Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women's Euro 2022 Final- England v Germany 31.07.2022- OFFICIAL THREAD

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Some good points made but think pundits etc are getting carried away. This was the Euros where we have done very well. An occasion not week by week womens league football. Wright talks about more money going into womens game. You tell Bloom that after putting millions into training facilities ,tickets £5 and busing people to the ground for nothing. Because it was a big event Euros were great but after going to a couple of Albion womens games can assure you no comparison. OK for Wright to say get more people in ground but what else can you do. Will go to odd game but no way would I consider going to 2 games in a week and anyway could never show the same emotion to a game as the men after watching them for 25 years. It needs a new audience and hopefully many of Euro attendees will go to league games. On question of wages I am sure England squad will deservingly get very big bonuses but rightly this wont reflect lower down until crowds increase and more sponsors show interest.

There will be a new and different audience……….big question is whether it’ll stick and/or continue to grow. If it does, sponsors will flock in as well - far cheaper than sponsorship or advertising in the mens game, an arguably more wholesome and less tainted product and openings for some very different sponsors to the plethora of betting companies the mens game relies on.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Some good points made but think pundits etc are getting carried away. This was the Euros where we have done very well. An occasion not week by week womens league football. Wright talks about more money going into womens game. You tell Bloom that after putting millions into training facilities ,tickets £5 and busing people to the ground for nothing. Because it was a big event Euros were great but after going to a couple of Albion womens games can assure you no comparison. OK for Wright to say get more people in ground but what else can you do. Will go to odd game but no way would I consider going to 2 games in a week and anyway could never show the same emotion to a game as the men after watching them for 25 years. It needs a new audience and hopefully many of Euro attendees will go to league games. On question of wages I am sure England squad will deservingly get very big bonuses but rightly this wont reflect lower down until crowds increase and more sponsors show interest.

Amazing that you have that view - when despite Brighton getting £120M a season from Sky, we lost £60M last season - in fact we’ve never even broken even since being in the Premier League and our losses grow every year. So sniping at the womens game about sustainability is wrong

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I’ll explain it… Culture & History & Misogyny.

Cheers, I'm sure that's the case - I do hope you're not accusing me of misogyny though?!? I was simply explaining how I felt, what it meant to me. I was, I'm sure you'll agree, being honest. One can only hope that the kids of today are more engaged than us.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

I agree with all of this.

Good points [MENTION=20814]amexer[/MENTION] except to say that you won't actually be the target audience. Euro crowds have been mixed but predominantly women and a new crowd of supporters will make up the new bigger WPL crowds.

I firmly believe 10-12k is possible quite regularly at the Amex if it's targeted properly.

The Euros was great but I just don't see that level of support and interest following into the normal league fair. There will clearly be an increased interest in the England team now but can't see that carrying through into women's football. A lot of the crowd was made up of women/girls that were coached in with schools/clubs etc. Is that going to happen for Brighton v whoever, even if it is at the Amex. And even if it started that way, can it be maintained? Tickets are currently very cheap, and tv money is low, which means any game at the AMEX (and even Crawley) is heavily subsidised by the club. If attendances increase ticket prices will as well. Are people really going to start paying £40+ for tickets rather than £5-10?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Absolutely brilliant night and I'm still buzzing this morning. Finally I've seen England win another senior football tournament. Didn't think I'd have to wait so long since 1966, but there you go.

I hope people aren't expecting crowds of 10,000+ regularly at WSL games though. I think it'll be more like cricket where Test matches sell out, everyone goes crazy when we beat the Aussies .... and the proverbial one man and a dog is still a bumper crowd at a County Championship game. Happy to be proved wrong when the next WSL season kicks off.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
People are not going to start paying £40 for a ticket because the product isn't good enough yet. But they will turn up in numbers for £20 and £5 for concessions at a proper stadium in a televised national league. And then the product will get better because those numbers make professionalism viable.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Good points [MENTION=20814]amexer[/MENTION] except to say that you won't actually be the target audience. Euro crowds have been mixed but predominantly women and a new crowd of supporters will make up the new bigger WPL crowds.

I firmly believe 10-12k is possible quite regularly at the Amex if it's targeted properly.

I’d like to see that but isn’t the stadium limited to how many matches can be played, a year?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There will be a new and different audience……….big question is whether it’ll stick and/or continue to grow. If it does, sponsors will flock in as well - far cheaper than sponsorship or advertising in the mens game, an arguably more wholesome and less tainted product and openings for some very different sponsors to the plethora of betting companies the mens game relies on.

