Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wolves in for Ashley Barnes

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

You forgot 'Of'

Back on topic, we did try to play a more direct style last year when we signed Paynter and Vokes. It didn't work very well, but that doesn't mean we can't try it again.

Two out and out wingers is a luxury IMO though in every game, they spend too much time with hands on hips waiting for someone to pass to them, and the match bypasses them.

It does work in some games, not in others.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
You forgot 'Of'

Back on topic, we did try to play a more direct style last year when we signed Paynter and Vokes. It didn't work very well, but that doesn't mean we can't try it again.

Two out and out wingers is a luxury IMO though in every game, they spend too much time with hands on hips waiting for someone to pass to them, and the match bypasses them.

It does work in some games, not in others.
But I think the problem with how we played it last year, is the target man had no one to play off him, and whenever CMS did play with one of the others, it was in fits and starts, there was never time to get an understanding going.

I wouldn't say go mroe direct in every game. Just when needed. If things are not going well, change it, and thats what Gus didn't do last year, dispite our shocking end of season form.

For all those (not aimed at you) who think we should just stick to a Plan A of Gus' tappy tappy, in my opinion boring style, then it may come as a shock that Gus is still looking for a target man with presence. But than I suppose when/if this striker arrives and we play to the target man, ala Murray in the championship winning season, then like sheep they'll love the system.

If I was to make just one critism of Gus, it would be letting Murray go.

I know to some he is shit and scum, because he went to Selhurst, but for those who can see beyond that, we the additions we made last summer, if he held onto Murray then we would have been a far greater force last season. Those who think that is bullshit, can. Its their opinion, but the fact we are trying to sign someone like him, if not actually him, suggest Gus knows he dropped a clanger, and for the sake of two grand a week, when you consider the serious money we threw at Vicente to sit out most of the season, the couple of hundred extra grand over the course of Murrays contract, seems like pennies now.

brightoon

Jun 13, 2011
Greer's always had that ability - we should use it more. Probably our best goal of last season was scored exactly like this (home to Ipswich). Greer, long diagonal ball to Buckley, clipped cross to CMS, bang. Ten seconds from Greer to goal.

This was my favourite goal of last season. Not a screamer into the top corner but it had everything, Accuracy, speed, a great final ball and clinical finish. Could watch it over and over again.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Wolves have accepted Sunderland's bid of 12 million and are missing one striker. This thread could get interesting.

I would disagree with that - they bought Björn Bergmann Sigurðarson before the start of the season. I think the manager sees him as a direct replacement for Fletcher.

Wolves are actually trying to reduce their squad at the moment - the current manager, Solbakken, or whatever-his-face-is, likes to have a smaller squad whereas Mick McCarthy used a 42 man squad last season. What Wolves have done very well is getting stupid amounts of money for players considering the manager has openly stated he wants to reduce the squad. Whoever negotiates transfers on Wolves behalf is, in my mind, a frikkin genius.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here