Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wolves in for Ashley Barnes

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Managers who are so f***ing stubborn that they refuse to change the style their team plays, even though is obvious its not working as one win in ten games while chasing promotion clearly proves, shouldn't throw stones in glass houses.

You are very clever with your modus operandi. Anyone can find a negative in anything and concentrate on that. It does make for interesting discussion, but used excessively becomes trolling.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I guess it would take at least a couple of million for us to sell Barnes.

I would argue that if we got a firm offer in the 500k to 750k region, the club would let him go.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Can't see us selling Barnes whilst he is one of only 2 fit and available strikers at the club.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
we appear to be having enough problems getting a new striker in without letting the only fit one go. I just can't see this happening anytime soon.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Funny thing is though, Gus telling everyone who critises Barnes doesn't understand football, was the same Gus who the then went on to oversee this promotion charge. I think his timing may have been a little out.

L 17.03.2012 Blackpool away L1-3 8 58
W 20.03.2012 Derby County home W2-0 4 61
D 24.03.2012 Nottingham Forest away D1-1 4 62
D 31.03.2012 Middlesbrough home D1-1 6 63
L 06.04.2012 Burnley away L0-1 6 63
L 10.04.2012 Reading home L0-1 7 63
L 14.04.2012 West Ham United away L0-6 8 63
D 17.04.2012 Watford home D2-2 9 64
D 21.04.2012 Birmingham City home D1-1 9 65
D 28.04.2012 Barnsley away D0-0 10 66

Yer, I think I'll take with a pinch of salt, a managers view, when the next thing he does is oversee form like that, whilst bluntly refusing to change style. Maybe he thinks his style was working during that run, and didn't need to change it. Anyone who went to Blackpool, Burnley and West Ham will tell you we were f***ing clueless in those games, and Poyet done nothing to chnage it. It took him 3 goals at West Ham to get his arse out of his seat.

But then hey Gus, its only Gary Dicker who fully understands how to play your system!! And thats direct from Poyets own mouth.......

See a little problem there, when by the managers own admission, only one player fully understands the system

I love it when people take what Gus says literally to completely serve their own agenda - bearing in mind Gus's first language is not english (and frankly never will be)

I will remind you where we were when Gus took over, and where we were before that little run started - disappointing yes, Gus a sh!t manager - no.

Bore off.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
You are very clever with your modus operandi. Anyone can find a negative in anything and concentrate on that. It does make for interesting discussion, but used excessively becomes trolling.

Well a negative, that causes a run of one win in ten during a promtion charge, a run of results that in most cases would see a manager sacked, and a run of results that happened twice in the same season, I would say its a fairly important thing to concentrate on. Poyet is not the messiah people think he is. Hopefully he will take advise on those close to him, and have a plan B and more importantly use it from time to time. But if he carries over his stubborness and one track mind into the new season, and teams work out how to beat the system as they did last year, then I think its fairly safe to say we'll have a new manager by bonfire night.

If he learns to play to the squads strength, and not try and prove a system works with a squad of players not capable of it, he could well become the messiah.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I would be disappointed if we let Barnes go for anything less than £2m. Forget about his goals, his footballing brain and ability to follow tactical instructions make him one of our most important players.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
He's in the last year of his contract (I think), so if this is true AND he wants to go, then he'll be on his way.

Out of contract now I think. He signed a 2 year deal in august 2010.

Which means he can make any deal that suits him, be it Wolves, us or Manure. Up to him now (or his agent)

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I love it when people take what Gus says literally to completely serve their own agenda - bearing in mind Gus's first language is not english (and frankly never will be)

I will remind you where we were when Gus took over, and where we were before that little run started - disappointing yes, Gus a sh!t manager - no.

Bore off.
Gus has said the Dicker quote enough times to know exactly whats he's saying.

Taking of bore off, get over where we were when Gus took over. We had a underachiving squad, who with a number of additions Gus stormed the league with. Yes he was excellent in league one, but he has proved that he is incapable of changing things when things need changing when the opposition is better.

So I would take it by your reply, IF Poyet stuck with the same style that saw us go on our second poor run of the season last time out, and carried that over into this season and after ten games we had one win and 8 points, you'd be happy with that would you?

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Managers who are so f***ing stubborn that they refuse to change the style their team plays, even though is obvious its not working as one win in ten games while chasing promotion clearly proves, shouldn't throw stones in glass houses.

Which team in the championship or prem do you manage?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Out of contract now I think. He signed a 2 year deal in august 2010.

Which means he can make any deal that suits him, be it Wolves, us or Manure. Up to him now (or his agent)

He's under contract to 2013 at least. And I think at the end of that we'll be entitled to some buttons for him, as he'll still be under 24 (I think)

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Gus has said the Dicker quote enough times to know exactly whats he's saying.

Taking of bore off, get over where we were when Gus took over. We had a underachiving squad, who with a number of additions Gus stormed the league with. Yes he was excellent in league one, but he has proved that he is incapable of changing things when things need changing when the opposition is better.

So I would take it by your reply, IF Poyet stuck with the same style that saw us go on our second poor run of the season last time out, and carried that over into this season and after ten games we had one win and 8 points, you'd be happy with that would you?

I don't need to get over where we were when Gus took over at all. It's a FACT, not my opinion.

So let me just get this straight. You believe, that with the squad of players we had, we SHOULD have at very least made the play-offs and according to you, won them, yes? (Based on your underachieving quote). Despite the FACT that last season, only 1 player in the entire squad (Vicente) has played regularly in any top division in Europe, and he didn't even play much until towards the end of the season.

Even now, we still only are going to have 4 players in the squad who have played regularly in a top division and Kuszcak and Saltor playing REGULARLY is stretching it. So, enlighten me, where is this squad underachieving exactly?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here