Nike should certainly be sponsoring sports bras.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
ps) Germany have historically been the most successful women's team in football. Their league attendances (in a country with incredible men's support) average less than a thousand people. It's a very hard nut to crack.

Interesting article here:

https://www.dw.com/en/womens-champi...co-attendance-papers-over-problems/a-61289476

Average crowds of 1000 is equivalent of National Leagues North / South, so not to be sniffed at for the evolution of the women’s game. Think in this country bigger games get 4k, so you’re into League Two levels in a lot of cases. It will take time but the evidence is that it’s really growing and a whole lot of people who perhaps are put off by some of the men’s football culture will be attracted by the growing competitiveness of women’s football. It’s a sense of scale really.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Amazing that you have that view - when despite Brighton getting £120M a season from Sky, we lost £60M last season - in fact we’ve never even broken even since being in the Premier League and our losses grow every year. So sniping at the womens game about sustainability is wrong

Find it very hard to understand why you consider I am sniping at the womens game. Completely opposite. Fantastic that it is now the norm for young girls to have the availability to play football and cricket. My comments were how do you make it self funding. My only interest in football is the Albion and final stages of big tournaments including women.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Find it very hard to understand why you consider I am sniping at the womens game. Completely opposite. Fantastic that it is now the norm for young girls to have the availability to play football and cricket. My comments were how do you make it self funding. My only interest in football is the Albion and final stages of big tournaments including women.

I wasn’t aiming it at you specifically - but why does it have to be self funding, when the mens team isn’t ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Average crowds of 1000 is equivalent of National Leagues North / South, so not to be sniffed at for the evolution of the women’s game. Think in this country bigger games get 4k, so you’re into League Two levels in a lot of cases. It will take time but the evidence is that it’s really growing and a whole lot of people who perhaps are put off by some of the men’s football culture will be attracted by the growing competitiveness of women’s football. It’s a sense of scale really.

Interesting debate to be had about segregation/away ends at some point. One of the big plusses for many at the moment is the lack of any need to do this.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
People are not going to start paying £40 for a ticket because the product isn't good enough yet. But they will turn up in numbers for £20 and £5 for concessions at a proper stadium in a televised national league. And then the product will get better because those numbers make professionalism viable.

its a tricky one , the product doesnt need to be good to get the crowds and interest going. The key thing to growing it to mens levels is the type of crowd it attracts. The tournament has been good but it has felt very much like a celeb charity games ( amex was alright though ). If they can some how get some tribalism in the stands going and some passionate singing then it could really develop.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Fantastic that it is now the norm for young girls to have the availability to play football and cricket.

I'm waiting for a time when it's the norm for young girls to have the availability to play rugby. As someone who coaches a girls team, I find it frustrating that only three secondary schools in the area offer rugby to girls. And, as mentioned above, offering football to girls is not by itself enough.

I'd like the women's Euro win to act as a springboard for all sports so that there's no longer an artificial divide between sports offered to boys at school and those offered to girls.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I wasn’t aiming it at you specifically - but why does it have to be self funding, when the mens team isn’t ?

Well that is another subject all together. Apart from Albions involvement that I admit to enjoying, the money in PL is immoral including wages. So many of owners just enjoy owning a PL club and no worry if they lose money. Albions recent losses came because of covid but have no doubt Bloom will make them self sufficient and not try and compete with other owners. He will continue to try and buy at 3/10 million and sell for 25m plus.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The other thing about the attendances which is rarely mentioned is that nearly all the WSL and championship games kick off at 2pm on a Sunday which isn't really a great time for casual supporters especially with kids

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Great result and a pretty good match. I enjoyed the second half.
Finding all this “it’s come home” and hysteria in the papers today a bit cringe. A great day for the Lionesses and very inspiring for women and girls everywhere but it hasn’t “come home” and everybody knows it hasn’t. It’s not home until our Men’s team win. Deep down, everyone knows that.

But well done ladies! Awesome achievement.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Absolutely brilliant night and I'm still buzzing this morning. Finally I've seen England win another senior football tournament. Didn't think I'd have to wait so long since 1966, but there you go.

I hope people aren't expecting crowds of 10,000+ regularly at WSL games though. I think it'll be more like cricket where Test matches sell out, everyone goes crazy when we beat the Aussies .... and the proverbial one man and a dog is still a bumper crowd at a County Championship game. Happy to be proved wrong when the next WSL season kicks off.

Yeah, even if you never watch womens football, hard to not taken in pure by the pure celebration of yesterday. Absolute scenes at the final whistle...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here