased there is in England team that I can now nail my colours to with the women.

Can’t wait to the next world cup already! (Not the fake one in the desert).

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think the point is that we know the quality isn't as good and there is no need to keep bringing it up in conversation. I'm unsure of its relevance. Folk are just enjoying the women's game and its increased exposure and what has clearly been a raising of standards.

I can't stand Formula 1. But I won't go in that thread and start banging on about how dull I think watching cars go round and round a track is. I know folk enjoy it and I'll leave them to do so.
Have you watched a game.,the quality is there the difference is the physical strength in the men's game which also makes it faster. The footballing skill is there, look at the finish for the first goal and indeed the pass that led to it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Great post Kosh.

I’m another who doesn’t follow the men’s team anymore for a myriad of reasons, but I’m so pleased there is in England team that I can now nail my colours to with the women.

Can’t wait to the next world cup already! (Not the fake one in the desert).

Can't argue with any of that :wink:

Hope you're enjoying the summer.We both know what comes next :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here