Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women's Euro 2022 Final- England v Germany 31.07.2022- OFFICIAL THREAD

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
So ze Germans are moaning about a penalty claim for handball first half but the commentators barely mentioned it and was there a replay showing it? (I was busy making sausage rolls at half time so missed that analysis). Or just sour grape moaning?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Delighted that The Amex played a small part in the journey.

Of all of England's 6 games, I think the 2 at the Amex were arguably the best in very different ways.

The 8-0 demolition of a Norway team thought to have been genuine competitors created the belief after a nervy opening game.

Finding a way to beat a technically excellent Spanish side who'd outplayed England for most of the game showed a different side.

Win by a thumping, or win by getting it done with some vital tactical substitutions.

Both had their place in the journey.

Delighted that it was at our home too.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I wonder if the FA could talk Sarina Wiegman into becoming the England men's team manager. We'll never win anything with Southgate in charge.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I wonder if the FA could talk Sarina Wiegman into becoming the England men's team manager. We'll never win anything with Southgate in charge.

We were literally two penalties away from winning the equivalent tournament a year ago :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We were literally two penalties away from winning the equivalent tournament a year ago :shrug:

She is Dutch and would have allowed your boys to perhaps give it a try to score another goal, and then who knows what would have happened?

If England fail at the World Cup this year, media and fans will absolutely be pushing for Wiegman.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
That’s simply not true.

Sky wouldn’t be paying mega billions for passion-free football nor us turning up for it. Think Maupay or Knocky winding up the Palace or the 90 minutes of non stop effort and organisation from us away at Spurs. Mersey derbys. Title deciders.

There have been over 1000 goals in each of the last six Premier League seasons and the highest goal average per season was 2018-19.

Yes, England scored 8 in one game but against a team with a worse defence than the Birmingham Six. You won’t see many 8-0s in men’s tournament football

I was referring to the England team and not the domestic game. However the England mens team is like watching paint dry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
She is Dutch and would have allowed your boys to perhaps give it a try to score another goal, and then who knows what would have happened?

If England fail at the World Cup this year, media and fans will absolutely be pushing for Wiegman.

No they won’t. England will appoint Potter and you’ll have to become an England fan :lolol:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Not a brilliant game but very worthy tournament winners, great for wimmin firstly and the nation as a whole. In terms of time wasting and into the corner though that was a painful 10 minutes and started earlier than any game I have ever seen. So to say the women's game is oh so uncynical (?) and gamesmanship free compared to the men is bobbins if you ask me!

Quite a scrappy game compared to many of the others in the tournament - but that's often the way for finals. The nerves and passion meant that neither team could really keep hold of the ball for long. As for the 'taking it into the corner' - this is tried so often, and generally it can 'waste' 30 seconds or so. I don't remember seeing it done so well - they must have spent almost four minutes in about 15-20 yards from the corner!

Let's not forget that the men pretty nearly did win the Euros last year.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Wow... what a tournament, what a journey, what a final.

Impossible to pick out just one England player of the tournament but Mary Earps and Milly Bright were just immense :bowdown:

They would be my picks too - I loved the way Bright just played the simple ball so often. She reads the game so well. And Earps was great at calming things down when it got a bit frenetic - as well as being an excellent keeper.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
[Tweet]1553837406440267777[/Tweet]

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Southgate’s type of football is tedious and relies on scoring early and then holding on for grim death. As with CH (similar style if we are honest) it works with similar or weaker teams, however it was carnage against better teams. Saying that Italy were very, very poor and we still managed to balls it up.

Anyway, great tournament and a major trophy to boot.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Getting sick to death of all these pious comments looking down on the mens game. Let's be honest, every single one of the women's team would swap places with the money and acclaim the men get.

Why can't people just enjoy the moment. Treat them as two different sports because that's effectively what they are.

Just to add, fantastic and emotional achievement. Bring on the World Cup in 2023.

I think you missed the ads: "Women play football - not women's football".

It's the same game, the same rules.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Southgate’s type of football is tedious and relies on scoring early and then holding on for grim death. As with CH (similar style if we are honest) it works with similar or weaker teams, however it was carnage against better teams. Saying that Italy were very, very poor and we still managed to balls it up.

Anyway, great tournament and a major trophy to boot.

The style means that any quality side can play for a draw safe in the knowledge that they’ll smash us in the penalty shoot out.

Easy for Italy in the final.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I was referring to the England team and not the domestic game. However the England mens team is like watching paint dry.

Southgate’s team has scored 158 goals in 78 games at an average of 2 per game and he has the third best win percentage ever.

I can also get a bit frustrated when I see us playing 4-2-3-1 yet again but it’s because we have about 10 similar CAMs and very average centre backs.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I think you missed the ads: "Women play football - not women's football".

It's the same game, the same rules.

So we’re all good to compare the quality to men’s football then? Only I’ve been explicitly told not to by NSC.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So ze Germans are moaning about a penalty claim for handball first half but the commentators barely mentioned it and was there a replay showing it? (I was busy making sausage rolls at half time so missed that analysis). Or just sour grape moaning?

Yup, a lot of the half-time talk here in Sweden was also about the handball, which was very obvious from replays.

handball1.jpg

handball2.jpg

Penalty and probably technically a red card but more fair with a yellow. But VAR has been shit pretty much all tournament, no surprise they missed it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Do people on here think attendances at Womens PL games will now increase

Fascinated to see what happens. I went to a pretty meaningless championship level friendly earlier today expecting to be in a crowd of a couple of dozen and there were nearly 300 there.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Southgate’s team has scored 158 goals in 78 games at an average of 2 per game and he has the third best win percentage ever.

I can also get a bit frustrated when I see us playing 4-2-3-1 yet again but it’s because we have about 10 similar CAMs and very average centre backs.

He could have the the best winning percentage but he blew it against Italy and also against Croatia in the WC. That BTW was the opinion of the multitude of Germans at the resort we were at! What makes it galling is that we were the best team at the Euro’s.

He is a genuinely nice guy but his style of football has been consigned to the bin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here