Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women's Euro 2022 Final- England v Germany 31.07.2022- OFFICIAL THREAD

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yup, a lot of the half-time talk here in Sweden was also about the handball, which was very obvious from replays.

View attachment 150490

View attachment 150491

Penalty and probably technically a red card but more fair with a yellow. But VAR has been shit pretty much all tournament, no surprise they missed it.

They’ve not shown any VAR during decisions on English terrestrial TV and that wasn’t shown once.

That said, I agree, the refereeing was appalling in the final.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Not a brilliant game but very worthy tournament winners, great for wimmin firstly and the nation as a whole. In terms of time wasting and into the corner though that was a painful 10 minutes and started earlier than any game I have ever seen. So to say the women's game is oh so uncynical (?) and gamesmanship free compared to the men is bobbins if you ask me!

I wonder if the FA could talk Sarina Wiegman into becoming the England men's team manager. We'll never win anything with Southgate in charge.

Do people on here think attendances at Womens PL games will now increase

Yes. Mrs Bodian wants to go and see Liverpool v Brighton at Prenton Park in April. Last time I managed to get her to a game was a cold afternoon in a windy Blackpool and she swore she'd never go again. So that's an increase of 2. If that's replicated by others - then it should begin to grow.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Getting sick to death of all these pious comments looking down on the mens game. Let's be honest, every single one of the women's team would swap places with the money and acclaim the men get.

Why can't people just enjoy the moment. Treat them as two different sports because that's effectively what they are.

Just to add, fantastic and emotional achievement. Bring on the World Cup in 2023.

I'll add to the pious comments then.

Tonight held a mirror up to men's game and how it has become infected by money and the media. Genuine emotional reaction from the players, no pre-planned MOTD friendly sound bites.

No coked up dick heads at Wembley, trying to break in. No media fascination with their partners or their sexual preference.

Tonight was the night that showed the men's game has a lot to learn from the women's.

Because it wins you tournaments.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
They’ve not shown any VAR during decisions on English terrestrial TV and that wasn’t shown once.

That said, I agree, the refereeing was appalling in the final.

Was that during the scramble from the corner. My first instinct live was that there had been a handball - but couldn't see it on the replays they showed (admittedly they weren't looking for a handball, it was more shots from inside the goal).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think you missed the ads: "Women play football - not women's football".

It's the same game, the same rules.

The point I'm making is that the focus should just be on developing the women's game rather than all these pointless comparisons to the men's game which, like it or not is on a different level. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it, I'd love it to flourish and go from strength to strength. I've seen my local womens team and have been to previous internationals at the Amex as well as running a girls team for 8 years. I fully support it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Whether the quality is similar or not, it's the same game. Just like the game played in League 2 is the same as in the Premier League.

Totally agree with that but not what I’ve been told by a few on here.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton

Tonight held a mirror up to men's game and how it has become infected by money and the media. Genuine emotional reaction from the players, no pre-planned MOTD friendly sound bites.

No coked up dick heads at Wembley, trying to break in. No media fascination with their partners or their sexual preference.

Tonight was the night that showed the men's game has a lot to learn from the women's.

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Yup, a lot of the half-time talk here in Sweden was also about the handball, which was very obvious from replays.

View attachment 150490

View attachment 150491

Penalty and probably technically a red card but more fair with a yellow. But VAR has been shit pretty much all tournament, no surprise they missed it.

Thanks. No German players , not even the German player stood in front of her, claimed for the handball though?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

So you're going to stop watching any men's football then?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

View attachment 150490

View attachment 150491

Not got over getting your arses spanked last week have ya…diddums

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Do people on here think attendances at Womens PL games will now increase

Judging from how it's been elsewhere - yes, for a few months and then a drop off to similar levels as before.

Money and time must be invested to make it last.

The reason why people watch football is hardly the quality. If Brighton and Manchester United were two completely new clubs with no history, limited PR and all that, not many people would bother watch the game next week. Culture, tradition, rivalries, companionship among supporters, history, media attention along with modern things like nice seats, lots of camera angles to make a dull game seem more interesting and so is what makes people watch it, and none of the clubs have been able to build that yet for the women's sides.

People need forums (like tv-shows, internet forums, clubs doing interviews with players, pubs close to stadiums etc.) to discuss their experiences or it just turns boring in due time.

It can't really be built organically in the modern era, time and money need to be invested to create that. I'm hoping England won't make the same mistake as many others and believe that its just going to happen magically... you could say that the hard work begins now.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

View attachment 150490

View attachment 150491

Nope was not a penalty , var checked , no GERMAN APPEALED , and as for a red card you must still be looking for payback after your lot got stuffed 4-0

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not got over getting your arses spanked last week have ya…diddums

Don't have any issues with that. Just telling it like it is: should have been a penalty. Happy England won in the end :shrug:

Thanks. No German players , not even the German player stood in front of her, claimed for the handball though?

Nope, don't think anyone saw it but Williamson looked pretty nervous just afterwards. VAR checked for both the handball and the ball possibly crossing the line (which it clearly didn't) but I guess they were blind as always.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Nope was not a penalty , var checked , no GERMAN APPEALED , and as for a red card you must still be looking for payback after your lot got stuffed 4-0

VAR checked, yes.. but I could tell you plenty of occasions when VAR checked and got it wrong. And no German appealed because they might not have seen it and also there's not a ****load of surrounding the referee when women play football. They just keep going.

As for the red card, if you're an outfield player preventing the ball from going in with your hand, you quite often get a red card for denying a goal scoring opportunity. But think a yellow would have been more likely and more fair in this situation.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Not a brilliant game but very worthy tournament winners, great for wimmin firstly and the nation as a whole. In terms of time wasting and into the corner though that was a painful 10 minutes and started earlier than any game I have ever seen. So to say the women's game is oh so uncynical (?) and gamesmanship free compared to the men is bobbins if you ask me!

I wonder if the FA could talk Sarina Wiegman into becoming the England men's team manager. We'll never win anything with Southgate in charge.

VAR checked, yes.. but I could tell you plenty of occasions when VAR checked and got it wrong. And no German appealed because they might not have seen it and also there's not a ****load of surrounding the referee when women play football. They just keep going.

As for the red card, if you're an outfield player preventing the ball from going in with your hand, you quite often get a red card for denying a goal scoring opportunity. But think a yellow would have been more likely and more fair in this situation.

Even if it did hit her arm, it didn't deny a goal, there was a player behind her. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/62372227

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here